Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to start. Yes I've searched and read reviews. However, I still need to ask for location specific reasons.

My tires are getting close to the point of needing replaced. I was hoping I could get some input from people with first hand experience on brands of touring tires. I live in Idaho and no tracks very close to me so all I do is Street riding anymore :( . No canyons or burnouts or anything crazy hard on tires like that, though occasionally I do a parking lot wheelie or two. Not often though. My biggest concerns with a new set of tires is life of the tire not so freaking hard that I slide in corners.

The geniuses with Idaho transportation department think it's a good idea to "resurface" roads by pouring a little tar then dumping half an inch of gravel over the whole thing. Not very safe for riding with hard tires.

So since the most informative posts I found were either two plus years old, or were focused on track tires, I'm posting a new thread. Maybe someone has had a chance to ride a new this year tire? ?? If not, tried and true best tire for my needs? Thanks in advance

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
First off, no motorcycle tire will help against sliding out on pea gravel amd seal coating.. but as for touring tires in general, when I was out killin' the streets back in the day I had great luck with Pilot Road 2 tires.. I had 6k miles on them when I sold the bike and the front looked pretty much new while the rear was probably at 60%. They're rather grippy too, for a sport touring.. I did my first track day with them and while they slid around a bit on braking off the front straight, all in all they did quite well. I think there's a Road 3 out now, but I'm not sure the added cost justifies the benefits.

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. That is the direction I was headed to. Most people say they are good street tires. I haven't heard much about the 3 though. If it lasts a little longer might be worth the price difference.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Thanks for the replies. That is the direction I was headed to. Most people say they are good street tires. I haven't heard much about the 3 though. If it lasts a little longer might be worth the price difference.

It's my understanding that the 3 has 3 compounds compared to the 2's 2 compounds.. so the center is still hard but there's more progression to a softer edge. Street riding life should be about the same.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
My bike currently has Pilot Road 2's and they have about 5000 street miles and 3 track days at a beginner pace and they still a lot of tread on them

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I can tell you exactly how many miles I got out of my last set of Pirelli Angel GTs because I keep track of that shit.

But I wont.

Because it's not relevant to you. The mileage you get could vary wildly from mine based on where you ride, how you ride, the pressure you set, etc.

But I will tell you is they are plenty sticky enough to take you to knee dragging, death defying, license suspending speeds on a twisty mountain road. Ever since I discovered what a sport touring tire can do, I feel that putting a hypersport tire on a street-only bike is a total waste of money.

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that's why I was wondering. I put corsa 3 tires on my old 954 but that was back in the day when I could make it to the track. I'm only Street riding anymore and there's really not much for twisty roads around here. Not to mention I'm getting old and boring so I rarely get over 80 these days. I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. Looks like it's just price shopping now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts