Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 R6 and the tires are approaching the end of there life. I mainly ride the bike on weekends and do spirited twisty rides. I don’t push to the limit but I do push and need a reliable tire.

I have been considering the Michelin Pilot power since I heard they’re a balance between good grip but also get decent miles on the tires. Has anyone ran these tires on the r6? Thoughts? I will also be doing a track day this season but mainly need the tires for on road

·
Registered
219 Posts
The pilot is a good tire. So is the pirelli gt 2. There are others.

The market is so competitive now that honestly any of the tires from any of the manufacturers that's in the same family will deliver virtually identical performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don’t mind what manufacture tire I run I just want something that’s not going to be sliding on me especially while in a turn.

I asked about the pilot powers because I could get a set for an affordable price, and they look like they can handle some aggressive street riding. Just wondered if anyone has ridden them and has different thoughts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah I don’t mind what manufacture tire I run I just want something that’s not going to be sliding on me especially while in a turn.

I asked about the pilot powers because I could get a set for an affordable price, and they look like they can handle some aggressive street riding. Just wondered if anyone has ridden them and has different thoughts
The pilot road 5 is a whole lot of tire. You can't go wrong picking a set up.

So far as slipping goes, I can get a set of q4's to wiggle if I try. The trick is to stay within the limits of the tire. Anything will slip, even race rubber.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Most important aspect that separates street from track are the heat-range and performance in the wet.

Track oriented tires won't get hot enough to grip anything on a street; or may collect too much debris and show superior weakness on wet pavement.

They don't like to sit unused, but for cold streets/tires I've had great experiences as a year-round rider of Pilot Road 4. I have PR5 on the rear and they seem just as good as the 4. I'm favoring 4 for the front due to the siping. If you allow them to sit unused it may take a lot of heat-cycles (regular riding/miles) to get them back to riding form.

Still have to be mindful of the fact that there are different types of pavement and some corners will be inexplicably slick, whether on four or two wheels. (water run-off carrying engine oil may be a factor) That's in addition to the painted lines, sewer covers, loose sediment, large metal construction plates, etcetera.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh, the GT PR4/5 are for heavier motorcycles like the FJR. Avoid the GTs.
You ever run the pirelli angel gt2? They work great in a 180. I'd recommend a 55 ratio.

The r6 isn't 'too light' for them.

Same with the pilot road's.

Sport touring rubber is great stuff. It won't get you in a group or anything, but on the street? Dude, why wouldn't you run s/t rubber. Lasts 3x as long, about the same price. No brainer if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'll enter the Pirelli Angel GT2s into the realm of consideration when tire-time comes back around.

Tires are all about balancing and trade-offs. GTs have much stiffer carcasses. Less carcass flex, smaller contact patch, harder to heat up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am currently hooked to the bridgestones. I really like the s21 and s22 tires they have a very nice amount of grip, never had a rain issue, and pretty damn good prices.

they wont last near as long as the michelins but for my riding they do more than i need them to.
I also really like the profile of them. Some tires feel heavy changing from side to side i think the dunlops and michelins are two of them. Because both grip you a crap ton of grip but are flatter in profile.

i like to ride my technical roads lower speeds and a lot of switch backs and pins. If i pull 65-70 through one them im 20-30 over posted and feel like im riding rails even though im not going fast respectively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts