Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you that still run on the stock dunlops for the 04, how long do you ride before you feel the tires have warmed up enough to go twisty riding? Just the other day I took a turn slow but still felt the bike drift a bit, I had ridden for about 20-25 mins on a hot day (85+) and the pavement was smooth, no wet spots, no sand or gravel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I usually ride for about 10-15 minutes before starting to tilt her over if the road is really windy. During that last 5 minutes I like to scrub the tires a bit.

It seems to me that street riding doesn't keep the outside of the tire warm. for example I can ride 15 minutes upright to a sharp turn and just about eveytime I slide the rear a little bit. It's almost like the center of the tire is warmer than the outside (which would make sense)

track riding is different, one lap easy, one lap medium, then go to town. Then again after a track session the tire is so hot I can't hold my hand on it.

just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I went to put my bike in the garage the other day, got on it hard around a corner in first gear with stone cold tires, drifted about 2 feet over and almost highsided when it cought traction...

fun stuff :poke

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
for me i ride for 15 minutes. then i usually weave it left to right for a bit to warm up the part of the sides. i read somewhere this method is wrong. seems to work for me. i tried riding and braking hard, for me i still feel the rear wheel sliding out. oh well what ever works.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
jasamb said:
I went to put my bike in the garage the other day, got on it hard around a corner in first gear with stone cold tires, drifted about 2 feet over and almost highsided when it cought traction...

that r1 don't play i know exactly what you mean!
:cheers

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
jasamb said:

smooth move ex-lax.....

stoneloco808 said:
for me i ride for 15 minutes. then i usually weave it left to right for a bit to warm up the part of the sides. i read somewhere this method is wrong. seems to work for me. i tried riding and braking hard, for me i still feel the rear wheel sliding out. oh well what ever works.
ya, i do the same thing and it works for me too. it seems to take longer to get heat in the front on mine as opposed to the rear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a round about, about 40mtrs from my house when I go to work......i worked out pretty quick not to pull the throttle too hard on the exit on COLD ass tires......I nearly high sided myself as the rear end went out about a meter....scared the living daylights outta me.....im like old grandpa now for the first 10mins on the way to work before they get some heat in them

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
First of all Dunlop 208's heat cycles suck balls. they take awhile to get warmed up and they cool down fast. I had to keep riding them hard to keep them trusty. For that i don't know if i could put a time on warm-up. Maybe 15 minutes before i'd start to push them hard and 5 minutes of starting to push them before i'd really test them.

I'm with Jasamb.......drifting tires with a late grab is NOT fun.

Side note.......My pirelli diablos kick ass. warm up fast and seem to stay that way. And the 70 front is the best part! :cheers

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The 70........it's actually unexplainable! It holds way better in the corners with less effort. But you can read and read about how awesome they are, and then poop yourself when you actually put one on!

I'll just tell you t hat i never quit hearing about how good they are, then i put one on and i knew exactly why everyone thought that! You'll need to raise youre rear ride height or raise your forks a tad with the 70 mod though----------> WELL WORTH IT! One of the best mods i've done.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
oliver.......if you have a '03 or 04, it's piece of cake. As for 99-02, I can't remember how the rear shock mounts.

If you have an 03,04 it's simple. Look at the rear shock mount bracket. upside down U-shaped piece that the top shock mount bolt goes through.

Loosen up the top shock mount bolt so it can pivot loosely, then remove your gas tank and you'll see the shock mount bolt. Take the nut off, get a couple friends to lift up on the rear passenger pegs for a second. You'll have to work the shock mount bolt out of the hole in the frame... when it's out....put a 3mm thickness washer on the bolt so it's between the mount and the frame. Then simply put it back together. The 3mm shim will give you about 10mm's more ride height.

Raising the ride height will get your turn in back to or closer to normal. Without adjusting, you'll feel that it is slower and takes more effort to lay the bike over etc..

If you have a steering damper, you may opt to go with thicker shims for more rear ride height. but start with 3mm. and work your way slowly, to what shouldnt take more than 4.00mm - 4.25mm. The thicker, the quicker the turn in, but the more twitchy the front end will be (thats why a damper is nice)

3mm with my 70 diablo is a TAD slower turn in than stock was with the 60 front tire. I'm gonna put more shim in once i get a steering damper.

Long story short, put a 3mm shim in and you'll be fine with or without a steering damper and your turn-in will feel almost identical to what it was before.

:cheers

·
Registered
304 Posts
well, thanks for the info on the 03-04 i can pass that along to a friend who has one but i on the other hand have a 00. i got the 70 in front cuz i heard good things about it hear in the forum thought i would give it a try. i have not really noticed much difference in cornering since the switch other than with two new tires i can obviously corner better/faster but i am still a little green. if we met up this weekend for a ride in wisconsin we can talk more about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.