Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just got my first bike last week 08 R6 and Im about ready to give up. I was very excited about riding but I am having so many problems, while trying to learn a couple of times I got off of the clutch to soon and it kept going dead, I would finally get it rolling for about two minutes and the next time it went dead I tried to crank it, it would'nt, just made clicking sound I had to have my boyfriend give it a push to restart it. I took it back to the dealership and they said that there was nothing wrong with the bike but I just needed to learn how to ride it. They said that I was killing the battery by stop and starting it. How am I supposed to learn how to ride it when I have to keep push starting it:mad:. I am going to take the msf course but the next class isn't until August in my area. Does anyone have any tips for now. Thanks

·
blah
89 Posts
let the clutch out slower and give a little more gas i guess...u should have learned or at least rode another bike before u bought an 08 r6

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
It sounds like your battery isn't fully charged. But you will need to have patience with learning how to clutch. It will come as long as you be patient.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, sounds like you need to learn to drive a clutch. Cars are easier than bikes, the easiest for you I would think, would be a quad or a dirtbike since the controls are similar besides a thumb throttle on the quad, thats about it though.

If you keep starting it over and over again and dont let it run to charge the battery it will eventually die like it did to you.

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
Wait for the MSF course...

I can't drive manual on a car (cuz i haven't done it in years and still haven't tried) and I figured out the bike just fine...

But yeah, go take the MSF course if you're having trouble. Dump their bikes and kill their clutches instead of yours! Where are you located? I'll help ya out if you're in SoCal. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Definitely take the MSF course before anything else. Learn on their bikes, don't hurt yours. Your bike is worth a lot more. August isn't too far away, it will be worth the wait. In the mean time perhaps some parking lot situations are what you should try.

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
Yeah, I did it inthe alley to figure out the clutch control on my bike. I don't think I touched the gas for the first couple hours... Just starting off by the clutch and stop... rinse and repeat about 15 million times.

My hardest feat was starting from a dead stop.

·
Jet noise in the morning
578 Posts
august is almost here but if you're too impatient then try letting out the clutch slowly while
giving it some gas and if done right you should feel the bike start to pull.

·
Registered
206 Posts
welcome, where r u from? i might be able to help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am located in Arkansas, and I never drove a manual transmission. I will try to be patient now that I know it's the operator instead of the bike. I will let you know how it's going in the future. Thanks for your help:bow

·
Registered
158 Posts
B patient, easy on the clutch, heavier on the gas. U control the bike not the other way around. Chicks on r6's is hot hang in there.

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
LOL buddahson, that made me laugh but yeah... that'll cause massive dying. if you kill it, turn it off for like 30 seconds, dont keep turning it on or it'll kill the battery.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The way i first started was practicing with the clutch in my driveway back and forth, on my '08 you have to let the clutch almost all of the way out before it catches, just try doing that until the bike starts moving then give it a little gas...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go to a parking lot and hold the clutch in and as you start to slowly let it out give it about idk learning RPM of 1500 to 2500 not to much bc you dont want the bike to fly off..... and continue to slowly let the clutch out

if it die wait 1 to 2 mins and then start it back up so you dont run the batt down as fast

it just takes time but one you have it down it will be like riding a bike

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks everyone, I rode the bike today for about 2 hours and it only died once:YEA thanks for all your help:
cool deal! get use to killin it by the way, i've been riding for about 6 monthes now and every once ina while ill kill it at a stop sign cause i get too eager.. emmbbaarraassinnng! but its ok if people see you kill the bike..because chances are, they dont have a sexy bike like you. welcome to teh forum!:lmao

1 - 20 of 21 Posts