Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's gotta be someone on this List who tours with the R6, 'cause that's what I'm gonna be doing.

Before the R6, I had an '06 BMW K1200R. Compared to the R6 (my first sportbike), it's a big fat slow pig. I couldn't take it anymore so I'm dumping it. Now I need to outfit the R6 for touring. So I need a good medium sized tankbag, saddlebags, and then I've got a few good bags ranging in size to put across the pillion seat and the saddlebags, that I'll drape a cargo net over to bungee it in place.

That's why I'm looking for a tank bag and saddlebags for the R6.

Leo

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
:nono :poke :rocket

·
Livin in Paradise
994 Posts
I have always liked the Icon tank bags. You can pack alot into them and they are very comfortable to lay on. They also attach with magnets to the tank that hold very well. Also a big clear pocket on top for a map. Dont know about saddle bags though.

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:nono :poke :rocket
PS. When I do track days, I ride the 175 miles to the track and back, pack all my stuff on the bike. Got no trailer, nor am I interested in riding in the car or truck that'd be needed to haul the trailer.

Leo

·
Registered
12 Posts
How long can you guys ride on the bike bofore you have to take a break?
If i ride my 07 R6 for more than 30 minutes without making a stop for a strech, my hipps and a s s starts getting very uncomfortable. Maybe its just me and my body type but i find it uncomfortable, maybe the seats or something else. I am 5'8" and 185 Lbs.

Any ideas on how to improve this or does anyone matching my physique have the same issues?

·
Registered
592 Posts
How long can you guys ride on the bike bofore you have to take a break?
If i ride my 07 R6 for more than 30 minutes without making a stop for a strech, my hipps and a s s starts getting very uncomfortable. Maybe its just me and my body type but i find it uncomfortable, maybe the seats or something else. I am 5'8" and 185 Lbs.

Any ideas on how to improve this or does anyone matching my physique have the same issues?

I have made 3 trips from Atlanta to B'ham (188 miles) and I stop for gas when the reserve light comes on around 135-140. I am 6ft and 180 and 48 yrs old:) Make no mistake I am ready for the light to come on when it does though:D

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have made 3 trips from Atlanta to B'ham (188 miles) and I stop for gas when the reserve light comes on around 135-140. I am 6ft and 180 and 48 yrs old:) Make no mistake I am ready for the light to come on when it does though:D
I'll stop about every hundred miles.

Leo

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Here is my setup

Bags connection tankback with map pocket and the SWMotech gas cap mount (doesn't touch the bike at all). Givi E46 trunk and SWMotech mounting plate mounted to an extra passenger seat. I have a thread with photos of my install. This is my bike on my Iowa-Deals gap trip this year. On the top of the trunk in the towel is my seat cowl. Get to deals gap, ditch the trunk and mount in the room and put the cowl on. I can ride until I run out of gas, usually that is no more than 2 hours since 135 miles to a tank is max. The key to that for me is a throttle lock.

·
Livin in Paradise
994 Posts
The longest trip i made on a 07 R6 was 2516 miles with 985 miles in one day and about 1/3 of that trip in the rain. Fast riding and only stopping to get gas. To ma having a tank bag i could lay on made a hugh difference. Took a lot of pressure off the back and made it pretty comfortable, but dosent help the rear hurting. I had another bag strapped to the rear. Not saying i wasnt hurting and cussing myself more than once but it was a good trip. I also layed in bed for a day when i got back.

I am 6'2" and weight in at 230lbs.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Here is my setup

Bags connection tankback with map pocket and the SWMotech gas cap mount (doesn't touch the bike at all). Givi E46 trunk and SWMotech mounting plate mounted to an extra passenger seat. I have a thread with photos of my install. This is my bike on my Iowa-Deals gap trip this year. On the top of the trunk in the towel is my seat cowl. Get to deals gap, ditch the trunk and mount in the room and put the cowl on. I can ride until I run out of gas, usually that is no more than 2 hours since 135 miles to a tank is max. The key to that for me is a throttle lock.
Thats really scary. Wrong bike for that IMO.

Regards to the K1200R - is that really that slow??? I mean I know the bike has like 150+ hp, how could the R6 feel faster? especially with the torque on it? Just curious. I know someone here with a K1200S. It's heavy with a long wheelbase, but he leads me on straights, though he can't keep up in the twisties, much, much slower.

Longest I've gone on my R6 is about 700 miles stopping for gas and bathroom breaks. Used a tank bag and a backpack. I'm not too fond of strapping stuff to the pillion seat; afraid of scratches.

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats really scary. Wrong bike for that IMO.

Regards to the K1200R - is that really that slow??? I mean I know the bike has like 150+ hp, how could the R6 feel faster? especially with the torque on it? Just curious. I know someone here with a K1200S. It's heavy with a long wheelbase, but he leads me on straights, though he can't keep up in the twisties, much, much slower.

Longest I've gone on my R6 is about 700 miles stopping for gas and bathroom breaks. Used a tank bag and a backpack. I'm not too fond of strapping stuff to the pillion seat; afraid of scratches.
The K12R/S aren't slow (they'll outmuscle any R6, if not R1), they're just fat pigs, which make them feel slow by comparison with any 600cc or liter sportbike.

Leo

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
The K12R/S aren't slow (they'll outmuscle any R6, if not R1), they're just fat pigs, which make them feel slow by comparison with any 600cc or liter sportbike.

Leo
Agreed - I was in a group 3 weeks ago with the dude that I mentioned above with the K1200S - he was far from slow, in the straights he could lead me by a car length with no problems and pull away easily when he wanted to. In the curves I got the impression that he was holding back, he was really slow in the curves.

I also ride a heavy bike - a zzr which makes my R6 look like a ballerina in comparison, but I can lean her almost as far as my r6, granted with much more effort, but results are similar.

Dude on the 1200s seemed almost afraid to lean over too far.

I didn't get to ride the 1200s but it seemed like a monster - definitely nothing I would call slow and something that I think needs like 10 - 20 years of experience, seat time and falls to really handle as a sports bike.

·
Type something witty here
134 Posts
I'm planning on adapting Givi hard side cases to my R6S for a few rides next year. I have a 400 mile round trip and a 1200 mile round trip planned. The brackets shouldn't be too hard for me to fab. You could find someone to make you brackets to fit your bike.

·
Motorcycle Drive By
791 Posts
I went from Chicago to Nashville 3 weeks ago, 500+- or so. Gas was the only time I stopped, brutal ride.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Here is my setup

What type of throttle lock are you using? I've been wanting to get something, but can't find anything that will work except for a Throttlemeister, but I'm not too fond of the way they look...

There is a company that makes saddlebags for sportbikes, and they don't look that bad.... I'm searching now

EDIT: I found these for saddlebags- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/56/CLASS/Street-Bike-Saddlebags-Luggage-Accessories.aspx

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I ride my bike everywhere. On my 06 i had a tank bag and a tail bag. But on my 07 i just use my 5000 cu. expedition backpack. I can fit a bunch of stuff in it and when i sit up the bottom of the pack rests on the passenger seat so it takes the weight off my shoulders.

I've rode back and forth to TN from MA. It's about a 14 ride one way, going fast and just stopping for gas and snacks

·
Team Blue
311 Posts
does anybody do anything for their butt? Is there any good gel seat covers or tips or tricks to keep your butt from hurting??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts