Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2000 r6 that i jsut bought. within the week that i bought it there was a knocking/ ticking sound in the front end of the engine just under the gas tank. i was told a that is was probably the the cam chain was loose and i needed to tighten it. but then i was told by someone else that you cant tighten the stock chain, its a self adjusting. what should i do about it and how do u replace it? i wanna save money and do it myself, and if i have to replace it i want to put a self adjusting chain tensioner on it. is it hard to replace or should i take it in to have done? were do i find directions on how to do it myself?

·
I Ride Yamamaha R6
113 Posts
I have an 04 R6 and the same issue about 3 months after buying mine. I took it to the shop and was told it was the timing tensioner, Its automatic and sometimes they are just noisy. This is buggin me cause at around 4gs I hear it more than the motor and wind noise. Any Help here would be very nice.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
hell i got a 07 and it does it as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 06 that does it as well...My buddy graduates from MMI in orlando in one month so when get gets back i'm gunna have him take a look at it. I'll let you know what he says and if/how we fix it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
my 07 does it also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
'06 model, and mine does it as well.

I'm glad to hear it is a yamaha thing, and not my engine messed up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
mine too. if you guys think that clicking is bad get on a kawasaki. kawi's have the same thing but 20x louder. hell even my old kawi 4 wheeler had the timing chain tick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told by the dealer that its just the motor ticking and its normal. I bought mines brand new and i was flipping out. There nothing you can really do but try to ignore ot.

·
I have short legs :(
98 Posts
2008 +1 yamaha mechanic says its completely normal for a yamaha.
I was a bit worried too..

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have a 2000 r6 that i jsut bought. within the week that i bought it there was a knocking/ ticking sound in the front end of the engine just under the gas tank. i was told a that is was probably the the cam chain was loose and i needed to tighten it. but then i was told by someone else that you cant tighten the stock chain, its a self adjusting. what should i do about it and how do u replace it? i wanna save money and do it myself, and if i have to replace it i want to put a self adjusting chain tensioner on it. is it hard to replace or should i take it in to have done? were do i find directions on how to do it myself?
Do you have a video clip on how your sound I want to see if it sounds like mines I just took mines to the shop about a week or so ago so I will let you know what they say. It was making a loud ticking knocking noise... I dont think this is normal and if it is I cant ride like that theres noway to ignore that noise...

·
Registered
158 Posts
My R6 does it to at 6-8k rpm's. Dealer said it was normal to f$%k it. Get used to it.:jacked

·
Registered
158 Posts
One of the wrenches at the shop told me it was common in the older r6's ( tensioners were junk) but said he hadn't heard of any complaints as of late, except for mine.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
I have the same deal on my 08.. It starts around 8K.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ticking noice + ipod = I never heard this ticking noice

it is normal to have that noice all my bikes except for gsxr have it.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
would anyone else describe the tick as like metal tacs rattling inside the engine? Or is the classic yamaha tick something different. Mine I am not sure I would now classify as a tick after stopping and listening to it, but it does start around 6-8k rpms on hard acceleration.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts