Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha R6 2004
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I am new to the forum and the reason I am here is that I want to turn my old R6 into a track bike.

Here is a some info about me:

My name is Nikolay and I am 26. I live in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe) and I've never been on a track yet. I own a 2004 R6 that I am refusing to sell it because I really love it. I want to start doing track days and I think that this R6 will do a perfectly job.
Since I dont know how hard and often I am going to ride I dont want to do any engine improvements for now. First I want to protect the bike from eventual crashes.

Here is a list of the upgrades I am planning to do:

• Engine guards
  • Frame sliders
  • Wheel Axle protectors
  • Front brake lever protector
  • Steering damper
  • Quick Shifter
  • Gear indicator
Can you direct me what brands / models to look for because I have no experience with the race parts. Also I will be really thankful if you remind me something important that I missed.

Best regards, Nikolay

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
118 Posts
You will be swapping out tires alot more frequently so if you can find a used set of wheels complete with rotors, that will help in the future. I'll also add captive spacers! Bike protection is definitely a smart first move. Frame sliders are hit and miss. Some guys use them, others don't because they can help the bike catch in a slide and flip it causing more damage.

Having the suspension setup for you is worth every penny. You don't need to start off with full Ohlins but at least get it sprung and the sag setup.

When looking at brands, just stick with known names. Ebay specials are what they are... R & G, Vortex, Woodcraft, etc are a safe bet.

Then save the rest of your money for track time and tires. Oh, and don't skimp on quality gear! Get to some schools and ask lot's of questions.

Good luck and have fun out there!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Hello everybody. I am new to the forum and the reason I am here is that I want to turn my old R6 into a track bike.

• Engine guards - Case cover sliders like woodcraft or vortex. Or you can just get the ones like GB that bolt over the stock covers.
  • Frame sliders - Not necessary and often a detriment.
  • Wheel Axle protectors Not necessary. You can get delrin spools for the rear. Maybe a "shark fin" for the sprocket side.
  • Front brake lever protector Get the kind that clamps onto the bar. Woodcraft, Vortex, etc. Cant use those with stock bars though.
  • Quick Shifter Not necessary. Youre not looking for 10ths of a second yet.
  • Gear indicator Not necessary... Get some seat time and it will be really easy to identify what gear you are in. A good exercise is to take a track map and write what gear you are in at every turn. (gear map) This is something that should be done IN your head... not glancing down to assure. Eyes should ALWAYS be up.
Can you direct me what brands / models to look for because I have no experience with the race parts. Also I will be really thankful if you remind me something important that I missed.

Best regards, Nikolay
Like @Wheelz96 says... gear, tires, and track time. Do not buy parts until the ones you are using are holding you back or not allowing a comfortable fit on the bike.
Adding this & that before you ever turn a wheel at a track is just a distraction. Good luck!!

·
Registered
Yamaha R6 2004
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much guys. I will go for:

• Engine guards
  • Swingarm and fork protectors
  • Hardbar protectors + front brake protector
  • I will play a bit with the front and rear sprockets
  • Tires and gear (I didnt meantion that before because I am always riding with semi slicks and top leathers)
I will keep you updated with my progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you so much guys. I will go for:

• Engine guards
  • Swingarm and fork protectors
  • Hardbar protectors + front brake protector
  • I will play a bit with the front and rear sprockets
  • Tires and gear (I didnt meantion that before because I am always riding with semi slicks and top leathers)
I will keep you updated with my progress.
Engine guards - yes
Swingarm and fork protectors can wait until later, if you get them at all.
Hardbar protectors ? (never heard of these)
Front brake protector - Not really needed when starting out. It's not going to protect your levers from a crash, it protects from being hit by another rider.
Get Clip-ons and an extra bar. Factory clip-ons break very easily. And your track day will be over from a light low side.

·
Tires tell no lies
680 Posts
I really wouldnt do much until you get a couple of trackdays done. Just get a set of good trackday tires, and go have some fun. Maybe some frame sliders, to limit damage from a lowside. Otherwise get some trackdays done. Then report back to us how fun it was and whats the next step. That R6 is still a great bike for beginners. Once you have a couple track days and figure it out then we will start talking about gearing changes, braided brake lines and brake pads.

• Get a full leather suit
  • get good track day tires
  • purchase trackday
  • get suspension sag set up before you get on track (trackside service)
  • have a great day
  • purchase frame sliders
  • purchase a second trackday
  • have a great day
  • report back to us and you will kind of know your first things you will want to improve.
  • buy gearing (520 kit -1/+2)
  • front steel braided lines
  • improved brake pads
  • Purchase another trackday
  • you will see improvements in your lap time coming into corners (better brakes), and coming out of corners quicker (gearing).
This should be good. you dont need the brake lever guard or clip ons etc.. unless you start racing but I think we are a ways away from that for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts