Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I would recommend seriously considering some sport touring tyres. They aren't as sexy as some of the hypersport tyres, but far more practical. Should have more than enough traction for the street. I ran PR4s and now PR5s on my ZX10R and loved them. Loads of grip, great when they're cold or wet, and they lasted me about 12,000 kms. If you were going to the track you might want something more, but for 100% street, they're the most logical choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart grips well and wears longer than the Q3/Q3+. I run the Q3+ though. You're not going to get 10k miles out of anything remotely sporty. There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.

This needs to be read, re-read, and read again. Then read it one more time...until it sinks in. :werd

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I had the Pilot Power 3s on my 2012 R6. Good grip, rolls over nicely in the turns and I think I got around 8 or 9k out of them. My buddy ran the Q3's on his ZX6R and got around 5k on his set. The Q3's I found were stickier but because of that you eat through the tire faster. Im looking at either buying another set of PP3s or deciding if I want to go with the S20 or s21. Another friend has the S20 and he likes them. Doesn't have much mileage on them yet though

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
you guys are not getting 10k miles from sport tires. when I do tire changes at the dealership I work at most people on hard ass cruiser tires only get that.

sportbikes etc are only getting 3k at the most. how do i know this? they're in the system when they had them put on the last time... and guess what, most of them think they got 8k+ miles on them. lol memories get super fuzzy when it comes to this stuff.

I've got some pretty decent life out of my current set of bridgestone S21. decent grip for aggressive riding.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Well for starters, everyone rides their bike differently. Also they ride in different conditions and road routes. I know for a fact I got over 8,000 kms on my PP3s because I don't my oil change every 5000km. Did an oil change and replaced my tires at the same time. Had to do a second oil change before replacing my tires. I love when one person on here tries to tell everyone they are all wrong and he is right

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Well for starters, everyone rides their bike differently. Also they ride in different conditions and road routes. I know for a fact I got over 8,000 kms on my PP3s because I don't my oil change every 5000km. Did an oil change and replaced my tires at the same time. Had to do a second oil change before replacing my tires. I love when one person on here tries to tell everyone they are all wrong and he is right
it's called experience and skepticism. because you're claiming miles not seen by 99.99% of the people I know and the bikes I've worked on. you are literally the guy that gets 1million miles out of a car and claims all he did was oil changes.

if I get 2700 miles out of a set of tires it's a record and cords are showing.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It also depends how long these people ride on flat spotted tires. I am sure most people wait till the tread is almost worn before they replace their tires and say they got really good mileage out of them. When in reality they should have been replaced miles ago when the tire profile considerably changed. Unless your fortunate to live only around super twisty roads (or you only ride the mountain roads), flat spotting a street tire is almost inevitable and comes long before the tread is worn.

Or maybe I am the minority here and replace a tire as soon as it has noticeably developed a flat spot, thus only getting 3-5k miles on a rear tire. I hate the way a rear tire feels when it gets like this though so I have no problem replacing it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Umm, what tread ? This is roughly 20,000 miles...
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMgaQYI76jD_jZnJY_tA
That's November... road salt being a dead giveaway. >:)

Riding them until they're bald makes a difference. Road temperatures may also account for a large difference. A significant portion of my miles are on cold and/or wet pavement meaning, far less wear. Hot, dry, debris-less pavement and those baldies are actually quite nice for leaning. (have'n fun with'em now LoL...)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are q4s good street tire? Mileage dont matter to me, was thinking of getting q3s for my 17, but the q4s were not much more expensive. No tracks here, so mostly street.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
think I paid $340 installed from a trackside dealer. Once you get the pressures figured out they seem like a decent tire. Not sure how they operate in the raing...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Q3+ all the way for the street, and pretty good track performance too. I may replace mine with Q4s. Not sure how bad the center of the tire will wear from highway use yet. The Q3+/dual compound does fine for both highway and twisties.

·
Black is the only color..
8 Posts
I bought the Pilot Powers, last year. Pilot RS is too extreme for me. So far, I don't regret my choise. It's soft enough to feel the road. But not so soft that they are done after 3K km.

·
LHRB
20 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmart grips well and wears longer than the Q3/Q3+. I run the Q3+ though. You're not going to get 10k miles out of anything remotely sporty. There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.
Resurrecting this thread. Quote above is truth.

I recently picked up an almost new 2018 R6 that had on it the S21. Barely scrubbed in tires, only 400 miles on the bike.

I have been running Q4s and Q3+ on myother bike for both aggressive street and track riding this past season. Very satisfied with the Dunlops.

I only get 2000 miles out of a set of tires. Grip means soft compound and short life.

The most important consideration for me is long life, not of the tire, but my own. Grip comes before any other consideration.

I will be taking off the S21 and putting on some dunlop's soon.

Here is some video of a close call I had last week due to loss of traction on the front with out really pushing the bike too hard. S21 almost let me down.

(Of course I have to blame the tire, since it can't be the rider! :) )

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
@Pard - Depending on how the road was constructed and the amount of travel it sees, the road might be covered with a lot of super tiny rocks. Don't think that's the case here, but sometimes there are hidden dips in the road; occurring at or near the apex of a corner. Fortunately it looks like you still had a lot of reserve. As long as one doesn't overreact, under those conditions traction should recover and the suspension will settle out.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts