Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
What is TOO MUCH? That has to be decided by each individual... I enjoy doing work on my bike myself, understanding the process, and what's improved. This is then tested out and reaffirmed when I ride. Being strictly track now, I think all the work done is warranted by not only making me better understand the machine I'm riding, but also in turn equating to me being a better rider with that understanding. The flip side could also be argued, were I able to afford a shop to do the work, I could focus specifically on my riding when at the track. Knowing I've done the work, re-checked my work, only gives me more confidence in the machine when riding... Interesting question proposed...

:popcorn:

·
Will work 4 trackdays!!!
741 Posts
Nice R-Silaxin

I enjoy working I my bike just about as much as riding it. Gives me a better understanding of how everything works and if something needs adjusted or changed later, I have the confidence of knowing how to do so. Also my confidence level while riding is increased because I know I did the work and know for a fact that everything is tight and in working order. If a dealer did the work that's one more thing I have running through my head, did they out everything back correctly.

So to say you work on the bike too much, I don't think that's possible. Always something that can be done or learned every time you dig into the bike.

Plus it's still cold out here, so I need something to pass the time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I don't think she is talking Mechanically working on your bike :lmao

I would say "work" translates into "effort" while riding is a better descriptive word.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
misti is a trackday instructor guys.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
:laugh Yeah, she's talking about how much physical effort you put into controlling the bike when you're riding.

I know I have this problem. I go out on the track and after 3-4 laps my legs are burning and I feel exhausted and I'm basically forced to relax cause I can't keep up the effort anymore - then I find I get faster and settle in and feel like I can go another 10 laps. I have yet to figure out how to relax right out of the gate though.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
:laugh

I thought we were talkin WORK on the bike. As for how hard I work riding the bike, not too much at all. I've been taught bar input is key. My lower body isn't moving around a ton, upper body is, to an extent. Much more so then my lower body movement. I haven't felt exhausted or pumped up since my first couple track days. That was nerve racking. Now, I'm out there having a blast, and in turn, the more relaxed I am the faster laps I'm turning... Relaxed, smooth, having fun has brought me a long way since I started. That said, I'm still slow as balls... :laugh

:popcorn:

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's really hard to stay loose on the bike. I try and kinda flap my arms a little to remind my self to stay loose. I find I'm fairly loose on the bike when I ck most of the time though. Most sprints here are 7 laps and I find my fastest to 3-5. Once I start racing again I need to work on being faster out the gate and taking it to the end stronger. I also will get stuck behind slower guys sometimes I need to be quicker about getting by and not let them slow my pace.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
The only time I feel like I am working hard on the bike is when I am fighting it. Generally, I have a problem over thinking while I am on the track. I need a sport psychologist I guess. :(

Last season was my first full season. I worked a ton on body position and reference points for my local track (Mid Ohio). One of the instructors suggested looking far out as possible and prepare for each section of the track. I followed his advice and it smoothed everything out. After looking at photos and video of myself I am still not satisfied. The one thing I do fight, which is exhausting (mentally and probably physically), is my upper body getting into the proper position for me. Which leads me to your title/question of "too much work". I think the brain gets in the way which leads to the SR's as Keith Code eludes to and creates or makes you work harder on the bike. Which doesn't let the body relax.

I have had that day that everything fell in to place and felt perfect. I super relaxed, confident, and full of smiles wipping around dragging knees. With that said, I bit off a little more than I could probably chew. I lowsided FML! I blame it on the tires (michelin pilot powers) :lmao It helps me cope :( I was running a high intermediate pace at the time to my credit.

It may not answer your post fully, but it gives you a better understanding of what I think makes people do "too much work" on the bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of us know that ;) I hope :D
:D

I did not, so my answer is invalid. LOL

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
:D

:laugh Yeah, she's talking about how much physical effort you put into controlling the bike when you're riding.

I know I have this problem. I go out on the track and after 3-4 laps my legs are burning and I feel exhausted and I'm basically forced to relax cause I can't keep up the effort anymore - then I find I get faster and settle in and feel like I can go another 10 laps. I have yet to figure out how to relax right out of the gate though.
Having your legs burning and feeling exhausted after 3-4 laps as you say is not the best way to start out. You say that you are basically forced to relax after you get tired and things get better. What exactly do you DO on the bike when you are forced to relax? Figuring out how to stay relaxed on the bike will make it easier for you to accomplish it right out of the gate.

It's really hard to stay loose on the bike. I try and kinda flap my arms a little to remind my self to stay loose. I find I'm fairly loose on the bike when I ck most of the time though. Most sprints here are 7 laps and I find my fastest to 3-5. Once I start racing again I need to work on being faster out the gate and taking it to the end stronger. I also will get stuck behind slower guys sometimes I need to be quicker about getting by and not let them slow my pace.
Flapping your arms to remind yourself to stay loose is a good reminder or a good check to see if you are actually relaxed or not. Sometimes we think we are relaxed but we actually have a death grip on the bars!

What are some things you can do to help you put less effort overall into your riding so you don't get tired and you can stay relaxed?

Misti

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Having your legs burning and feeling exhausted after 3-4 laps as you say is not the best way to start out. You say that you are basically forced to relax after you get tired and things get better. What exactly do you DO on the bike when you are forced to relax? Figuring out how to stay relaxed on the bike will make it easier for you to accomplish it right out of the gate.
So - I think my problem is that I'm pressing down through my legs as hard as I can, basically at all times. It's like I'm gritting my teeth ... through my legs. :laugh My toes will go pins & needles sometimes. Just pressing down to hard, not staying loose, not moving my feet around enough.

Probably moving my butt around too much too. A few laps like that and the legs just can't keep it up, and my movements become subtler and everything just kind of loosens up and relaxes. Probably very largely a state of mind thing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So - I think my problem is that I'm pressing down through my legs as hard as I can, basically at all times. It's like I'm gritting my teeth ... through my legs. :laugh My toes will go pins & needles sometimes. Just pressing down to hard, not staying loose, not moving my feet around enough.

Probably moving my butt around too much too. A few laps like that and the legs just can't keep it up, and my movements become subtler and everything just kind of loosens up and relaxes. Probably very largely a state of mind thing.
That will do it ;)

So what could you do instead?

How could focussing on getting your lower body stable so you didn't move around so much or press so hard on the pegs help?

Misti

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
get the suspension adjusted and go from there.
well, what if the RIDER is the problem? If the rider is working too hard on the bike, holding on too tight then they are affecting the suspension. changing things with the bike first won't make a difference, you have to adjust the rider first, then the suspension if there are still problems.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
That will do it ;)

So what could you do instead?

How could focussing on getting your lower body stable so you didn't move around so much or press so hard on the pegs help?

Misti
Try to relax in general.

Focus on getting setup smoothly, more so than quickly.

Relax the legs/feet on the straights a little.

I dunno, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts