Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bolts are factory loctited, trying to change out to a galfer wave rotor, well my bro broke the 6 point star tool inside the bolt, any ideas besides a drilln and easy out?

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you can get the bit out, try using an impact gun, or at least a hammer to get the bolt to break free. If you use an impact gun, just make sure the bits are rated for that, or you'll end up in the same place again.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
heat up the bolt/mounting point with a torch. once hot enough, that loctite will have melted and make the bolt come out with EASE.

and i'd just take my time trying to slowly pry that piece out of the bolt head, and once out far enough, i'd grab it with some vice grips and start getting ornery with it. :fact good luck dude.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Like Justin said, use heat....even when trying to get the broken piece out. Use a chisel and hit the broken piece clockwise to free it up. If all else fails drill her out using a high quality hardened bit.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Don't drill the broken bit ... it's hardened steel and will eat drill bits like butter.

Go get a small butane torch (like for smoking crack, lol), heat the bolt then grab the edges with vice grips.

The heat really makes a big difference. Heat every bolt as you loosen it. Get a new socket, btw. Don't use vice grips on every one.

-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts