Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this up on another r6 site, but i figured it wouldn't hurt my chances to post it up here also :mrgreen:

Ok, first off, easy on the noob. Been reading and takin in this and a few other bike sites over the last few weeks.

Spent the afternoon, and went through the last 10 pages or so, basically back to january, and did some reading, and got some questions and need some expert input to see if I'm on the right track.

Read through and obviously know that leather > textile stuff, but for a noob like me, some stuff isn't listed in plain english for me to understand.

Also, i currently own a kaw ex500, first bike, learner bike. When i decided i wanted to get into riding, that was the overwhelming choice for a first bike. Rode that all last year, put some good miles on it, and i'm lookin to stepup to an r6 for mainly a 3-4 mile daily commute, but also to have the gear to go and cruise around when time/work permits. I'll be movin down to FL here in the next week, so the climate is constantly hot, and heat will be an issue. As i guess i see it, i see me wearing jacket, gloves, and maybe boots for daily use, but want some pants + such to use when i really wanna ride. Helmet is a duh, already have that. Again, please be nice to the noob

jacket = Teknic Chicane Leather Jacket (got pretty good reviews from this site, not sure from looking at it if it's all leather except for the perf'ed front or what)

pants = are the Cortech GX any good?

gloves = teknic violators seem to be a good mix between price/safety

boots = i'm clueless. I looked at some of the boots, but help me out on this one, say you're goin down to the local place for some lunch, are you gonna wear the solid ass boots, or just some sturdy over the ankle shoes, or what?

again, if ya just have some help on one thing, please feel free to chime in. thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well i don't know much about the teknic jacket, but from what i hear the cortech gear is supposed to be pretty good. Same with the violator gloves. As for boots I have heard great things about Sidi vertabrae 2, the alpinestars are supposed to be pretty good too

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have Joe rocket mesh and full textile, both nice for the price. A couple of my friends have gone down on the air-mesh and the pants held up well.

As far as Cortech VS Joe Rocket, I haven't tried their pants, but the Cortech mesh jacket is 10 times better than the Joe rocket for quality construction. That and my Joe rocket textile fell apart after two years (and no, I never did anything to promote it's wear like check it's impact resistance)

One word on textiles, keep your knee in, I made the mistake last year of tossing my knee down on the joe rocket textile, the grab is quite impressive, almost took me off the bike!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
im just going to say this one thing, LEATHER LEATHER LEAHER. it will save your ass at most any speed from gettin road rash out the wazoo. as for boots i would get something like a doc martin type of boot but with some more ankle support. u dont really need racin type boots unless u plan on ridin your bike like a racer around town. :cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
loki1313 has a good point on the boots, I usually wear plane jane triumph riding boots (the $99 kind). The key is to cover the ankles. I had a buddy who was riding in mesh gear and sneakers, he hit the guard rail, sneaker go pulled off, limped for 2 months. had he been wearing boots he would have walked away.

oh yeah, double tie your laces if you do opt for laced boots, it's a pain in the ass if they get tangled around the peg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, after takin some advice and lookin at stuff from this thread ( http://p074.ezboard.com/fyamahar6messagenetsafteyequipment.showMessage?topicID=2776.topic ) ..., this is kinda what i came up with ( again, copied post )

thanks a bunch guys,

after lookin at it, i'm either settled on the alpine SP-3's, or the air carbon ones. The sp-3's look all around thicker, but the air carbon ones have the knuckle guard, eh, at least i'm in the right direction on that.

boots- i think thats the only think i'm gonna end up short on. I can't see me throwin on the huge ones for a ride through 30 mph subdivison :D Oxtar has a pair of boots that are basically sturdy high ankle shoes, those looked pretty good for what i'm doin http://www.newenough.com/oxtar_jupiter_goretex_boots_page.htm

jacket - i'm also kinda taking a liking to yamaha's one here.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accesso...px?conid=1&sconid=14&pid=2467&filter=All&pg=5
i'm not too concerned with brand, or name loyalty, as when i get stuff, i keep it for a long time :D

pants - decent lookin leather pants are hard to find. If you're sittin back on a harley, everything is fine, but not for a sportbike.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accesso...px?conid=1&sconid=14&pid=2468&filter=All&pg=6
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accesso...px?conid=1&sconid=14&pid=3962&filter=All&pg=4

i realize for quality stuff, i'm gonna pay through the nose, correct? Guess i'd just rather have a little piece of mind, and be able to get up if the unthinkable happens.

Alas, i'll be waitin to buy it til i purchase the bike here in the coming weeks, I've seen some of the guys get a good deal with a few hundred dollars in store credit, that might be the way to go for me. Again, feel free to voice your opinion on what i've taken a liking to, you guys unfortunatly have the higher experience, and the "off the bike" experiences :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts