Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldnt find a thread about this, maybe someone could help. Ive never used or thuoght about tire warmers but the track bike i just purchased came w/a set. it also had extra slicks and rain tire, but the ones mounted are regular tread. i was curious how necessary tire warmers are or if you can just about warm up any tire w/a few laps (including slicks)? as a beginner i will be running DCIII's for a while but I plan to use up w/e is left of the mounted tires.
also found an article and it appears warmers are not required for ANY tire really:
http://ronhix.com/docs/2008PirelliNesbaFlyer.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been to a few WERA races, work in the pit for my b/f . He always uses the tire warmers. Then you dont have to take it easy the first few laps warming the tires... ;)

·
wat?
722 Posts
Do not use warmers on DC3s (or any street tire). Warmers are for DOT Races or Slicks.

Any tire CAN be warmed up normally, it's just a question of how long it takes. Street tires heat up much faster than DOT Races or Slicks... and are also far more predictable while cold.

Heat cycles are another potential issue that does not apply to street tires but does to track tires; having them on warmers means each day at the track is only 1 heat cycle instead of 8. The impact of heat cycles is virtually a non-issue these days though with new tire tech as the tires wear out long before heat cycles even begin to really matter...

If you have them and DO start running track tires, then USE THEM! It allows you to set hot pressures (so no guesswork on what PSI you are running) and allows you to go hard every lap from the start instead of trying to gradually work up on cold tires each time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx, that pretty much settles it. could yuo expand more on teh heat cycles tho? im clueless on tire details besides the bare minimums. maybe a thread somewhere?

·
wat?
722 Posts
Street tires don't heat cycle because they are made to warm up and cool down over and over.

Race tires, however, do not like this. When they heat up and cool down, they harden. It becomes harder to heat them up again and they are not as sticky. It's not a huge deal for a few, but if you consider a track day where you're on and off the track 7-8 times, that starts to add up. Suddenly after 3 track days you've heat cycled the tire 20+ times. That tire won't be as good as if you had used warmers and only heat cycled it 3 times. The reality is nowadays the tires will still be just fine even after being heat cycled repeatedly, but they still won't be *as* good. But there are enough other benefits to using warmers that this is just an additional one to add to the list.

That's the general layman's terms behind how it works. There is a more scientific way to explain it but that's the gist of it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what a revelation. never even knew about this, thx a ton. still doesnt apply to me but good knowledge for the future or anybody else out there whos interested
:cheers

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
everything rhouk said is correct, but lets not fool ourselves, if you get 3 full trackdays out of a set of DOT race/slicks, then you're not pushing the bike hard enough to even need those tires. You'd be better off saving some money and stepping back down/staying w/ DCIII's if you can get more than 2 trackdays out of a set of tires.

·
Lets go fishing4twisties
209 Posts
Rhouck:bowroll
I think i already know the answer to this and im being lazy, not being arsed to climb 3 sets of stairs and into my storage cupboard to check the tyre markings, but ive got a pair of bt002 rs, soft compound. I know there a track tyre but are they DOT?? are they the tyres your talking about needing tyre warmers and not good for heat cycles??
Thanks in advance,
oh and sorry for thread jacking!!!
Peace.:toocool:

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
The BT002RS is a street tire. It is a great tire for the track too, but it won't get cooked by heat cycles like the regular BT002 would.

·
Lets go fishing4twisties
209 Posts
The BT002RS is a street tire. It is a great tire for the track too, but it won't get cooked by heat cycles like the regular BT002 would.
Gotcha Chango, Thanks!!
But i tend to do about 3/4 laps before i ever feel comfortable to really push, So would tyre warmers do them any harm considering there going to be warm all the time, on and off the track????
Thanks again in advance.:toocool:

·
Lets go fishing4twisties
209 Posts
Hey Chango, what exactly did you mean by "like the regular BT002 would" BECAUSE i actually checked my BT002's and it only say's "BT002 RACING TYPE 4 DOT". So all this time of raving about having the RS i don't think i actually do, i remember the guy on the phone saying there soft compound so i don't think they are now, do the RS have those letters on the sticker or wall, can you enlighten me somehow,
in fact i think im gona ring the shop where i got them from and/or bridgestone themselves cos ive got a trackday coming up so i need to know if i have to get tyre warmers or not!!!
Thanks in advance and sorry for the 20 questions.
Peace.:toocool::toocool::toocool:

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Hey Chango, what exactly did you mean by "like the regular BT002 would" BECAUSE i actually checked my BT002's and it only say's "BT002 RACING TYPE 4 DOT". So all this time of raving about having the RS i don't think i actually do, i remember the guy on the phone saying there soft compound so i don't think they are now, do the RS have those letters on the sticker or wall, can you enlighten me somehow,
in fact i think im gona ring the shop where i got them from and/or bridgestone themselves cos ive got a trackday coming up so i need to know if i have to get tyre warmers or not!!!
Thanks in advance and sorry for the 20 questions.
Peace.:toocool::toocool::toocool:

Sounds like you have the BT002 Pro. The side of the BT002 has Racing Street on the sidewall

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
you don't really need tire warmers.....unless you really wanna go out there on the first lap and gun ho it.......give it a lap or two to let the tires warm up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts