Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've seen many post around about proper tire pressure and everyone has their own oppinion. I'm not about too offer mine, I'm just going to say try to have it somewhere near the general concensus, or what the tire guy at the track recomends, here is why. I had a little lapse in judgement at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Calabogie, Ontario with Team Pro Motion a couple weeks ago. I had tires changed and didn't adjust pressure afterwards, resulting in a rear tire loss of traction and a low side, turns out I was running over 20 psi more than the recomended that day in my rear tire, but I was lucky enough to crash right in front of the photographer, check it out lol..........

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey, glad you are ok is all I can say!

And tire pressure is a MUST pre-check before riding--whether racing or street. It's THAT important. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I'm fine I didn't feel a thing, it was an easy down I was probably doing something in the neighborhood of 120 kph, could have been a lot worst had it been on a higher speed corner.

·
Registered
167 Posts
At least you have that under the belt now. :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
30/30 is a general good rule for street riders at a TD and/or novice TD riders.

but... 20 psi higher?!?!?!?! How the hell did they get that high? And couldn't you feel something was wrong before you wrecked?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run 30/29 as recommend by the racer I bought the bike bike off. Thats spot on once the ground temp warms up a bit here in UK (means no ground frost)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why are you guys running it so low? Is it because the track requires lower PSI? On my stockies I am at 36/42 for Duns. That's what the tire maker recommends but this is for street not track.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts

but... 20 psi higher?!?!?!?! How the hell did they get that high? And couldn't you feel something was wrong before you wrecked?
Interesting. That's is not what the suspension experts were saying. Although, it probably has to do with experience as you are suggesting. I'll stick to what they recommend. They are the pro's. I did see some people running as low as 24psi on the front, but they had 30 in the back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol nice pics... glad your okay..hows the bike?
The bike is good, the frame slider took the most of it, the engine cover has a scuff about the size of a quarter and the tail section took a little rashing, nothing some sandpaper and fresh paint won't fix though, all in all a pretty good deal lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

They got that high because the guy popped the beed and didn't let off any pressure after doing so, and I had my head in my a$$ apparently and didn't check it. I did notice the bike didn't feel right on my warmup lap, at first I thought it may have been just the new tires in general, I went down on the third turn of my first hot lap. all in all it was a good lesson learned at minimal cost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd be supprised about having tyres as low as 24psi. I was advised by a michelin guy to run something like 24/22 on my CBR400rr. Load of bollox. Al the 400 riders even the fastest racers never go beneath 28 on the rear, with most taking 30/30 as the best pressures. I played around for months and would vary my pressures from 29 front to 31 rear and there wasn't many 400 riders capable of beating me, although quite a few could match me. we all ran very similar pressures.
Unless you ride like Rossi, I would think there is very little chance of you getting any benifits from running such low pressures. Judging by your "mistake", I would guess you will end up doing more damage and wear to the tyres than running around the 30psi mark.
This is how a tyre should look after a good day at the track, not ripped with huge rolls off the end.

This was running 30 front, 29.5 rear and being run very quick

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'd be supprised about having tyres as low as 24psi. I was advised by a michelin guy to run something like 24/22 on my CBR400rr. Load of bollox. Al the 400 riders even the fastest racers never go beneath 28 on the rear, with most taking 30/30 as the best pressures. I played around for months and would vary my pressures from 29 front to 31 rear and there wasn't many 400 riders capable of beating me, although quite a few could match me. we all ran very similar pressures.
Unless you ride like Rossi, I would think there is very little chance of you getting any benifits from running such low pressures. Judging by your "mistake", I would guess you will end up doing more damage and wear to the tyres than running around the 30psi mark.
This is how a tyre should look after a good day at the track, not ripped with huge rolls off the end.
I agree that 30/30 cold pressures are a good general rule.

I also have heard of michelin reps recommending 24 rar and 28 front and things like that... this must be one of two things:

1. We are getting hot and cold pressures mixed up.

2. They want you to rip through tires faster and spend more money :lmao

But really the amount of additional flex you'd gain from dropping to pressures that low is probably unnecessary for mostly everyone on this board, and the extra grip would be offset by the fact that they would wear a lot faster.

·
black is the fastest
59 Posts
any reason for running a higher pressure ong the front
im kinda new into track days but i have run corsas and my 2cts and on my pilots im running 28 psi front and 30 rear and love how they stick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depends on how you ride. On a 400, you are flat out and push the front so I used slightly lower front pressure but in UK we can get snow sometimes, so on those days, Super Corsas get packed away, and I go faster on less grippy 090's which the 400 can heat up. I may run standard road pressures, if its that cold.
On the R6 as there is so much more drive, I'd be inclined to drop the rear more than the front as i am a bit throttle happy but the bike is still faster than me atm and I've only ridden it with a broken leg so am only riding at about 90% and after 2 hours, I've had enough.Have to say, my 99 R6 is the best track bike I have ridden by far in about 30000 track miles

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just want to point out the fact that there is smoke coming from his ass on the touchdown picture. Just imagine if you were in jeans......:flame

1 - 20 of 22 Posts