Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im finally going to the track next sunday the 20th (thunderhill!)
teknic suit, held phantom gloves, sidi boots, icon helmet.

what should i work on? heres a few pictures of me. i know im wearing jeans..but other than that, how am i doing?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Jeans and low cut sneakers? GET SOME PROPER GEAR BEFORE RIDING LIKE THAT!

otherwise, you look pretty good, I would tuck more (body closer to the tank) try to kiss the inside mirror. You could also get your butt off a bit more, but thats only if your really trying to drag knee...that is just a style of riding. Basically just do what works for you.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
i personally like to get my body lower on the tank

prepared to be humbled btw

who's putting the 20th on anyways?
+100

i thought i was the shit when i was passing most of the beginners until they all loaded up a shiny bike at the end of the day and i went home dirrrrty :nono i even had the same pics as you in my jeans and low cuts from a few days before. the crash was the best thing that ever happened to my short track riding career. i'll never have the wrong attitude again.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Riding way too fast in far too little gear. Glad to see you're taking it to the track, you certainly look like you'll do fine (certainly nothing glaringly wrong with your bp to be dangerous). Just remember to take it easy and slow, check the ego, and enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the comments guys...
zoomzoom is doing the trackday

im not looking to be the fastest guy out there either. i like to ride fast on the street, and hopefully the track will make me take the street a little bit slower. ill be in the novice group.
i went riding the other day with two guys who go to the track pretty frequently. they told me that with the way i ride, i might as well start in b group. but track/street are completely different?? a fast street rider might suck at the track...haha.

ill be running pilot powers and plan on getting my suspension set up

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
also another tip

dont get sucked into someone elses speed. a lot of guys that go to B get passed and INSTANTLY think "HOW DID THAT GUY PASS ME, HOW IS HE GOING SO MUCH FASTER THAN ME,!?!?! I BETTER GET ON THE GAS TO CATCH UP!!!!"

and then BAM

you're on the ground

let people pass you, the best thing you can do is ride predictably. stay your line and don't do anything drastic and no one will have any issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
also another tip

dont get sucked into someone elses speed. a lot of guys that go to B get passed and INSTANTLY think "HOW DID THAT GUY PASS ME, HOW IS HE GOING SO MUCH FASTER THAN ME,!?!?! I BETTER GET ON THE GAS TO CATCH UP!!!!"

and then BAM

you're on the ground

let people pass you, the best thing you can do is ride predictably. stay your line and don't do anything drastic and no one will have any issues.
Agree - B is where most of the 'action' takes place with people going down.

One thing to work on is to support your body with your legs and torso - keep the weight off the clip-ons and relax your arms. Use your inside leg on the peg and the inside of your outside leg on the tank - put your weight on those and not on your arms. You won't overload the front, which can cause all types of problems; weight on clip-ons also reduces front end feedback.

But you look good for a first time going to the track.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
3,254 Posts
Lots of good tips here.

Predictability is BIG for everyone to be safe.

Watch your lines on the street. As you become faster (left hand turns) and lean the bike more, you need to move further away from the double yellows.

As far as position, maybe move your butt further back in the seat as well as further to the side. You want your spine as straight as you can keep it while having your "face in the mirror" and your butt on the inside of the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey im finally going to the track next sunday the 20th (thunderhill!)
teknic suit, held phantom gloves, sidi boots, icon helmet.
Sweet.. I will be there on the 19th and 20th. There are about 10 of us coming up from the bay. 2 truck loads and 10/11 bikes.

See you there.

·
The E-racings Guy
82 Posts
Looks pretty good, agreed with the gear thing.

Maybe pull the butt off the seat a little more and stick the knee out a hair. Someone said they like to get lower, and I agree, but I catch myself sitting up a lot sometimes.\

have fun at the track

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
I don't care what anybody tells you about what's "right" or "wrong" about body position. Just ride the bike. Do whatever it takes to get the bike to do what you want it to do. But always be sensitive to the feedback you get from the machine, and constantly think about how to do it better than you currently are. It doesn't matter what you look like in a picture, it matters how fast you can get around a track. Let the lap times be the deciding factor, and never stop experimenting with ways to do everything better. Eventually you will sort out what works for you, but you will probably still change nuances about the way you ride until the day you stop.

Don't believe me? Watch Troy Bayliss ride, and then find me a textbook that teaches any of that crap. Then go look at his massive trophy collection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts