Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
passenger tips

tell your passengers to put their arms around you, and rest their hands on the tank---palms down. that way, when you brake they're not mashing into you. if you're in some twisties, it helps to have their hands bracing sort of on the tank sides, that way they can steady themselves without pushing or pulling on you. about the only time they should be holding onto to you is when you're doing wheelies, and then they should just sort of grip your waist with one hand and YEA! with the other...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply.

what about the added weight on the bike? how does it affect the way the bike leans and such?

·
Registered
327 Posts
well

to tell the truth, i haven't had too many passengers on the back since i lowered mine the 3 inches and all. now, if i have any passengers, i can't go over bumpy stuff without bottoming out in the rear. aside from that, though, as long as you haven't lowered yours as much as i had to (i'm short), then there shouldn't be any problems with that. depends on how much your passenger weighs, and whether or not they ride like a sack of potatoes.
as for how it handles in the turns, you have to make sure your passenger leans with you, or stays upright---they can't go leaning away from the turn and you or they'll mess you all up and then you're both screwed. they pretty much have to be like an extension of you, do whatever you do, that kind of thing. and it should be someone who isn't afraid of how you ride, who's had time to get used to how you ride and knows what to expect.
that said, you should take the time to get used to having this person, or people, ride with you so you know the kinds of reactions your bike will have in different situations----how far you feel comfortable pushing it, etc.
of course the bike will take longer to stop, of course it won't go as fast as it would otherwise, it'll probably sink into turns a little quicker and take just a little more to pull out. it's all just stuff you have to get used to for your own self.
good luck, though, and have fun. :cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
being a passenger sucks! before i got my bike my arms and shoulders were sore all the time from having to push on the tank everytime the rider stopped or slowed down. since ive had my bike ive only taken two passengers...one being a friend of mine who only weight like 125 so it wasnt a big deal with her on the back. and the second being my ex boyfriend who i rode on the back to the shop to get his bike. he was like 200 lbs and i had a hard time with him on the back.

But just like the others said...you have to make sure your passenger leans with you...you both have to become one on the bike and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Tell your passenger to look over your inside shoulder when turning this makes sure their weight is in the right spot. I've found this works well.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Also, you're going to wheelie easier with someone on the back. If you get into the throttle at about 8-10k your front end is coming up. be prepared for it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
the best advice i ever got about riding someone on the back was DON'T. ahhaaha. I can't stand riding with a passenger. I feel very restricted in how much i can move around and I think it impairs your ability to some extent. That's why I took off my rear pegs and i'm gettin a solo cowl. if some chic wants to go for a ride she can ride on my lap. that would be more fun anyway.

·
Registered
277 Posts
along with the rest, take it slow @ first. your going from a 350lb bike with a 180lb rider, or whatever, and throwing on another 120lb's. that's about a 1/5 of the normal weight you are used to. it took some time for me to get used to, and now I can ride 2 up OK.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My '04 R6 rides better with a passenger than my '93 FZR did. Good pointers above. I tell my passengers to put their palms on the tank as mentioned above, and to lean w/ the bike. I don't want them leaning with me, I just want them to be part of the bike and lean with it. If they do that, you'll have a nice ride. Be careful w/ low speed riding w/ a passenger (i.e. in a parking lot). Low speed maneuvers you can do easily by yourself become difficult with a passenger. Also, you may be used to putting only one foot down when you stop. Put both feet down with a passenger. Helps you stabilize the bike when you stop and when you take off, and you need the extra stability.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ive taken a passenger just last week, it was my friend who was about 120lbs....I did pretty well being it was only my 4th time on a bike...But Id rather not take anybody on. So when I got home, I ordered a rear seat hard cover cowl from Yamaha....hehehe NO PASSENGERS for me!!!!!
If you want to ride....get your own bike..hehehehe!!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Im not sure this has been covered, but make sure you tell them to sit still till you have come to a complete stop.

I frist started riding with my girl on the back and it was hell having her move around when Im doing 1KPM and weaving through traffic up to the front of the stop light.

:cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts