Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting my track bike ready for next season. I installed my track fairings today and have a GPR damper on the way.

I was wondering if you have any tips or tricks that I could do to the bike before the season? Any suggestions like removing of certain parts for weight reduction, etc. Please be specific.

Here are some pics of my new track fairings.

·
Hard Parked
2,154 Posts
Do you plan on using this bike for the street as well? I would look into getting a tank with a vortex or some kind of cap without needing a key. Also if you haven't removed AIS, do that. Clear windscreen for the track imo

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Have you decided who'll you'll sign up with for some dates at NJMP?
I did a couple of trackdays with nesba last year. I think I will do TPM this year. Not sure yet. Who are you riding with?

Do you plan on using this bike for the street as well? I would look into getting a tank with a vortex or some kind of cap without needing a key. Also if you haven't removed AIS, do that. Clear windscreen for the track imo
This bike is track only. I have a clear windscreen so I can swap anytime. Bike just looks so much better with the black screen.

I just looked up AIS removal and found the instructions. I will be installing a new air filter soon so will do this mod ad the same time. Thanks, just the type of suggestion I was looking for. :beerchug

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry for us northern folks, TD season starts in February in TX :( and we gotto wait couple more months
That is awesome. Is there any tracks around houston?

I'm going to try going to Jennings in March. If everything works out.

Season opener with NESBA at tbolt 4/2 4/3, do it.
Can't wait.

Two more months for me, 3/12 with absolute to get my race license. :D
How do you like riding with absolute?

dont know if you already had ur suspension setup, but i'd do that first.
So far I set up the suspension myself. Everything checked out according to instructions I found as far as sag. Then I tuned the compression and rebound by doing multiple tests rides on the street.

I don't have the cash right now for Ohlins.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
That is awesome. Is there any tracks around houston?

So far I set up the suspension myself. Everything checked out according to instructions I found as far as sag. Then I tuned the compression and rebound by doing multiple tests rides on the street.

MSR Houston. Check www.ridesmart.info, they are a class TD organization. I think they run MSR Houston Feb 14th or so.

there's a trackside Suspension vendor - Roger from OnRoadOffRoad suspension, he's pretty good, he can set it up for ya for $30 trackside.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MSR Houston. Check www.ridesmart.info, they are a class TD organization. I think they run MSR Houston Feb 14th or so.

there's a trackside Suspension vendor - Roger from OnRoadOffRoad suspension, he's pretty good, he can set it up for ya for $30 trackside.
how do they set it up trackside? do they measure sag, etc?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's say I tell them I want a quicker turn in. will they adjust for that?

Usually that would mean bringing up the forks in the tripples.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
Let's say I tell them I want a quicker turn in. will they adjust for that?

Usually that would mean bringing up the forks in the tripples.
ah "turn in" is not something you adjust on the bike. Its what the rider does.
You can play with rake & trail, wheelbase, or ride height... but if youre not battling for podiums or running within 5 seconds of the track record, kind of an unnecessary detail.

Personally Id invest in some chain/sprockets, set the sag and make sure the spring rate is suited for your weight. A decent set of tires (something of an aggressive street/track tire), rear sets & clipons adjusted to your comfort... then ride the balls off the bike.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
How do you like riding with absolute?
Luke Geis most recent post about weight reduction

I rode with Absolute at the end of the season. I'm gonna sign up for their gold membership or whatever it is this season. They are great people and run a tight ship. My buddy wrecked pretty hard and they are VERY serious about safety and legitimately took the best care of him as possible. I'm gonna stick with them for the majority of the season and do a few with team pro motion also tho since a couple friends run with them..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ah "turn in" is not something you adjust on the bike. Its what the rider does.
You can play with rake & trail, wheelbase, or ride height... but if youre not battling for podiums or running within 5 seconds of the track record, kind of an unnecessary detail.

Personally Id invest in some chain/sprockets, set the sag and make sure the spring rate is suited for your weight. A decent set of tires (something of an aggressive street/track tire), rear sets & clipons adjusted to your comfort... then ride the balls off the bike.
I have rearsets that need to be installed. Chain and sprockets will probably be next. I'm also thinking about braided front brake lines. I already got some decent tires last year that should last 2 more track days.

Luke Geis most recent post about weight reduction

I rode with Absolute at the end of the season. I'm gonna sign up for their gold membership or whatever it is this season. They are great people and run a tight ship. My buddy wrecked pretty hard and they are VERY serious about safety and legitimately took the best care of him as possible. I'm gonna stick with them for the majority of the season and do a few with team pro motion also tho since a couple friends run with them..
Thanks for posting the link. Some good info. I'm gona look into absolute.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts