Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and I haven't been riding for awhile. I just purchased a bike listed on craigslist and it's my first yamaha. It's a 2000 model with 17k miles and seems to be in good condition except minor rashes on the left fairings.

Nothing else seems wrong with it but I noticed a high pitched whine when the bike started up and idled. The bike is pretty much stock except for a slip-on exhaust.

I also noticed this soft ticking sound that didn't sound like metal hitting metal. It came specifically from the right side of the bike near the front/bottom end of the gas tank. I can't figure out what it could be. I managed to bring the price down by $500 so I can get this bike inspected and fixed if necessary.

Are these two sounds common to 2000 r6's? Are there common problems with the 2000 r6 that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
330 Posts
That tick could just be the "Yamaha Tick"-a lot of Yamaha's have it. My old FZ6 had it, and my 07 R6 has it. High pitched whine? Where does it seem to be coming from? Engine, exhaust, electrical?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the fast response.

i hope that ticking sound is "normal." I was scared that it was low compression in one of the cylinders or something...

as for the whine, it seems to be coming from the engine and i don't think it is electrical

·
Registered
365 Posts
there is a common problem with 2nd gear on the 1st gen R6. do a search and you'll find it info on it. so far i have had no problems with my 2000

·
Registered
23 Posts
That ticking noise is more than likely the valves moving ever so slightly in the valve guides. I have been a tech for many years now and every one makes this ticking. This coming from Yamaha regional service rep. Just ignore it and keep on rippin. My 01 has 42,000 miles now, and just keeps on tickin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you so much guys. i'll look into the 2nd gear thing but now i feel so much better about my purchase. can't wait to start riding again

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi. i dont know about the highpitch noise, but my 2000 r6 needed a new cam chain tensioner at 18000 miles when it starts going it makes a ticking noise from that part of the engine , easy job for the garage cost me 49 uk pounds.cheers rich

·
Registered
796 Posts
yea my bike ticks like a mofo. nothin to worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the same problem. but the ? now is how do you replace it. ive looked everywere on how to replace the cam chain my self but cant seem to find anything on it. could someone tell me if it is easy or if it is possible to do it your self and how to do it and maybe what tools i need. also what parts should i get for it? should i get a chain and sprocket for it with a ape self chain tensioner?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the same problem. but the ? now is how do you replace it. ive looked everywere on how to replace the cam chain my self but cant seem to find anything on it. could someone tell me if it is easy or if it is possible to do it your self and how to do it and maybe what tools i need. also what parts should i get for it? should i get a chain and sprocket for it with a ape self chain tensioner?
Well I don't really know why u shootin to replace cam chain, but yeah u can do it yourself. All u have to do is pull the motor and split the cases to get the chain off the crank. I don't think I have ever seen an R6 with a bad chain or tensioner.But if u must, I would do just the tensioner. Really easy, all u need is 5mm allen,10mm wrench, and straight screwdriver. Let me know how that works out for ya.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the yama-tik i was told the same thing just ignore it

scoff all you want but i found running like a 1/4 of lucas takes it away
flame now i know i used an additive in my oil

·
Registered
749 Posts
The hi pitch noise is weird. I had wondered about it on my 02. In my searched I founf 2 conclusions:

1-Air being sucked into the motr due to the ram air intake. Thats 1 whistle
2-If you have an aftermarket exhaust on your bike you may hear the same or a different squeel. There is a servo motor that no one knows what it does so they bypass it. Its in forums somewhere....

·
Registered
4 Posts
so the tensioner could justbe loose? i was told that stock r6 are self adjusting. i was also readign that the chains go bad after 23000 miles, i have 21000 on my bike. so that is why i asked about the chain thing. but i will see about adjusting the tensioner tonight and get back with ya

·
Registered
23 Posts
so the tensioner could justbe loose? i was told that stock r6 are self adjusting. i was also readign that the chains go bad after 23000 miles, i have 21000 on my bike. so that is why i asked about the chain thing. but i will see about adjusting the tensioner tonight and get back with ya
They are automatic adjusters. My 2001 R6 has 42,000 miles now, and no problems with my tensioner or cam chain. Try this, on the end of said tensioner there is a 10mm head bolt. Remove this bolt. Now with the motor running stick a small screwdriver in there and apply a little pressure. See if the noise lessens or goes away.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They are automatic adjusters. My 2001 R6 has 42,000 miles now, and no problems with my tensioner or cam chain. Try this, on the end of said tensioner there is a 10mm head bolt. Remove this bolt. Now with the motor running stick a small screwdriver in there and apply a little pressure. See if the noise lessens or goes away.

42,000 miles... thats awesome! I hope mine lasts that long...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just met a guy today that bought an 07 and the motor blew at 9000mi. He has an 05 again.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts