Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
your gunna love my nuts!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big user of the search button but this ones a little more specific. I own a 2008 r6r that I use for street use only for now. So far these q3s are awesome. I noticed lately when the tires are cold there is a discoloration right in front of every groove on the outside edge in the soft rubber. I'm a little uneducated in this area. Is this a bad thing? Temp problem? Suspension
Just today I also noticed the leading edge of those same groves are worn lower then the rear edge. Hopefully this isn't a bad thing otherwise wear seems pretty good.

I run them at 29-30 front and 30-32 rear psi.
Stock suspension set up...6000ish miles on 2008 probably not set up perfect for me but I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to those adjustments.

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I'm a big user of the search button but this ones a little more specific. I own a 2008 r6r that I use for street use only for now. So far these q3s are awesome. I noticed lately when the tires are cold there is a discoloration right in front of every groove on the outside edge in the soft rubber. I'm a little uneducated in this area. Is this a bad thing? Temp problem? Suspension

Just today I also noticed the leading edge of those same groves are worn lower then the rear edge. Hopefully this isn't a bad thing otherwise wear seems pretty good.

I run them at 29-30 front and 30-32 rear psi.

Stock suspension set up...6000ish miles on 2008 probably not set up perfect for me but I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to those adjustments.

Could be slow rebound, soft preload or soft compression. I'd say slow rebound/too hard. That would just be a couple clicks counter clockwise on the rebound adjuster screw in the bottom of the shock

I dunno why you'd be running less pressure in the front than the rear on those tires. Whatever works for you, works tho

·
your gunna love my nuts!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest...I think I started them at 32/32... been trying different temps based on what forum members have suggested in other threads. It doesn't seem to be an issue thus far....traction has been goodfor the most part. Figured it was an adjustment in my suspension.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
Had this exact same wear on a different set of tires. It was slow rebound. I quickened the rebound and it fixed itself.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Had this exact same wear on a different set of tires. It was slow rebound. I quickened the rebound and it fixed itself.
This. I went 2 clicks faster and it helped my tire wear.

To be honest...I think I started them at 32/32... been trying different temps based on what forum members have suggested in other threads. It doesn't seem to be an issue thus far....traction has been goodfor the most part. Figured it was an adjustment in my suspension.
I've always ran q2/3 at 32 on the street with great wear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
even I have issue with my Q3 tire wear . I use it for the track. I could see the irregular cuts in my rear tyre. Attached the pic:thumbdown

Attachments

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
even I have issue with my Q3 tire wear . I use it for the track. I could see the irregular cuts in my rear tyre. Attached the pic:thumbdown
Looks like the common defect everyone talks about. See if you can get it replaced.

·
your gunna love my nuts!
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have another question myself.... my leading edge is worn down and back edge is beginning to raise. You say quicken the rebound but I was reading this quick tire wear guide and its says if the back edge is raised then soften the rebound.....

"Are the edges of the tread raised? – If you have a raised area on either the leading or back edge of the tread, this is a strong sign that rebound damping on the forks or shock is set either too fast or too slow. Usually if it’s on the leading edge rebound is too slow, and if it’s on the back edge it’s too fast."

Refer to http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/

Am I just confusing something or reading something wrong? Maybe this guide is shit....I appreciate the help. Trying to learn suspension a little more.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
I actually have another question myself.... my leading edge is worn down and back edge is beginning to raise. You say quicken the rebound but I was reading this quick tire wear guide and its says if the back edge is raised then soften the rebound.....

"Are the edges of the tread raised? – If you have a raised area on either the leading or back edge of the tread, this is a strong sign that rebound damping on the forks or shock is set either too fast or too slow. Usually if it’s on the leading edge rebound is too slow, and if it’s on the back edge it’s too fast."

Am I just confusing something or reading something wrong? Maybe this guide is shit....I appreciate the help. Trying to learn suspension a little more.
You may be confusing what is considered the leading edge.

·
Registered
12 Posts

If I followed you comments correctly, you are saying the same thing....yup are correct raised trailing edge usually means slow rebound. to speed up (quicken) rebound is the same s softrn. Because you back out rebound screw (loosen) it...which allows for faster rebound..

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
I see a couple of small issues on the first set of tires:

1. rebound too slow
  2. compression too slow
Neither is a major issue, but the shock could stand proper adjustment for best tire life/traction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts