Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gettn' it!
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. On my 09 r6r here, I just installed the chain on it. It's the same length as stock, but I have a -1,+1 setup with a 190. Have you guys ran it like this or am I going to need to add another and outer master link? It's at like the second last adjuster bar on the blocks.

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
Looks fine to me.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i am pretty sure you will be fine. My 190 rubs with 114 links (stock) and 16/46 (when i want this ratio i have to run 15/43), but with 15/46, and the fact that once the grease flys off the rollers you are gonna get a bit more slack, you should be fine .

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
My buddy had issues when he went to a 190 where once the tire got hot and he was on the gas hard it would start to rub from the tire expanding.

It took him all day to figure out why his bike seemed to be struggling at WOT and his third gen was unable to keep up with my '05 on the straights. Eventually he noticed a slight groove in the middle of the tire that matched on the hugger/swingarm and it all clicked. He had no problem getting tire warmers on, but after a couple of laps on track it'd start rubbing every time. I don't know what gearing or how many links he was running though.

So... keep an eye on it. Bring tools to add an extra link the first time you run it, just in case.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
It looks like you can still move that rear axle back quite a bit... So you can fit warmers and not worry about rubbing...

:popcorn:

I ran a 190 with no issues. They fit just fine on the R6...

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
It looks like you can still move that rear axle back quite a bit... So you can fit warmers and not worry about rubbing...

I ran a 190 with no issues. They fit just fine on the R6...
he could move it back, but not if the chain is already tight ;) which is kind of the situation he's in with this gearing and the new chain.
And people typically overtighten chains. the bottom should be "smiling" at ya. Really.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
What's the aspect ratio on your tire? That is needed to tell you how tall it is. 190 is the width.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
he could move it back, but not if the chain is already tight ;) which is kind of the situation he's in with this gearing and the new chain.
And people typically overtighten chains. the bottom should be "smiling" at ya. Really.
True enough... Would have kept a couple links in for some slack/space for that 190...

·
Gettn' it!
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a Pirelli dragon slick. Pretty sure it's a 190/55. I didn't take any links off the chain. It's the same as the stock chain. If I added another inner and outer I'm sure it would be on the other end of the spectrum. The chain is adjusted properly, and I'm sure it needs to stretch some. My only concern is the super short wheel base and space for warmer (which I do not have yet)

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
It's a Pirelli dragon slick. Pretty sure it's a 190/55. I didn't take any links off the chain. It's the same as the stock chain. If I added another inner and outer I'm sure it would be on the other end of the spectrum. The chain is adjusted properly, and I'm sure it needs to stretch some. My only concern is the super short wheel base and space for warmer (which I do not have yet)
Unless it's a SBK Pro why are you buying slicks without even owning warmers? Good way to waste money on tires burning them up with heat cycles and potentially crashing on cold race compound tires.

·
Gettn' it!
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Settle down. They are take offs from a friend. I'm building the race bike. Tire Warmers are like the last thing I need to get

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
:laugh

This just got interesting...

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Settle down. They are take offs from a friend. I'm building the race bike. Tire Warmers are like the last thing I need to get
:laugh

Ok tell me your plan for your build and if you want I'll give you advise on what order your money would be most productively spent in.

From your pic the bike looks more than capable already, rearsets, 520 conversion, etc....

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
If it's a 190/55, it's about 5mm bigger in theory. Different brands have different shapes and sizes. A 190/55 in one brand/model can actually be a different shape and size in a different brand/model.

Hard to tell from the picture, but your chain looks tight as ****, and if the tire is that close with a tight chain, and you plan on using warmers, I'd add another link. Your chain might not ever stretch enough, and you might have issues with tire expansion like mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts