Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving out of state and I want to make sure im hauling my bike correctly. The Tie downs i have a canyon dancers, but I have been hearing some bad reviews on them..I'm worried ill ruin my handlebars, so I just want to know the best way to tie down a bike in the back of a truck. any help guys?

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
I've used Canyon Dancers many times and never had problems. I usually run a ratchet strap through the passenger pegs to stabilize the rear.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
the soft ones are garbage. The ones with the cupped plastic ends are much nicer.
You dont over cinch (load the suspension) and make sure your front wheel is properly chocked.
having tie downs going every which way isnt any safer either.

·
Premium Member
35,476 Posts
I think it's more the tie downs instead of the canyon dancers that will ruin things. I would get the pull tie downs instead of the ratchet ones because the ratchet ones can over tighten. If you sit on your bike and pull hard on the pull tie downs, you should be good. Worked for me at least.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i don't even pull that hard anymore - i aint about to blow a fork seal. as long as it doesn't fall over when i shake it, i'm fine. i BARELY put any pressure on my dirt bike when i had it.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I crank the shit way down on mine. never had a fork seal blow out. not sure how that is even possible. more of a urban myth.
if it were true, every time you ride your bike a seal would blow out. think about it....
and no it doesn't weaken the springs either.

no way do I trust those pull type straps. way too many of stuff of mine has come loose before with those.
I use the new canyon dancer. I have 3 old style. they will twist the grips that's all they do.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I crank the shit way down on mine. never had a fork seal blow out. not sure how that is even possible. more of a urban myth.
if it were true, every time you ride your bike a seal would blow out. think about it....

no way do I trust those pull type straps. way too many of stuff of mine has come loose before with those.
I use the new canyon dancer. I have 3 old style. they will twist the grips that's all they do.
has nothing to do with blown forkseals... think of "pop goes the weasel" when one of those cinched down straps come loose, break, bend or the part anchored to fails.
Regardless... the fabric canyon dancer method isnt the safest way and neither is any method involving straps. Its cheap, but not safe.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts

I agree with the first part. If hitting a bump with your bike cinched down in the back of the truck caused your seals to fail, then they would fail every time you hit a bump while braking on the street.

I disagree with the second part. I have been using cam style straps exclusively for the past 5 years with no problems. Actually, my bike did fall over once in the trailer, but that was my user error on my part. I suspect people who don't trust cam straps because they come loose are just doing it wrong.

As for Canyon Dancers, I have used the new style with hard plastic cups a lot with no problems.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Meh...Cd's with Baxley choke FTW! No need to pin that shit wayy down...Besides, I secure the rear via swing arm, but everyone tells me that I over-do-it. :laugh
how about just a bike rolled/locked into a baxley with a single cam strap on the footpeg holding it in! :D Can do the same with a HF chock if youre feeling froggy.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
well all I can say is you'll never see anything on truck strapped down with those cam style straps. they use the ratcheting style for a reason. 1. more power 2. they can't release when lever all the way down.
you all can keep using them. I'll never use them

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I've used cam straps personally for over 15 years without ever having one break or come loose. I've also towed bikes countless miles with only having a canyon dancer used with the two required straps with the front tire against something solid. Never had a bike fall. That's how I was told and taught to do it when I was responsible for hauling customer bikes at a dealership.

Just don't get the cheapest straps you can find. I also tie them off right at the cam, so if the cam failed, the strap isn't going to loosen or fall off. If you need more than two straps, you are doing it wrong (or you don't have something solid to pin the front wheel against). If you need the "power" of a ratchet strap, you are strapping the bike down tighter than it needs to be. Take a look at a delivery truck full of bikes. Every one I've ever seen was nothing but cam locks and canyon dancers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts