Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a white line down the middle of my rear stock tire on my 07 with 4k miles. Is that a normal wear time? I get down pretty good on the weekends... chicken strips are almost non existent. I keep them at 40psi. Should they be a little less inflated?

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
That's probably the cord showing through the rubber. It's time for you to get a new tire.

And 4,000 miles is about average tire life for a sport tire. If you want more you should try the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or the Bridgestone BT021. They say "sport touring" in the brochures, but they can handle a trackday without any fuss. You're not going to throw anything at them on the street that they can't handle. Plus they have a harder center for increased mileage during the boring parts of the commute.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
i got R6S and psi should be 36/36 according to manual... 40 sounds too much...

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
yeah same thing just happened to me the other day when cleaning the bike...a little line comin through...so sport touring the way to go??

·
Registered
96 Posts
really i have about 4400 miles and my tires are still in great shape.. umm but that's really weird if u say he has to get a new tire... cuz wouldnt it be obvious if u dont have anymore treads on the tires.. that woudl definitely indicate needing new tires, but if u do need new tires love the corsa 3s

·
1,309 Posts
really i have about 4400 miles and my tires are still in great shape.. umm but that's really weird if u say he has to get a new tire... cuz wouldnt it be obvious if u dont have anymore treads on the tires.. that woudl definitely indicate needing new tires, but if u do need new tires love the corsa 3s
He has to get a new tire due to the cords showing in the center of the tire. He may have plenty left on the sides, but when cords start showing, it's already past time for a new tire.

I have about 4,500 on the stock Dunlop 208s that came with my bike back in November and they are still just fine in terms of tread wear, but I usually get higher mileage out of my tires than average.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have 8K mile on my stock tires and AFAIK the tread if plenty on mine???
Is there some kind of tire wear indicator or something. my tread grooves go down to nothing towards the center, but they did that brand new

Attachments

·
1,309 Posts
There are wear indicators, but I don't see one on that section of your tire. If you look at the sidewall, there should be some little triangles on the edge. Those tell you where to look for the treadwear indicators in the tread.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Well I wouldn't run the pressure that high, though at 40psi it is probably effecting handling more than tire life. I would certainly take it down to 36-36, and depending on what tires you replace them with maybe lower for better traction and more compliance leaned over.
And 4000 miles to showing cords on Dunlops sounds like you got pretty good life out of them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
how is 4000 miles good life if I have 8000 and hardly any wear??? I have the stock tires as well on the '06, I pretty sure they are the Dunlop Qualifiers

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
Must be nice, I'm lucky to get 4000 out of a rear tire. Heck I Think I only got 2100 out of the stock rear, and I don't do burn outs either. I did however get 4000 out of my pilot power, I just bought a pp2ct to try..

·
1,309 Posts
how is 4000 miles good life if I have 8000 and hardly any wear??? I have the stock tires as well on the '06, I pretty sure they are the Dunlop Qualifiers
Some of us naturally seem to get higher mileage out of our tires. Maybe the roads you ride on are much smoother than the ones they are riding on. Maybe you're smoother on the throttle. I just turned over 4,500 on the stock D208 (which were fine for their day, but not compared to the stuff I am used to) and the only reason I'm swapping is because I hit a pothole so bad that it bent my wheels and I suspect it may have damaged the tires too. They still look fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are lots of factors when it comes to tire wear.

And by no means am I taking a pop at anyone, but riding habits play a big part.

Riding Habits
Road Surface
Climate

Are the three big ones. I use my r6 as a commuter on weekdays, so nearly 100 miles a day freeway pretty much only using the center strip, weekends, I run through the canyons non stop so I am using the whole tire - or at least try :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts