Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in the New England area in the winter, I've already resigned to driving for this winter. But I want to be able to ride during the rare good-weather-day.

Now, I know that people mainly only use tire warmers for track days.

But does anyone here use them before casual riding during colder weather days? Or would it be considered major overkill?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i would consider it worthless... b/c after you get your tires "heated" they're just going to get cold while cruising on the streets. you wouldn't be able to keep heat in em so you'd be only gaining confidence and MAYBE traction for the first 10 minutes. after that - like you never used em.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AGG.. but after a little while, wouldn't the tires get heated from riding and maintain traction?

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Tires will warm up just from regular use but obviously not the way they would going around a track. If you are riding so hard on the street that you need tire warmers then I would suggest slowing down, tickets and accidents suck. For the amount of use you are gonna get out of the tire warmers I would spend the money on something else for the bike, just my $0.02.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Thanks AGG.. but after a little while, wouldn't the tires get heated from riding and maintain traction?
Ask Valentino Rossi about how heat stays in tires while riding at a less-than-balls-out pace...

That would be a pretty big waste of resources.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts

They would only be warm, not the good operating temps required for spirited riding. Consider the ground temps while riding. Even in warmer winter days, maybe they get to 45-50F compared to ~100F during summers. After taking off the warmers, the tires most likely will get cold even after riding them for a while, not the optimum temps you would want.

to me, warmers are not gonna help during winter temps

·
Registered
356 Posts
OP, i am from Maine and ride until the first Snow every year and sometimes after... Overkill is my vote. Just be slower until starting to ride and remember the tires need alot more time to warm up. I also no longer lean as much and i try to straiten the corners as much as i can... again, you dont have too but i dont want to find the spot thats not warm enough yet, haha...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm actually one of the most docile riders you'll see lol. Nothing crazy at all, except for some fun on the twisties :sing

I really appreciate the help guys. I just don't like driving straight for too long, and I hate the feeling of the back wheel slipping, when I go into a normal curve/turn in the beginning of a "cold" ride. So, I thought getting tire warmers might help - thanks for saving me some green!

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Cold asphalt sucks any heat right out of your tires. Best thing you can do is run a good, wide-temp street tire.

For track days and even an early season race weekend I've run regular old Pilot Powers when the temp is 45 degrees out. Sure I can't push it as hard as when it's warm and I'm running race rubber, but they're MUCH better in the cold.

-D

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Tire warmers are really only useful for race tires. Street tires warm up much quicker and hold the heat longer. Also, one of the main benefits with tire warmers is reducing heat cycles on race tires, again, useless for street rubber.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yow.. look at the radiator and all that CF.

Nice sweet spot between an R6 and an R1.. sorry for my ignorance lol

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Yow.. look at the radiator and all that CF.

Nice sweet spot between an R6 and an R1.. sorry for my ignorance lol

No, no, no... You're missing it... The YZR-M1 is Yamaha's prototype MotoGP motorcycle. Not available to the public. Worth millions of dollars.

Diesel is just being a smart-ass... just like how I put my road bike in my "bikes" category. (that's what a CAAD9 is)

·
iRun
33,317 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Tire warmers are really only useful for race tires. Street tires warm up much quicker and hold the heat longer. Also, one of the main benefits with tire warmers is reducing heat cycles on race tires, again, useless for street rubber.
I wouldn't say it's useless bro. If I had warmers I'd probably cut down the risk of dumping my bike on the first 2 laps on a track day in half.

Especially since when I went the temps were low 50's outside. It literally took 2 full laps to warm em up.. And the left side wasn't nearly as hot as the right either.. That's not very confidence inspiring. Warmers would be great piece of mind, and would certainly offer an advantage in my case.

It's definitely not nearly as beneficial on street/track tires than a race tire alone. That I'll never debate, but saying it's only useful on race tires isn't always the case

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts