Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
say cheese
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the tires options that the cycle gear salesman recommended. He said the Dunlop Q2's or the Michelin Power Pures where the ones to get. What does everyone think?

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Go with the Michelin's! I just dropped my bike off, picking it up tomorrow with a new set of Michelin's on it!

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Have you considered the Bridgestone BT016?

Ive run every tire out there and the 016 is THE best as far as combo of playability/longevity/price...:fact

Oh, and Im on my 2nd set of bstones...1st set I got 12k miles and wasnt even showing cord...

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Have you considered the Bridgestone BT016?

Ive run every tire out there and the 016 is THE best as far as combo of playability/longevity/price...:fact

Oh, and Im on my 2nd set of bstones...1st set I got 12k miles and wasnt even showing cord...
This..

I just switch to Bridgestones from the qualifiers and love em! BT016 FTW!

:secret I got mine from jakewilson.com for 200$ shipped.

·
say cheese
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not a track rider where I ride on the street. I like to get aggressive when traffic/road conditions permit. Motomummy seems to be a good place to by tires. The only local place other then the over priced dealerships is Cycle Gear. What is the recommended tire sizes? 120/70/17 front and 180/55/17 rear? My 2006 R6 has a 180/35/17 rear which seems to be an odd size as I'm looking around on the web at tire options.

The Cycle Gear guy highly recommended the Dunlop Q2's. I know thats his opinion but does he have that right? I've always read on here that the Bridgstones rocked but this guy said that there are now better options available. What are the correct model numbers of the Bridgestones that are so good? BT016 front and rear?

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Not a track rider where I ride on the street. I like to get aggressive when traffic/road conditions permit. Motomummy seems to be a good place to by tires. The only local place other then the over priced dealerships is Cycle Gear. What is the recommended tire sizes? 120/70/17 front and 180/55/17 rear? My 2006 R6 has a 180/35/17 rear which seems to be an odd size as I'm looking around on the web at tire options.
180/35/17 does seem like an odd size. I run 120/70/17 front and 180/55/17 rear.

Look into the BT016 though. :fact

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i had a q2 rear installed at a track day when my bridgestone bt-003rs wore out. i thought it performed well. if you're not doing track days, it probably won't matter much what tire you use. a stock replacement should be fine. you just won't need that much grip on the street unless you're breaking the law and the wear of a softer tire will put you in this same boat (tire shopping) again quickly.

s3aturnr

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
Here are the tires options that the cycle gear salesman recommended. He said the Dunlop Q2's or the Michelin Power Pures where the ones to get. What does everyone think?
Both of those tires are very soft and are directed for track use more so than street. The bt016 and the plain pilot powers are more street directed but would also get you around the track on occasional track days. I have used the plain pilot powers on my bikes on the streets and they do very well, 7-9k and ridden very hard! Alot of guys claim to get more miles out of the bt016's but I have never used them? I'm partial to Michelin. And the correct/stock sizes are 120/70-17 and 180/55-17.

And JakeWilson.com was selling the pilot powers for under $200 before, I got mine for $160 shipped with a old coupon, but I don't know about now?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I've got about 4000 miles on my power pures and they still have tread left, are not out of shape at all, and as R6_candy mentioned, they are soft and sticky on fast rides in the hot sun. I wouldn't want anything less sticky under my bike at all. If anything I'd go stickier like a power one and replace em every 3,000 miles.

·
say cheese
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got about 4000 miles on my power pures and they still have tread left, are not out of shape at all, and as R6_candy mentioned, they are soft and sticky on fast rides in the hot sun. I wouldn't want anything less sticky under my bike at all. If anything I'd go stickier like a power one and replace em every 3,000 miles.
Good to know. Those are my thoughts as well but I'd like to get at least 7000 miles before replacing.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Good to know. Those are my thoughts as well but I'd like to get at least 7000 miles before replacing.
I could see them getting close to that, but they would be bald. I'll be pulling em off before I get down on the tread. As soon as I lose any confidence they will be replaced.

There's nothing better than new tires!!

·
professional noob
166 Posts
i have both on both my bikes and they are both really good! i dont ride good enough to were i can say which is stickier but the Q2 seem to have a tad bit of a softer compound than the power pures to my touch at least and seem to wear out a lil faster than my pures. which just basically translates to a lil more rider confidence which can really help a lot. but personally i would buy both of them again.

·
say cheese
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have both on both my bikes and they are both really good! i dont ride good enough to were i can say which is stickier but the Q2 seem to have a tad bit of a softer compound than the power pures to my touch at least and seem to wear out a lil faster than my pures. which just basically translates to a lil more rider confidence which can really help a lot. but personally i would buy both of them again.
Thanks for your input. I'm also considering the Bridgestone tires that everyone likes too. Like I mentioned before I'm not a track racer but I'm definitely into performance and leaning it over on the street when I can. I need to find the best balance between sticky, longevity and price.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Pilot Road 2's man... If you're not riding track, you don't need anything more than that. And they'll last FOREVER.

www.hardracing.com :fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Pilot Road 2's man... If you're not riding track, you don't need anything more than that. And they'll last FOREVER.

www.hardracing.com :fact
The pilot roads have a much smaller cone on them than the pilot powers and the power pues. It's too much of a touring tire fo my taste. The guy I work with put like 8k on a set and liked em a lot, but he's on the power pures and likes em better for the turn in.

My .02

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
The pilot roads have a much smaller cone on them than the pilot powers and the power pues. It's too much of a touring tire fo my taste. The guy I work with put like 8k on a set and liked em a lot, but he's on the power pures and likes em better for the turn in.

My .02
I'll agree with you on the points you made-- but 10,000 hard miles on a set of tires that will stand up to weekend twisties the whole time is hard to beat.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
the Pilot 2ct's are hard to beat on longetivity too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts