Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 02 R6 and this is the second time 2nd gear has gone out. The bike does have 22,000 hard miles on it though.
I'm gona do it myself this time and was wondering if there were any new products on the market I should use as replacements so this wont happen again in 10,000 miles or so.
Also if anybody could give me a list of gaskets and stuff I'll need it would help alot!

Any other upgrades I can do for more power while I have it apart? I mainly stunt this bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it's not the clutch. I put a barnett in last time I had the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the shift fork and the gear dogs on the 2nd gear sprkt. I've heard something about undercutting gears, and I saw that little upgrade part in the magazine the other day.
Just figured somebody on here already went through the same thing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you really know what you are doing i would suggest against it. You have to take the entire engine out of the bike, then drop the transmission out, you will be able to see the wear on the dog bone and fork, and in some cases the gear itself. I just saw one apart on the work bench at my buddies shop, its a $1000 job in parts in labor. boo to yamaha for this type of petty crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can handle pulling the motor and tearing it down, just wanted a over view of parts I'll need and if there are any better parts out there. Of course my local dealer says stock parts only, I know thats not true.

I couldn't believe that I got yamaha to pay for the parts the first time. Not sure if I'm gona get another Yamaha. But other than the tranny I'm still happy with this one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks Ronin, that list kicks ass, i have a 99 and luckily dont have the problem. Knock on wood :hammer I was afraid that when it does go out it was going to be $1000+, so thats kind of a relief.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i guess undercutting or back cutting the gears will help to prevent the problem in the future. i would probably take it to someone who you know knows how to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ronin_R6 said:
Not much out there as far as parts except the OEM stuff.

Here is a good list of what you should replace while you are in there.

Thanks for the list, thats what I was looking for. I've heard that I could use the gears for a 03 on my 02. I was told that the gears are undercut already. If not where can I get them undercut?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The '03+ gears are not undercut....they simply have 5 drive dogs instead of 3..

I would suggest not undercutting any new gears you put in and basically just going for round 3. I can't remember the member's name who put up a write-up about his findings on what the problem could be. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. The post was something about 2nd gear cure or something.

Anyways, what he has to say does make sense, Alot of the problem is the shift drum not making a solid/quick/smooth shift into second.

And if you are on round 2 of bad second gear, I'm guessing your shift drum and or forks were not replaced after the first time, which would make your second case come just as easily. Damaged shift drums and forks can reak havic on any bike. check out that guys write ups and chat with him a little. I found it very interesting and it made alot of sense, could be a very easily over-looked problem of yamaha or any mechanic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.