Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips would be helpfull!!!!!!!!!! i did some searches but was still left with some questions...

on satureday i will be raiseing my bike back up to stock. i know the guy before me never messed with the compression, rebound or perload. he definitly lowered the rear with the lowering links.

i am not sure if the front forks were lowered... what do you think? i've been riding for a year with no problems. and all my other bike stayed stock! so this is a first.

do you just set the forks flush with the top of the clip ons?
do you just loosen the tripple tree or clip ons and slide it up or is there more to it (if so please explane)?

whats the best way to do this i can put it on stands or suspend it from the ceiling (yeah its a shop with rated mount) or just on the ground?

also the rear link should be easy unbolt and rebolt, but on the front raise should the wheel be on or off?

and is this a two man job or can 1 handle it?

any other advice or tips will help big time!!! i've worked on many bikes just not much on suspension.
thanks in advance i did some searches and found a lot of mixed responses. if there is a how to on this that would be great. sorry if this is a repost.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
1i am not sure if the front forks were lowered... what do you think?
2do you just set the forks flush with the top of the clip ons?
do you just loosen the tripple tree or clip ons and slide it up or is there more to it (if so please explane)?

whats the best way to do this i can put it on stands or suspend it from the ceiling (yeah its a shop with rated mount) or just on the ground?

also the rear link should be easy unbolt and rebolt, 3but on the front raise should the wheel be on or off?

4and is this a two man job or can 1 handle it?

any other advice or tips will help big time!!! i've worked on many bikes just not much on suspension.
thanks in advance i did some searches and found a lot of mixed responses. if there is a how to on this that would be great. sorry if this is a repost.

1 It doesn't look like it from the pics, but I could be wrong.
2 Pretty much. You may have to loosen the bolts on the upper fork tubes as well though.
3 Leave the front wheel on while you do that stuff. It's really easy. Leave the rear wheel on too for that matter.
4 It can be done by one person... but, two people is ALWAYS better. Just incase you need a hand with something.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Oh yeah... For the front end, you could do it with the bike on the floor, but a decent front stand would be better. If you want to hang the bish from the rafters, I've seen it done that way too. Either way works (and it's your bike man.)

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have stands, i'll just use them. i am sure i could figure all this out it seems simple. its just always nice to get thoses extra tips or pointers from someone who already did it, so i don't make the same mistakes they did.

i still think the front might have been raise a little to compinsate from the 3" drop in the rear. b/c they should be flush right??????? looks like 1/2" or more it could raise..??..

any other advice or answers would make my day go better tomorrow. thanks again

·
R Sizzle
63 Posts
Im in the same situation you are. My bike was lowered preivously and I want to raise it back up. As far as I know the front of your bike was lowered as well. Look at the pic, Im pretty sure that the part with the arrow on it should not be there, thats how much it was lowered. As soon as I can get my hands on a stock rear link I will be raising mine back up also.

Attachments

·
I sold my R6
229 Posts
Im in the same situation you are. My bike was lowered preivously and I want to raise it back up. As far as I know the front of your bike was lowered as well. Look at the pic, Im pretty sure that the part with the arrow on it should not be there, thats how much it was lowered. As soon as I can get my hands on a stock rear link I will be raising mine back up also.
That was definately lowered in the front. The outside of each fork should be flush with the tripple clamp. The inside has a couple mm gap.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Take both lower fairings off and set the header on a block to get the front wheel in the air. Use the rear stand to hold the back of the bike. I only had to adjust the front of mine so I don't know about the rear. Also, I had the upper fairings off as well and I believe that it will be worth your time to remove them.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for all the tips! i should have responded sooner. last saturday i raised the bike back up to stock. it was easy but very time consuming to do it the right way. i put it on stands and then took all the weight off by heavy duty rachet straps from a supported beam in the ceiling. it is also much easier with 2 people! i've done all the work on all the bikes i've ever owned, i just never had to raise a bike before, the tips were helpful.

it was lowered 1/2" - 1" in the front and 3" in the rear. it feels good to be back to stock. i rode it like that every since i bought it. i decided to try it out since i am 5' 8", and it was nice to have both feet flat on the ground. but never seemed to handle as good as my other bikes (which always remained stock). i won't be making that compromise again.

oh yeah a good tip for anyone else doing this is to make sure you check our chain slack after wards, mine wasn't too bad, but its good to make sure that its not too loose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have heard that changing out the rear link is pretty difficult...did it give you any problems??

And when you put the stock one on, did you replace all the seals and the two collars or just the bearings and used the seals that werd already on there?? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts