Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out as to where I can get the tool for the adjusting nut on the steering stem? I'm talking about the nut with all the notches in it and not the big one on top.
I guess it would be the same thing as a spanner wrench that you would use for the rear shock, but smaller.

Thanks

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not talking about the one on the top. That one is like a 36MM.
I'm talking about the 2 notched nuts on the underside of the triple clamp........

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm not talking about the one on the top. That one is like a 36MM.
I'm talking about the 2 notched nuts on the underside of the triple clamp........
ghetto version using normal tools is as follows:
channel locks
screwdriver + hammer. insert flathead inbetween the notches, and hit it in the correct direction

·
I Heart My R6!
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yea I figured I'd use channel locks or a screwdriver to get them off, butttt they need to be torqued once put back on. Repair manual says torque to 38 FT. LBS. then loosen one turn and then torque another 10 FT. LBS. and then check steering to make sure nothing is bound up.
Why they want you to loosen one turn then torque again I don't understand......
Just want to make sure I do it right

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well yea I figured I'd use channel locks or a screwdriver to get them off, butttt they need to be torqued once put back on. Repair manual says torque to 38 FT. LBS. then loosen one turn and then torque another 10 FT. LBS. and then check steering to make sure nothing is bound up.
Why they want you to loosen one turn then torque again I don't understand......
Just want to make sure I do it right
Torqueing it then backing it off and torqueing it the second time makes sure the preload on the bearing is correct and not bound up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts