Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently going over my 2004 R6 and when I popped open the intake I noticed there was only a mesh screen and no air filter.

There is some gunk and debris inside the airbox that I plan on cleaning out. Can I run the bike on the track without a filter and without any negative consequences or should I buy an air filter?

Should I cover the ducts up front during storage to prevent dust and debris from entering the intake and building up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured. I wouldn't really feel too comfortable running the bike without it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm currently going over my 2004 R6 and when I popped open the intake I noticed there was only a mesh screen and no air filter.

There is some gunk and debris inside the airbox that I plan on cleaning out. Can I run the bike on the track without a filter and without any negative consequences or should I buy an air filter?

Should I cover the ducts up front during storage to prevent dust and debris from entering the intake and building up?

Probably the last owner couldn't ride for shit, and to make him think he is going faster, he removed the filter. Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after trying to do a little digging, I haven't really been able to find more information on the mesh screen I have. The stock filter appears to be a foam element without any mesh screen. I've attached a picture of the stock filter and what I'm currently running in the air box.

Will that be sufficient for a track only bike or should I buy the stock filter element to put in the air box?

EDIT//
I'm an idiot running on no sleep and just realized that it appears as if the foam element goes on top of the mesh screen. Is that the case with the stock filter?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buy the filter. The mesh screen won't catch the small particles that can damage the engine. Can you run an engine without an air filter - sure. However, the risk of damaging the engine internally is high!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So after trying to do a little digging, I haven't really been able to find more information on the mesh screen I have. The stock filter appears to be a foam element without any mesh screen. I've attached a picture of the stock filter and what I'm currently running in the air box.

Will that be sufficient for a track only bike or should I buy the stock filter element to put in the air box?

EDIT//
I'm an idiot running on no sleep and just realized that it appears as if the foam element goes on top of the mesh screen. Is that the case with the stock filter?
Looks like the stock air filter but he removed the filter element.

Stock or race, just make sure you have an actual filter. I've gone off road a few times at the track. If I didn't have a filter all that sand would definitely get sucked into the motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered the filter element last night. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the help all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts