Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that some of the older r6's (00, 01) seem to have a wider rear tire. I have an 04 and it comes with a 180. My question is do they change their tire to a 190, and is that even possible, or am I just seeing things?

·
Registered
283 Posts
thos are probably the 207s dunlops , they do look wider , but are 180s just like the new 208s on the newr models. My friend got them on his 2001 r6 (207s) and look wider than my 208s on my 03'..........hope this helps ..p.s. i'm new , just wanna say HI!!! to everyone :twisted:

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya tires can look wider cause of the tread pattern but if you get down there and look they will be the same width tire. my buddys honda 600rr has a bridgestone 180 tire and his looks skinnier then mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that helps alot. But would it still be possible to fit a 190 on the rear, would it clear the swingarm sides, chain? Or would it bubble over the rim and look ugly?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I dont think a 190 will fit, You wouldn't want to do that change anyways, It will screw up your handling.

190's sell the bikes
180's win the races :mrgreen:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Help me out on this guys cause' I have never paid attention!! Is the older model wheel more narrow than the newer models? The only time I have seen this question in past situations was when the wheels actually varied in size! Also, you should probably know that different manufacturers measure width differently! Some measure tread to tread, some edge to edge and so on and so forth!! And yes the 190 will fit but, like Redline said it will jack w/ your handiling! The edges will roll so at steep lean angles the contact patch won't as wide cause the tires rolled under and the bike will want to slide out!! Not a problem though if you are V. Rossi!! :cheers Just my $.02!! Peace!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes a 190 will fit, but just like the guys said , it will jack up your handling. I read somewhere that it rides as if you had a 180 with nothing but freeway miles on the tire, you know (bald down the middle.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can go up a couple of sizes but the tire will have to be squeezed to fit the rim thus changing the profile of the tire. Youll end up with a smaller contact patch of rubber to asphalt. You would probably be able to corner like a mo fo though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
people are running 195 slicks on their R6s at the track. it has a 70 profile though, so you don't lose any of the turn in....

as for a 190 on the street = junk

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get away running slicks that big 'cause they are crowned a lot more steep than street tires so the contact patch doesn't roll under the tire!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts