Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Having trackday withdraws
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tips/pointers on body position?

Hey all, I just did my 2nd track day at NCCAR or NCBIKE, in North Carolina. I'm the one on the blue R6. I have come to the conclusion that you really have to stick your knee out there, I made a conscious effort to do it, but looking at the pics it's not even close to out far enough. Also in one of the pics you'll see a guy in a white suit. We chatted after a few sessions and he says that I'm trying to counter lean on corners. I would just like to verify if this was correct. It didn't feel like it, it doesn't look like it, but again I am new to this whole thing. I did end the day with scuffs on the knee sliders and I have no clue how they got there. I did feel like the front was almost going to wash out when I tried leaning further and going faster around the super long corner.

Basically what i'm asking, is how is my body position?

Attachments

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
let me preface by saying you have the PERFECT track bike, i mean that. An 04r6 is awesome.. don't ever sell it, even if you get another bike, keep this for your track days.

like many new to track riders that come from the street, it takes time to get the body shifted to the inside. Look at the guy in white leathers, his body center is further to the inside, but his body isn't leaning any more than you are. shift the butt over, you don't have to "hang off" a great deal a-la MotoGP style, but you do wanna get your weight shifted to the inside a bit.. no need to make tons of changes, just keep at it and work on one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
You're practically sitting straight up on the bike.

Always keep in mind that dragging a knee is a result of good body positioning and getting faster and faster in a corner. Just trying to drag, especially with that positioning will lead you to low side.

One cheek off the seat, titty on the tank(left tit on right side of tank when turning right for example) head looking through the corner.

I certainly need to get my chest on the tank more often in corners.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice on that. I'll keep a conscious mind about where my butt ends up through out the corner. Do you have to lean with your back do you naturally have enough hang off the bike with just splitting your legs?

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but you should really get rid of your only goal of dragging knee. You should focus more on the proper braking/throttle control, along with improving body positioning. Trying to adjust your body position stricting with the goal of dragging knee in mind will land you on your ass very quickly.

I'm far from perfect, but every now and then I get it down pretty good. The big things I like to always maintain focus on:

Inner butt check off the seat
Looking THROUGH the corner, not just 15 feet in front of you
If a fist was coming out of your dash, would you get punched in the face? If so, you need to move your upper body over more. If you look through the turn, you'll notice you'll automatically do this.

Hand grip should always be loose on the bars, hanging onto your bike with your outer leg jammed into the tank and holding on with your core strength. Muscling the bars will result you in losing the front end. You can get away with a lot of bad bar input initially. However, as your pace increases, that safety margin gets smaller and smaller, and you continually get closer to reaching the tires maximum grip. Shitty technique will overload the front tire in a hurry.

My picture -

Looking through the turn - check
Inner butt check off seat - check
Not going to get punched in the face if a fist comes through the dash - check

Welcome to the addiction! How about positing up your video (Notice the cam on the helmet)?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
High Side has some excellent advice here. I'll add some emphasis and further clarification:

Body position starts with getting just a cheek off the seat and holding it there with your thighs and core only. You should not have any weight on your wrists.

Then as you lean the bike into the turn, think about leading the bike with the rest of your body. Turn your head and eyes into the turn and try to put your face where your mirrors would be - low and next to the windscreen. This will put your "tit on the tank" and your inside shoulder down.

Forget about your knee through this process. If you watch any racing series (AMA, Moto GP, World Superbike) you'll see that they use their knee only as a "feeler" to get a sense of how far over the bike is leaned. And after the knee makes contact, they'll actually lift it up off the ground. Guys like Mark Marquez do the same with their elbows! The whole idea is just to use your body position to decrease the load on your tires in cornering so you can carry more speed. And more speed will eventually lead to more lean angle as you get comfortable. Some day your knee will just touch and hopefully it will be a surprise to you because you'll be relaxed and focused on the rest of your body position.

That's the last thing I want to emphasize for you. The key to going faster around track, getting more corner speed and lean angle, is to be RELAXED. If you force it and try to stick your knee to the ground you'll be too tense and frustrate yourself. Focus on butt off, head looking through the turn, then upper body low and inside. Eventually your knee will touch once you are comfortable and relaxed. And above all HAVE FUN!!! Track riding can be intoxicating like no other. Welcome to your new addiction!

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
That's the last thing I want to emphasize for you. The key to going faster around track, getting more corner speed and lean angle, is to be RELAXED. If you force it and try to stick your knee to the ground you'll be too tense and frustrate yourself. Focus on butt off, head looking through the turn, then upper body low and inside. Eventually your knee will touch once you are comfortable and relaxed. And above all HAVE FUN!!! Track riding can be intoxicating like no other. Welcome to your new addiction!
Just like he said, the first time I hit the knee pucks on the track I was not even expecting it. In fact, it startled me quite a bit feeling the pavement. Now it's second nature, and indeed used as a feeler gauge like he said. I have also started to tuck my legs up in certain corners, otherwise I wear them out in a hurry.

It's always a hoot seeing those motivated future knee draggers out there in beginner group - you can see the upper body frozen rock solid (Not relaxed AT ALL), straight up and down on the bike, bike hardly leaned over...with that knee almost 90 degrees sticking out. Can't fault them for not trying! :lmao

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
very true about being relaxed on the bike.. keep in mind you have to have some weight on the bars to initiate a turn. And when having to get the bike to flick back and forth quickly , you will need to push AND pull at the same time (countersteering the bike big time) not just push on the inside bar..

And i wouldn't put too much emphasis on getting your chest on the tank all the time. Some very fast riders have an upright body position. Martin Cardenas, Colin Edwards, Larry Pegram, just to name a few. Find what works for you..

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya'll have are awesome! I'm going to try to remember these things next time I go out. As far as the video goes. I again did not get very good video. Basically all you can see is the dash or the ground. The record trying to record myself is 0 for a million. I do give props to the replay camera, way easier to mount than a gopro square.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Ya'll have are awesome! I'm going to try to remember these things next time I go out. As far as the video goes. I again did not get very good video. Basically all you can see is the dash or the ground. The record trying to record myself is 0 for a million. I do give props to the replay camera, way easier to mount than a gopro square.
I would strongly suggest a bike mounted camera. I've yet to see any real good video footage coming from a helmet mounted camera. Makes it seem to sway and wobble all over the place with no real good way to feel and see the bike turn in points/lean/etc.

And on a more shallow comment, the people that have go pros mounted to the top of their helmets look like a fvucking idiot. And they're the most prone cameras to go flying off onto the track because it's almost impossible to safety wire. Had a helmet go pro fly off in front of me. Guy was several hundred yards in front, but going 100mph+ and with the camera kart wheeling down the track...The damn thing hit me in the chest and it felt like somebody thumped me in the chest with a sledge hammer

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I would strongly suggest a bike mounted camera. I've yet to see any real good video footage coming from a helmet mounted camera. Makes it seem to sway and wobble all over the place with no real good way to feel and see the bike turn in points/lean/etc.

And on a more shallow comment, the people that have go pros mounted to the top of their helmets look like a fvucking idiot. And they're the most prone cameras to go flying off onto the track because it's almost impossible to safety wire. Had a helmet go pro fly off in front of me. Guy was several hundred yards in front, but going 100mph+ and with the camera kart wheeling down the track...The damn thing hit me in the chest and it felt like somebody thumped me in the chest with a sledge hammer
:D I can't disagree. On a dirt bike, it's the only way to get good footage without getting sick while watching, but on a street bike? mount it on the bike for sure. It takes some experimenting, and secure that sucker with duct tape if you have to or it will shake about and not be viewable..

On board video is easily the single best teaching device to come along in the 10 years i have been track riding/racing/instructing. When i started, you had to mount a hand held camcorder to the tank and pivot your body around the thing. Now, you can mount up a dozen cameras on a single bike if you wanted to.

·
track rookie
75 Posts
Re: tips/pointers on body position?

lots of good advice in this thread.

What helped me the most was starting with my foot position. Peg should be near the ball of your foot. I learned/found that w/ the ball of my foot on the outside edge of peg with heel pressed against heel guard works best. This will help you shift/glide your body to each side as you setup for corners. It'll also help keep your body lower and should make gripping tank with outside leg/thigh in turns easier. Oh, and just as important, it will keep you from catching your boot on the track, which could be nasty.

·
im newfie and i know it
10 Posts
Try to kiss the mirror. When turning left have your right side ribs touching the left side tank with you right forearm on the top of the tank. Hold the bars like a screw driver.
But to be honest these are guide line and you need to do what feels right, for example look at josh hayes vs. josh herrins body position. Herrin hangs of the bike with head and shoulders low, hayes get his but off but his upper body is alot higher or straight. It just goes to show there is a basic guideline to where your body should be but everyone is different and what works for some wont work for others

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1377670408.434229.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1377670460.412408.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1377670522.689294.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey all, I just did my 2nd track day at NCCAR or NCBIKE, in North Carolina. I'm the one on the blue R6. I have come to the conclusion that you really have to stick your knee out there, I made a conscious effort to do it, but looking at the pics it's not even close to out far enough. Also in one of the pics you'll see a guy in a white suit. We chatted after a few sessions and he says that I'm trying to counter lean on corners. I would just like to verify if this was correct. It didn't feel like it, it doesn't look like it, but again I am new to this whole thing. I did end the day with scuffs on the knee sliders and I have no clue how they got there. I did feel like the front was almost going to wash out when I tried leaning further and going faster around the super long corner.

I think most people touched on it but your BP looks alright in that you are going with the bike and not riding crossed up or counter-leaning. As people have said, the goal should never be to get a knee down, that is the result of good Body Position and good position starts with going with the bike. The biggest thing is that you don't want too much butt off the seat. This is a big mistake that people make in that they think they have to hang WAY off the bike but when you hang your butt way off the seat you almost always end up twisted with your upper body.

Has anyone mentioned gripping the tank with your outside knee? How would that help your overall BP?

Misti

1 - 15 of 15 Posts