Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the track but I've just invested in a dedicated track bike. What tires do you guys recommend? The tires are for practice and not racing.

I've read that Supercorsa Pros and Power Races are good choices, but I'm wondering, since it's for a dedicated track bike, should I go with slicks? If so, what's a good slick?

I just want the right tire for me (track beginner). I'm also worried about heat cycles for slicks. Heard they don't work as well after several heat cycles, which as a practice tire may be a problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
just run a dot race tire, theres a good amount of ppl that race and run race tires over slicks. you really cant go wrong with any of dunlops, bridgestone, pirelli or michelins...it just comes down to price and how easy they are to get

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
If you are just getting started on the track I would recommend trying the Bridgestone BT002 RS. It is designed to be a trackday tire with long wear characteristics and has the same tire profile as the BT002 pros. The grip is excellent and the tires provide superb feedback when they are on the edge of traction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Michelin Power Race tires are great! I used them on several track days, they stick like glue with little to no warm up time. I ran them without tire warmers, they lasted about 4 track days. I'm pretty hard on tires so they may last you longer. Purchased a set for 240.00

I'm now using Michelin Pilot racing slicks. These DO require investing in tire warmers otherwise they are a little slipery cold. I purchased a set for 199.00. I liked them so much I'm on my second set. The first set lasted me 2 track days, again, I'm very hard on tires so they may last you alot longer. Also remember that with slicks you'll need to invest in a generator, front and rear bike stands too.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
695 Posts
ishp2005 said:
The Michelin Power Race tires are great! I used them on several track days, they stick like glue with little to no warm up time.
i hope your joking :eek5

pr have a very hard carcass thats why you have to run the rear at 22 psi and they take the longest to heat up. pirellis have little to no warm up if any....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didn't like the original Dunlops I had on the 00 R6, they slid all over the place cold or hot. The only other brand I've used since are Michelins (I also run the rears at 22PSI) I love them. My buddy went from Michelin Power Race to Pirelli (paid over 350.00), unfortunatly he wrecked the day he used them, I asked what his next brand of tires will be, he isn't sure. For me, Michelins are the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
695 Posts
thats what you think...for 240 your on the commercial cycle gear soft med/ soft power races....the good power races(pr series) are just as expensive. pr series is the prc, pr1 through pr5...thats what im on

·
Registered
6 Posts
look if your just runnin track days corsa 3's are great tires you dont need warmers but there nice to have i dont recomend slicks unless your racin

·
Registered
308 Posts
You'll see at the track after your first day. In the Northwest all the top racers whether it be ss or sb(dot or slicks) run Pirelli or Dunlop. & FYI the Pirelli dot is the same as their slick but with grooves cut into it.
Hope it helps.
K-9

1 - 13 of 13 Posts