Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought an 05 about two months ago and its a great bike. i have a question that i need your guys' oppinion on. the tires (Qualifiers) are fairly new and in good shape, except, the rear tire has a a small hole in the center of the tread that the previous owner had fixed himself with some king of tire repair stuff, it was basically like some kind of rubber that filled the hole. he said he was riding to a town over and when he got to his riends house he noticed the tire was flat, so he got the repair stuff, fixed it and rode it home (like 50 miles), the tire holds air and seems to be alright. do you think the tire is safe. the hole seems to be pretty small like maybe a small nail. i drive the bike every day and it seems alright. what do you think?

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
i would not run a patched tire. you only have two in the first place. your life depends on those tires.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
In my brave experience I have never once had an issue front or rear with using plugs. I have plugged many a hole both in the front and the rear, without any problems. I would say that if you plan on doing a but load of high speed runs you might reconsider. But as a daily driver and occasional twisty run you would be fine.

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
I wouldn't trust a plug on my lawnmower. Patching it from the inside is a better option, but I wouldn't do anything beyond normal street riding even then.

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i was just wondering if this is a horror story waiting to happen or if anyone has any experience with this (anyone alive to tell about it atleast). i want to be safe but i also dont want to shed out a bunch of money if i already have a tire thats still ok.

·
Registered
100 Posts
my rear tire had a really small hole on it n i plugged it bout 2 months ago and it has worked great so far, and my boys bike has a plug in the back and he has put at least 3k on them and its just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts