Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you guys are using for tinting your lights? I have 55w hid's 6k (previous owner) so needless to say they are very bright. Looking to tint the housing to try and dull the light a little. Figured id do my clear taillight as well. I bought covers but hate how far they stick away from the headlight.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I wouldnt add further heat obstruction to a 55w HID unless you want to up your chances of melting the housing.

That said, most folks I know use Lamin-X

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would be as simple as changing it to a 35w bulb or would it need all new ballasts?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
That the spray on stuff? They dont get very hot as it sees alot of wind.
No, its film. And on a hot day in slow traffic, they can melt the housing.

Would be as simple as changing it to a 35w bulb or would it need all new ballasts?
That I dont know. Agg2001 would know. I dont use HID because its more shit in the way...:laugh

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
So... wait... You have HIDs on the bike, to increase the light output of the headlights. Now, there's too much light output so you want to tint the housing to bring it back down? Why not just put OEM bulbs back in dude? :laugh

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because i dont have any of the oem stuff. As i said i did not install them. If i had i woould of used a 6k 35w setup not 55w. Have you ever seen a 55w high beam? I blind cars when they are coming at me with it on. Im stupid and think it looks stupid only running with one light on. So im gonna dull the light output down a little bit with that lamin x kit

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I didn't realize you could see the headlights while riding.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I would leave it, or just NOT ride with the high-beam on 24/7... Otherwise, OEM bulbs are hella cheap. Shit, I think I might have some in the garage right now as spares. That'll be cheaper option than your laminx.

·
Suk it, Lee
19,069 Posts
Because i dont have any of the oem stuff. As i said i did not install them. If i had i woould of used a 6k 35w setup not 55w. Have you ever seen a 55w high beam? I blind cars when they are coming at me with it on. Im stupid and think it looks stupid only running with one light on. So im gonna dull the light output down a little bit with that lamin x kit
Good. F uck 'em.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Already bought it. I like the look of it as well. I usually dont ride at night with the high beam on as i dont even need it because even the low puts out a ton of light. Ill have to post a pic when i get my exhaust put back on. The light output is stupid. But i do like it for night riding. I can see everything. Even drowns out my buddies stock bulbs when they are next to me

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good. F uck 'em.
Theres alot of times i dont flick it off and say **** it. Its dangerous enough on a bike. And it really is a safety thing. People can def see me coming behind them on the freeways and what not.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have mine blue tinted (laminx). I can't tell that the Hids are bothering it all. But I also have 35w system. I honestly wouldn't imagine 55w hurting the "tint"

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
35,476 Posts
You can get a smoked integrated tail light as well instead of tinting. I had MotoDynamic in the past and loved it.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can get a smoked integrated tail light as well instead of tinting. I had MotoDynamic in the past and loved it.
I have an aftermarket integrated tail already. I think its a hot bodies not sure as i didnt put it on there. So its just the clear euro look right now. Might have to spray tint it.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have mine blue tinted (laminx). I can't tell that the Hids are bothering it all. But I also have 35w system. I honestly wouldn't imagine 55w hurting the "tint"

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I ordered the dark smoke kit from lamin-x. Theyre already blue ennough. Itll match my double bubble windshield

·
DARC Racing
2,334 Posts
I have 35w HID 6K and dark smoke Lamin X and its still FAR brighter then OEM.... Lamin X kit is easy and goes on in minutes.

No lights on:

Lights on in day light:

In the dark garage:

Output in dark garage:

·
sell me a red powerband
728 Posts
Didn't see it answered already, but if you want to go to 35w you will need new bulbs and ballasts as far as I'm aware.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts