Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im moving again and everyone is telling me just to tow my r6 in the back of my ranger. the problem is that ill have to leave the tailgate down, and i just dont feel comfertable doing it. iv had my truck for a while and have loaded a lot of items, with out any incidents. but my baby in the back of a truck with the gate down...im very concerned. has anyone done this successfully or had problems?? thanks!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah just get the straps that wrap aroung your handle bars, and get some of the good pull straps, and you'll be set to go.....i had to tote my baby around one time with out a tail gate cause my tailgate got stollen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought my bike 2.5 hours away from my home and i towed it in the back of my ranger it did just fine running on the interstate at 80-90 mph i had 4 wratchet tie downs(4 is ecessive but it go the job done more than perfect) it didn't move one bit you should be fine man!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do 6-12 hour trips up and down hills with my bike in the back of my s-10 when I do track days. I've 4-wheel up uneven dirt/rocky roads at 45 deg. angles when I went to deals gap in the smokey mountains. With 4 tie downs the bike didn't move a cm. Be sure to buy ratcheting tie downs and compress the shocks bout half way. Most imprtantly... Keep it in gear!!! especially with the tail gate down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know about off-roading with the bike in the back, but okay.

I have carried mine around in the back of my old S-10 and now my new Tacoma with the tailgate down whenever I have gone to a track day. Does fine with just some good ratched tie downs. Agree with the comment of leave the bike in gear. If you are really nervous about side to side motion you can always take some 2X4's and cut them to wedge between the side of the truck bed and the front and rear tires. Although, you shouldn't need to do that unless you are pulling 1G corners in your Ranger.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
I have done multiple runs of 2-3 hours @ 80 MPH with my bike in the back of my S10 with NO tailgate... I couldn't put it up, so I took it off and left it in the garage...

If your worried about it sliping out the back, use an extra set of ratched straps to go from your rear spools to the front of the truck.. I did it b/c I have them and it took no time at all. Just be careful that you don't over do it and end up bending the spools....

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
If you are worried about the bike coming out the back, wrap a strap arround the very back of your back tire then hook it to the sides of the truck then tighten till you are comfortable cause a ratchet strap won't break your tire or rim. Did that with a friends bike in the back of a Dodge Ram for three hours, we averaged 80 mph but i hit 120 mph for a minuet or 2, looked back at 120 mph and nothing was moving, the bike was in there solid. we had those cool custom handel bar tie downs and two more tiedowns, one on each side of the bike from the frame. Five tie downs, no problem. we would have gotten away with three but we did five just to be sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did what bullfrog did..just used 4 tiedowns and it worked just fine with no probs at all, although my trip was only about 30 minutes........2.5 hours would make me kinda nervous.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i had mine in my dad's avalanche traveling, when i went to unload it, one of the cables snapped on the tailgate. its a known problem with the larger chevy pickups, but it's something that the dealers are fixing, and something they have improved in the newer models. but i think when i do it again, i'll get a trailer instead to be safe.

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
Also, if 2.5 hours of driving with a bike makes you nervous, just stop every now and then to make sure the straps are tight.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
Also, if 2.5 hours of driving with a bike makes you nervous, just stop every now and then to make sure the straps are tight.
I recommend that you check the bike after the first 10 minutes of movement, hopefully above 50 MHP. It should settle into the bed of the truck in that time, and you will be able to tighen the straps then.

·
Something Clever
1,272 Posts
There really isn't a whole lot to add to this one, but I'm gonna anyway cause I'm bored and this is one of the few things I have knowledge of. Mechanic I is not. I picked my bike up in Ohio and brought it back in a trailer. A: easier to get it into a trailer that is 1' off ground with a ramp than my truck bed. What I was told was to compress the front forks some to keep it from bobbing and becoming loose. So you need two people and the ratchets that have been mentioned above. One sits on bike and just presses down on bars to lower the front end and the other tightens the ratchet down. DO NOT COMPRESS FORKS ALL THE WAY. It needs to absorb the bumps and all. I also strapped the rear foot pegs. What saved my ass, since I was in a damn monsoon, was the wheel chock for the front wheel (see 2X4's mentioned above). This really helped to stabilize the bike. This also in turn scratched the damn rim cause I put it on too tight. So, fter all this rambling, I basically am just saying I agree with what has been said above, just adding the part about the forks. And you really have to get off and check it a few times cause the straps will loosen. Good Luck.

·
Flyin' and Ridin'
56 Posts
you guys got it right. I'm military and have made many cross country moves with my 6 in the back of my pickup. Mine is full size truck, so the tailgate shuts, but that shouldn't matter. It helps b/c when traveling overnight, like i did from texas to florida, i backed up real close to a light post in the motel parking lot. That way anybody look to gank my bike couldn't get the tailgate down, they'd have to pick it up over the side of the bed...at least it wouldn't be easy for them. i use 2 rachet straps on the front and this rack http://www.motorcycleramps.com/slik_stuff.htm with 1 strap in the back to secure side to side movement. I always test the tie down job by staking the bike and if the whole truck moves, then the bike is solid!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts