Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking if getting this done before my Vegas Trip on June 11.
Has anyone got this done on your eyes? If you had, any inputs as to the after effects and how the procedure went?

Here's a couple of links to the facilities I alraedy checked out and got Exam. The first link offers cheaper fees.

Lasik Plus - I got quoted for $2518 both eyes
http://www.lasikplus.com

Laser Eye Center - $3400-$5000
http://www.2020eyesite.com

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
from the few stories i've heard, everyone loves it. it takes a few days for your vision to tighten up after it but everyone raves about it saying that the now see better than the have before.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
this chic i been bangin had it done and she loves it....i'm planning on gettin it next year. she said the only thing she had happen was that she got really bad headaches for a week or so after the procedure but now she says its all good. loves it. glad she did it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got it done and I really like it, wearing glasses sucks.

The only problem with it is that when I'm driving at night and I'm coming up behind 3 lanes of traffic and everyone has their brakes on. I have a little trouble distinguishing one car from another. It's not terrible, but I definetly notice it. If I had the choice to do it, or not to do it, all over again I'd be in that chair in a second !!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got lasik done a few months ago. The procedure takes all of about 5 minutes. I didn't feel any pain during or after the procedure. You'll have to take prescription drops for a few days after the surgery. Your vision will imrove right after the surgery, but it'll fluctuate for the first month: one eye will be 20/20, the other 20/30, then back and forth the next day. It should stabilize around the end of the month. Night vision will have halos around lights, but it may or may not go away depending on the doctor and the patient.

My vision right now is 20/15 in both eyes. been like that since my surgery. I used to have mild halos around lights at night, but they've pretty much gone away. I paid a lot of cash for my surgery, but the doctor was highly reputable -- he performed surgery on sly stallone, courtney cox, gail devers, and some football players that I can't remember. I've been exposed to CS gas too (type or riot gas), and it hasn't messed up my eyes, so for me, lasik was alright. definitely worth the cash.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Holy hawkeyes batman! ..... sounds like everyone's shelled out the Gs to get their eyes zapped!

That shit has gone a long way..... I'd consider it when I'm a bit older...
:cheers

·
Registered
443 Posts
My wife was blind as a bat, she would even avoid driving at night cause her eye sight was so bad, she also had stigmitism (dunno spelling) She did the lasik's, now her eye sight is great. No more glasses or contacts to mess with, they even gave her a cool video of the surgery.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
suckers! I don't need no stinkin' glasses! :hammer :hammer :hump :idhitit :idhitit

I've heard it is awsome.

G

·
I am thinking about getting it done. Without my contacts if I am driving and a car is five feet in front of me I cant tell what kind it is. And I cant read anything five feet in front of me if I dont have my contacts in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am currently an Optometry student and really lasik has gotten better reviews over the years. Although there is one major thing to look for ok maybe two. First always go for a wavefront guided lasik opperation (ask your doc if you dont know what that is). Second if it is too cheap to be true then they are totally going to not correct all of your prescription and make have your come back for more.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
good tips ideal, i now ive been looking at some docs in the dallas and tyler area, and i beleive they all do the wavefront version of it. but ill defenitly make sure so i dont get screwed into coming back :cheers

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay everyone, I got the Lasik procedure done on my eyes this past Thursday. The whole procedure went perfectly smooth! Now I have 20/20
on both eyes! Before this I was practically blind and if I needed to see or read something clear, I have to move 6" away from anything. I had been wearing contacts & glasses for the past 13 years! And my eyes are really bad (ie: my prescription for my contacts are -6.00R & -6.50L)

Now I am a believer from this technology! I went with cheaper one offered by Lasik+Plus [/url]www.lasikplus.com and I believe they are pretty much...ng time ago, definitely worth the investment!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
dam mikee you were one blind bitch. i only have -2.00 in each eye and feel completely blind without contacts or glasses. im defenitly gettin this done after i get a few of those pesky bills taken care of :mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
goddamn...my contacts are only -1.00 & -1.25. I can't see for shit. -6.00 , you must be walking into walls without glasses.

I'm getting this surgery done as soon as I can.. Anyone know any good docs in the Boston area?

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
Oooookay...time for another long post by Joe:

I had 'laser correction eye surgery' done when I was 21 (I'm 26 now). I was in the Marine Corps at the time and the Navy does all medical services for the Marines. So, I signed up for the procedure the Navy was offering (since it was free...all healthcare is free in the Military).

Now, the Navy/Marine Corps doesn't perform LASIK on it's service members. If you want LASIK done you have to find a civilian doctor who you can go to. You're more than welcome to do so, but you would have to pay for it out of pocket. So, since I didn't want to spend money on it I went with the Navy's procedure...they use a similar procedure to LASIK called PRK, or photorefractive keratectomy. I'll explain why...

Let me explain the differences, pluses and minuses or both procedures.

LASIK
Baiscally both LASIK and PRK use the same LASER to perform the actual correction of the eye. Where they differ is how they let the LASER do it's job. In LASIK the doc takes a special razor blade type device and hooks it up to your face. The device might include a slight vacuum to 'pull' your eye out of the socket somewhat to allow for it to do the cutting. So...the doc lines up the blade, manually, then presses a button to allow the spring loaded blade to make a slice through the top two layers of the eye, the epithilium and the stroma (I'll explain in a sec). The trouble with this is that the doc could mess up...it's manually alined and human error is present. Anyway, the epithilium is the outer layer of the eye. Think of it as kind of a skin for the eye. It heals after damage, but can scar. The stroma lays just under the epithlium, but does not heal. Think of two layers of glass being layed on top of one another with some water in between. That's how the stroma will situate after the procedure. So, after the cut is made the LASER does it's job and the flap is peeled back over the area and the epithlium is allowed to heal...but only around the circular edge around the incision. The stroma never heals back. Now this is the inherent problem with LASIK. Because the stroma never heals back the only thing holding that chunk of your eye in place is the epithlium...and it can tear. Should you do any kind of activity allowing for strong blasts of wind to burst into your eye (sky diving, skiing, RIDING A MOTORCYCLE, etc.) could (read: cautionary could) dislodge this flap and if it happens...you would be required to wear some thick lenses for the rest of your life. This is why the Navy/Marine Corps wouldn't administer this procedure (combat environments and all that). The plus side is the recovery time is literally hours. A few hours later the epithlium has healed and the eye retains whatever shape the LASER has imprinted upon it...and you can see. Discomfort is extrememly low. Pain is non-existent. You're ready to go!

PRK
Here's where PRK differs (the procedure I had done): Instead of slicing through the epithlium and stroma as in LASIK, a sonic 'toothbrush' is used to scrub the epithlium off of the desired area, leaving the stroma in tact. The LASER is used. And the epithlium slow heals back over the damaged area. This takes a long time (as long as six months) to heal. The procedure itself is painless, but the healing process is an absolute hell for the first week! Imagine someone pouring a bag of sand into your eyes...and it won't wash out. Yeah...constant pain. Lot's of meds (to fight infection, steriods to fight scarring, and numbing drops to help with the pain) and the pain drops inhibit the healing process so your discouraged from using them! So, the advantage to this is the fact that the stroma is never damaged. Once the epithlium has healed you are 100% as good as you were before you had the procedure done and there is no risk of 'losing your flap'!

Hit me up if there are any questions! :toocool:

oh and btw I was 20/240 in both eyes before...I was corrected to 20/12 in both...absolutely bad ass!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had lasik done 2 years ago. I couldnt be happier my vision is perfect. The procedure was painless infact the next I had my 30th birthday party and wrestled with Mr.Kennedy (just fun). My eyes were a little itchy for the first couple hours and bright light was alittle sensitive for about a month.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts