Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any riding tips for this? Living in Houston, we don't experience this much however today while riding I felt very uncomfortable due to a constant wind attempting to blow me over in the next lane. Obviously, instinct took over, however I'd like to hear some your tips tips/techniques on this...

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
Just stay relaxed on the bike and lean into it a little. I have done a few rides where I am at a decent angle just to track a straight line. Not much you can do to battle gusts, just be smooth on correcting the bike after it pushes you a little.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just stay relaxed on the bike and lean into it a little. I have done a few rides where I am at a decent angle just to track a straight line. Not much you can do to battle gusts, just be smooth on correcting the bike after it pushes you a little.
Thanks for the tip. I felt just like you, I was having to lean the bike into the wind just to keep the bike straight. :werd

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
It's an odd feeling. It sucks when you are countering the wind and leaning into it and then it decides to stop for a second.....:nono

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
:laugh yep yep
Have almost kissed a guard rail a few times doing this. I just don't ride in the wind unless I get stuck in it...

·
Suk it, Lee
19,071 Posts
Me too dude. But every now and again you get stcuk in the shit. Was riding home with some guys from a spot on a shit ass single lane highway that was torn to shreds in 70kmph winds, our bikes were at like a 45 degree angle. AAAnd then.. wind stops.. SHIT!

·
Registered
56 Posts
riding in/against the winds suck !! Had a bad experience once :mad: and now, i check the forecast before i ride !

·
Mexico lindo
667 Posts
Have almost kissed a guard rail a few times doing this. I just don't ride in the wind unless I get stuck in it...
For sure. I have been in the same situation and it is not cool.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
When I had my 250, it was rough battling the wind. But the R6s aint bad at all in high winds.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
Yea it stinks. I remember the night iI picked up my 09. It would blow from the right for five min, then from the left and would continue for a long time. I would ride leaned on one side then the opposite side

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Rode to NYC around 1PM right after Irene just passed by, on the NJ Turnpike, Not fun. Stay low, squeeze your legs, light on the handlebars, use your helmet to add a little drag towards where the wind is blowing, try to keep the bike in the middle of the lane, and don't try to speed thru it.

·
I <3 Orange Chicken
699 Posts
ive heard u want to tuck & go faster to "cut thru the wind." but, i'd say it's a judgement call.

·
Is this a segment?
17,690 Posts
One hand firmly on the bars - the other firmly on your balls... if you have them :fact

I keed, I keed :D

It's always windy where I live - I've seen 100+ winds here a handful of times. Riding in that shit is never any fun because you can't see it coming! I'd rather ride in rain or snow.
But like has already been said; keep calm, look where you want to go, and lean into the bike. Compensate for the push but be careful not to over-compensate!

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
It's already been said, but I'd like to emphasize to be light and relaxd on the bars. If you're death-gripping the bars, you're only going to make things worse. Just be light on them and correct whenever you get gusted around.

Personally, I hate riding in wind. I'd rather ride in anything but that.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
One hand firmly on the bars - the other firmly on your balls... if you have them :fact

I keed, I keed :D

It's always windy where I live - I've seen 100+ winds here a handful of times. Riding in that shit is never any fun because you can't see it coming! I'd rather ride in rain or snow.
But like has already been said; keep calm, look where you want to go, and lean into the bike. Compensate for the push but be careful not to over-compensate!
It's already been said, but I'd like to emphasize to be light and relaxd on the bars. If you're death-gripping the bars, you're only going to make things worse. Just be light on them and correct whenever you get gusted around.

Personally, I hate riding in wind. I'd rather ride in anything but that.
What about heavy wind AND heavy rain?! :laugh

OP, if I can do 133 MPH and change in this kind of weather, and only have been frightened once buy the wind, you got nothing to worry about. You're overthinking things!!

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
What about heavy wind AND heavy rain?! :laugh

:nono

I'd have just packed it up. Either that, or I would've ridden like a granny out there on the track. Just push the limits a touch, yanno?

Likely, would've just packed it up. You got bigger balls than I!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts