Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to upgrade my race bike - the '04 GSXR-600 got me thru novice and still has more seconds to drop if I can coax it out of her...An '08 R6 would surely be faster, but thinking I am going to mod the rider again before I go with another bike....

PIR (Portland) has a long front straight - about 3/4 of a mile. If I get a really good drive out of 9 vs an average group A track day rider, I can hold of the 750 and keep the 1000 behind me for maybe 50% of the way down the straight. So, in short, it is clearly apparent to me that the rider can make up for a lot (obvious - no new news there), but even against bigger bikes (granted, only if they are lesser riders)...

So while every bone in my body wants a new R6 - I have been hanging out on here to learn about them over the last few months - I think I will be doing a race school...looking at the Spencer School in Dec...

Now maybe I can convince myself that both are worth doing this winter, but if I have to prioritize, I think I am going with the race school. I can always live vicariously thru the folks on this board with the slick handling track weapon that is the 2008 R6.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
My opinion, pick up a used 06-07. It'll save you some money. Mostly the thing that draws people into the 08 over the 06-07 is the variable intake and the better midrange from it. If you're building it for track, you're probably going to "disable" the variable intake at some point as it's designed mostly for street use. Save the hassle and some money.

:popcorn:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts