Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick r6-forum google search but didn’t find anything so forgive me if this has been covered.

I hoped the really experienced guys *cough MELK-MAN, could share their approach or schedule for basic maintenance on their track bike. I had my Daytona for 2 years but we were constantly building/fixing/upgrading things so we did things as we went along. I'd love to have a guide to how often I should be doing certain things. Different people will have different opinions for basics like oil changes, but I'd imagine given the heavy use the components on a race bike see things are probably accelerated

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
A lot of it is going to depend on your pace. ie, guys chasing a plate in expert going through a set of tires in a weekend, where as I go through a set of tires in ... a season. Similar situation with fork oil, where top guys change it every few weekends ... I'll do it once a year.

Definitely curious to see if the guys that race seriously have a defined schedule / check list that they go over though.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Oil change before every track event. Filter every other.

Suspension refreshed every 6 months (off season and mid-season break)

Spark plugs every off season

Chassis maintenance every off season (steering head/swingarm pivot/etc)

Brake fluid bleed/flush every 4-5 weekends or if I feel like it.

New tires every weekend, old race tires used for the following weekend's practice.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
natedog pretty much has it nailed there.. can not tell you how important good tires are. Put off getting a new bike if you are not running new tires every couple of track days.
-good point on changing spark plugs every year or even sooner.. waiting longer could allow the plugs to get seized in the head. no need for expensive plugs. Stock cr10ek plugs do fine.
- I usually go a couple weekends on oil changes or so, but kind of depends on how many laps you get in. I also have 2 race bikes, so duty is shared. I to only change filters every other oil change.
-you could likely go 1x a year on shock service if you do forks every 6 months. The shock doesn't move as much as the forks (forks move 1:1 in travel, shock not as much due to linkage).
-Injector service every year or 2. (we do that :) ) You will be running lean enough to cause premature engine wear with even 3-5% fuel flow loss.
-Compression test and leak down test each year. (i rebuild motors each season but the extent of the build can vary)
-Measure stack height of your clutch pack every 6 months or so.. especially if racing (launches). not as important if you are just doing track days and rolling onto the track from pit-out.
-initial coolant flush/change now with Engine Ice, then good for a couple years or so.
-check the air filter each season. A little dirt on it is not a big deal.
-I use NOTHING but wd-40 on my chains. Spray on before we leave, spin wheel with my hand grabbing the chain in my hand with a rag to wipe off excess. no sticky lubes. I have 2 seasons on a current (expensive) chain on 1 bike, and the other is a year old. I have never had one get to the point it was bad, i usually pull em of the rr bike after a couple seasons and run em on the dirt bike till worn ..
-check the voltage at the battery terminals every few months (should read 14vt @ 5krpm)

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
natedog pretty much has it nailed there.. can not tell you how important good tires are. Put off getting a new bike if you are not running new tires every couple of track days.
-good point on changing spark plugs every year or even sooner.. waiting longer could allow the plugs to get seized in the head. no need for expensive plugs. Stock cr10ek plugs do fine.
- I usually go a couple weekends on oil changes or so, but kind of depends on how many laps you get in. I also have 2 race bikes, so duty is shared. I to only change filters every other oil change.
-you could likely go 1x a year on shock service if you do forks every 6 months. The shock doesn't move as much as the forks (forks move 1:1 in travel, shock not as much due to linkage).
-Injector service every year or 2. (we do that :) ) You will be running lean enough to cause premature engine wear with even 3-5% fuel flow loss.
-Compression test and leak down test each year. (i rebuild motors each season but the extent of the build can vary)
-Measure stack height of your clutch pack every 6 months or so.. especially if racing (launches). not as important if you are just doing track days and rolling onto the track from pit-out.
-initial coolant flush/change now with Engine Ice, then good for a couple years or so.
-check the air filter each season. A little dirt on it is not a big deal.
-I use NOTHING but wd-40 on my chains. Spray on before we leave, spin wheel with my hand grabbing the chain in my hand with a rag to wipe off excess. no sticky lubes. I have 2 seasons on a current (expensive) chain on 1 bike, and the other is a year old. I have never had one get to the point it was bad, i usually pull em of the rr bike after a couple seasons and run em on the dirt bike till worn ..
-check the voltage at the battery terminals every few months (should read 14vt @ 5krpm)
Good stuff dude. Some things I wonder if they are practicle for someone like me running slow B group pace and some racing. For example, how gnarly is a leak down test and injector service? Also I noticed I was having a hard time getting the bike in to nuetral this weekend, could that be due to clutch stack? I am getting some pretty good jumps on the starts :nocontrol shifts good otherwise with a quickshifter

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
a compression and leak down test are not expensive and can be done at the same time for the most part (air box out of way and plugs out..) and really should be done at least 1 time before you start hitting the track heavy just so you have an idea of the overall health of the motor.. before it explodes, oiling the track and hurting yourself and maybe others. If it checks out fine, it should be good for a couple seasons of track riding at a "b group" pace with basic maint.
Is it a must do thing ? no. If the bike isn't burning oil, starts and runs strong, etc. the engine is likely good to go.

The neutral thing? i don't know.. too much play in the lever can make it hard to find neutral (but make sure you have enough free play or the clutch will slip and wear fast).

·
2008 R6
7 Posts
My system is very similar to natedogs just we usually change the oil out at the end of track day while the bikes are still warm.

I get tires pretty cheap so i usually put a new set on ever track day...

Also a Comp test usually at the start of the year.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Well fcuk... Looks like I need to do some work after this season. Been changing oil with Motul 300V, distilled water/WW before the start of the season, spark plugs, and just did fresh seals In the forks... All that other shizzle dizzle, will def have to be done...

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
a 6-7 year old bike, that has seen lots of track duty/mileage, really needs to all the swingarm + linkage checked. Be careful with the bearings for the linkage. They are pin bearings that are free. If the bearing is dry, they will fall out all over the place. The swingarm and some linkage bearings are pin bearings but are held in by a race. There is a pasty grease that they pack these things with from the factory. it don't last long, especially if you use a pressure washer on your bike, or are in a arid climate (like TX). :)

I like the idea of servicing suspension when it's warm, but that is not always an option.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Leif,
Arent you getting ahead of urself? ("slow B group") :sing :lmao

Adam,
Even with just the 2300miles on mine, Im definetly going to check all that shit. The low mileage on a 5yo bike may have opposite issues than overuse. Perk of working at a shop I can get it done cheap, may just take the opportunity to replace it now just so I dont run into problems mid upcoming season.

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leif,
Arent you getting ahead of urself? ("slow B group") :sing :lmao

Adam,
Even with just the 2300miles on mine, Im definetly going to check all that shit. The low mileage on a 5yo bike may have opposite issues than overuse. Perk of working at a shop I can get it done cheap, may just take the opportunity to replace it now just so I dont run into problems mid upcoming season.
Lol, fcuker :321

1 - 15 of 15 Posts