Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to try and change the front end appearance slightly on my R6. Using some other member-suggested techniques I blacked out my stock screen. The aux light stuck out too much so I had it tinted dark. Then the nose cap looked odd so I got one for an '06 Raven. Let me know what you think. I like it. :YEA

Light off

Light on (replaced stock bulb with a PIAA 168 bright white)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice job. u paint the inside of the screen?
Scuffed the inside of the screen, sprayed with 2 coats of semi-gloss paint, wet sanded it, sprayed 2 more coats of semi-gloss black, wet sanded, sprayed 2 coats of clear, wet sanded and one more coat of clear. All on the inside of the screen.

You probably wouldn't have to sand it as much as I did if you didn't care what the inside part of the screen looked like. I can see it when I ride so it bugged me enough to make it look good from both sides.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you get those rearview mirrors?
Ebay actually. Their basically universal turn signal mirrors. The guy lists them by application to get more hits but they are all the same. The mount they come with is crap so the best way to mount them is to take your stock ones apart (remove the boot and drill the rivet) and reuse the stock mounts.

·
My R6 is on a diet
53 Posts
Bike looks sweet man! I actually ride up to Nova quite a bit, and I think I saw a candy red R6 once. Haha, I got a 05; maybe I'll see you around sometime up there :toocool:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
how did you split the light to get to the inside to spray it. I threw my tail light in the oven last week and the glue never got hot enough and the entire plastic started to warp and eventually went concave.:(

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The aux light has a screw on the top of it that separates the lens from the body. I had the light tinted by a local body shop. They actually mix black paint into clear coat and then paint the outside of the lens several times and bake it in a paint booth. They use this same procedure tp tint headlights (usually on cars but can tint any lens). The lens still allows plenty of light when turned on. I know the body shop manager so I didn't pay for the tinting but if I had it would have only been $35 to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts