Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I eat R6s... 07 R1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to know if a sport touring tire is good enough for most street riders even if they want to push their bikes. Is it better to have a sticky tire lets say if you're not an experienced aggressive rider? Could it be more forgiving meaning safer when hitting some twisties? Or would a sport touring tire be sticky enough for any street rider?
A noob must feel confident when attempting to push his or her machine.
I really want to trust my tires will stick when I fly into that turn.
Who has pushed the sport touring tire to the limits?

·
I eat R6s... 07 R1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i would like to try something like the pilot road 2 if it'd be safe to still experiment with aggressive riding but no 190/55/17 :(

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Several magazines have taken sport-touring tires to the track. They work just fine unless you're running at a race pace for several laps. The last test I saw was a couple of years ago, before the newer ones (Bridgestone BT021, Michelin Pilot Road 2, Dunlop Roadsmart) with dual tread compounds came out. I don't know this for a fact, but I would be willing to bet that the Pilot Road 2s use the same compound on the sides as the regular Pilot Power, they just have a harder center for increased mileage during the boring parts of the commute. In other words, you could push the Road 2s a lot harder than you will ever need to on the street. Yes, you can get your knee down all day long if you have to with a set of new ST rubber.

The Bridgestones and Dunlops are similar, and I'm pretty sure they are available in all of the major sizes.

·
I eat R6s... 07 R1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
id like to get the road2 but they dont come in 55s :( im trying to find a tire thats sport touring with duel compound that does but i havent had any success

·
1,309 Posts
I guess they don't have them in a 190/55. I just checked and i couldn't find them anywhere. You could always go with a 180/55, which the R6 is designed for.:sing

·
1,309 Posts
Oh... Nevermind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts