Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just wandering what the top speed on the '03 R6 was... my cousin's friend said he went 171 and topped his out. Is that true, or have you had any experiences with that? Also, does it differ on every bike?

Thanks,
-Solace

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had mine at 265 KM/h, But it wasn't topped out. It got there real easy aswell.

I'll take it for a blast next weekend and hold it to the rug till i max it, I'm guessing it will do 288km/h or so.

The way I was told to find out your top speed was to get the bike in its top gear and go half of your redline. So my bike in 6th gear at 7750rpm was at 144km/h , so I figure it should go 288km/h maxed out at 15500rpm.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
there is a certain amount of error in the speedo's and as the speed increases, so does the margin of error. I've seen it posted on another forum somewhere and I'll try and find it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Penfold... forgive me, but I'm not catching your drift. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't that about the R1 speed, not the R6?

-Solace

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
potato....potahto......

they both use the same pickups to determine speed ('02+ R1 and '03+ R6). my main point being that if you are on your bike and cranking in redline in 6th and it reads 150mph or whatever, there is a certain margin of error in there and you aren't really doing 150mph. So, if you want to find out exactly how fast you were going, you have to account for about 6% error in the reading, or so it seems margin around there.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh... gotcha... point taken and understood. Thanks Penfold yet again!

:mrgreen: :jump :hump

-Solace

·
Registered
327 Posts
Top speed with a radar gun is 157mph. The 2001 GSXR1000 will do 186mph.

Penfold is right, the speedo's are off. The faster you go, the more off they get. When my boyfriend tops his bike out (2001 GSX-R1000), it says 194mph, but we know that isn't right, more closer to the 186mph range.

If you really want it to feel like you are going fast, drop a tooth on the front sprocket, and don't change anything with the speedo. I did that, and now I'm in the 170's, but we ALL know that isn't right, right? hahaha

·
Registered
12 Posts
just to throw my two cents in 161 mph

and I realized that it takes awhile to haul down from that speed and lift your head up to high cause it hurts the neck

Shooter

·
Registered
308 Posts
ha :!: i guess i'll round up the bunch and bring in the rear with a gentle breeze at 110mph... then i got pulled over by officer asshole who by the way can't do math writing down my age wrong. it sucks i'm too damn paranoid to speed ever again... either that or i cant afford it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
IF he got you at 110 tell him you should have been out yesterday when I was doing the same thing on one wheel. Here in Columbus the cops have a no chase rule. Atlanta had the same thing till they brought out the ghetto birds and started blocking the exits. Lets just say always look up before you tuck!!!

Blade

·
Registered
308 Posts
i was rushing home for dinner and my friend and i was being tailed by the asshole. he didn't say how he determinded my speed by i guess since he was right in back of us he went off his speedo

fireblade... tight! props! if anyone can do that on one wheel mad propz!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts