Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my clutch switch, but is there a way to make it where I can still start it in gear with the clutch pulled in?

For those of you who have relocated the rectifier where did you move it to and how did you mount it?

Did you guys keep the kick stand or remove it?

I'll update this as I have more questions. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you remove the clutch switch? Do you mean your blinker controls on the clutch side clip on?
Ye I removed all the controls on the left side. Blinkers, lights switch etc and the clutch switch was tied into that wiring harness.

·
return to target
19 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why would you need to start it in gear? The only thing I can think of is stalling out while in gear, but not sure when that would ever happen.

My kickstand is still on, but only because I can't break the bolts loose even with a 1/2" impact wrench...wtf.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I removed my clutch switch, but is there a way to make it where I can still start it in gear with the clutch pulled in?

For those of you who have relocated the rectifier where did you move it to and how did you mount it?

best spot for the rectifier is on the left side of the frame above the radiator, drill a hole and tap it to mount.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just out of curiosity, why would you need to start it in gear? The only thing I can think of is stalling out while in gear, but not sure when thald ever happen.

My kickstand is still on, but only because I can't break the bolts loose even with a 1/2" impact wrench...wtf.
Just for convenience really. I always leave the bike in gear so it would be easier to clutch it and start it than to find neutral.
I'm torn on the kick stand. seems like it would be a pain to always have to get off, hold the bike, and put it on the stand.

best spot for the rectifier is on the left side of the frame above the radiator, drill a hole and tap it to mount.
searched and that popped up but Melk man advised that was A bad spot for air flow and I'd rather not drill into my frame.

·
return to target
19 Posts
Just for convenience really. I always leave the bike in gear so it would be easier to clutch it and start it than to find neutral.
I'm torn on the kick stand. seems like it would be a pain to always have to get off, hold the bike, and put it on the stand.
I do that anyways and it is kind of a pain, but I've yet to drop it even after a particularly tiring session. If you have someone with you or even in a nearby pit, they usually offer to hold your bike while you get the rear stand up anyways. At least that's been my experience.

Now that I've mentioned I've not dropped it yet, I'll probably drop it next time I go to put it up on stands.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll Prly just remove it so I can sell it lol. Poor folk problems

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

do not.. i repeat.. do NOT relocate the rectifier on the 3rd gen bike. I know it looks all factory and shit :) but leave it where it is up in front of the radiator. i have seen frames broke when that thing gets pushed in when they relocated it upward on the frame. But more importantly, it doesn't get enough AIR up there. It's where it is for a reason, cause it gets wicket hot.. excess voltage gets turned into heat. Excess voltage generated from the higher than typical rpm's the bike sees on a track vs. putting around on the road. Heat has to go somewhere. the fins on the rectifier don't do the job they were designed to do when you move it out of the air flow (where it is now).
i lost 3 rectifiers. (2 on one bike, one on the other.. ). The first burned the plug on the DYNO the day i was buying it at Daytona. then 6 months later it burned another one (this was back in 2009). I moved it to the stock position, NO ISSUES SINCE. 2nd bike, burned up in 2010 at Carolina Motorsport park. Moved it.. NO ISSUES.
yea, pro teams found it cool to move. They also only race the bikes for 1 season. Or, if you live in a cold climate it may not be as big an issue. But EVERYONE that i know that moved it away from the stock position has burned it up.
Leave it.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read a thread earlier where you stated that about it burning up and being pushed into the frame. I was thinking under the battery tray with some shims to get air flow between it but If you say don't move it I'll take your word for it.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I read a thread earlier where you stated that about it burning up and being pushed into the frame. I was thinking under the battery tray with some shims to get air flow between it but If you say don't move it I'll take your word for it.

different charging system on the 1st and 2nd gen bikes, it was fine on those bikes back there (stock position was under there). But not on this bike.. it gets good air flow up in front of the rad. Some pro guy put it up on the frame and suddenly everyone want's to put it there.. they originally though it would get ripped off in a crash. Well let me tell you, if you crash bad enough to rip the rectifier off from it's stock position you have BIGGER PROBLEMS than replacing a $90 rectifier and a few wires. LOL !!!
It will eventually melt if you move it if you live anywhere but someplace where you are on track when it is 60F or below. Maybe still then, cause the first time as i took delivery of my "new to me" 08 at Daytona, it fried on the dyno. Not enough air flow as he was testing to ensure the bike was under the hp limit for ASRA pro races. (then i lost one on the same bike 6 months later and one shortly after on my OTHER bike).

Again, since moved.. in 4 seasons.. i have not lost another one (knock on wood).

·
Gettn' it!
145 Posts
Does removing the left handle controls a task of simply removing the controls and unplugging from harness, or do I have to do something with the clutch switch wires

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
Does removing the left handle controls a task of simply removing the controls and unplugging from harness, or do I have to do something with the clutch switch wires
ur going to want to keep the wires that go to the clutch lever sensor so you can start the bike in gear, what i did was cut all the wires that i didn't need and left the two for the clutch.

·
Do a pop a wheelie !!!
170 Posts
check the org. that you will be running with, some require removal, or wire tie of the kickstand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
do not.. i repeat.. do NOT relocate the rectifier on the 3rd gen bike. I know it looks all factory and shit :) but leave it where it is up in front of the radiator. i have seen frames broke when that thing gets pushed in when they relocated it upward on the frame. But more importantly, it doesn't get enough AIR up there. It's where it is for a reason, cause it gets wicket hot.. excess voltage gets turned into heat. Excess voltage generated from the higher than typical rpm's the bike sees on a track vs. putting around on the road. Heat has to go somewhere. the fins on the rectifier don't do the job they were designed to do when you move it out of the air flow (where it is now).
i lost 3 rectifiers. (2 on one bike, one on the other.. ). The first burned the plug on the DYNO the day i was buying it at Daytona. then 6 months later it burned another one (this was back in 2009). I moved it to the stock position, NO ISSUES SINCE. 2nd bike, burned up in 2010 at Carolina Motorsport park. Moved it.. NO ISSUES.
yea, pro teams found it cool to move. They also only race the bikes for 1 season. Or, if you live in a cold climate it may not be as big an issue. But EVERYONE that i know that moved it away from the stock position has burned it up.
Leave it.

Thank you so much for this valuable piece of advice. You've fixed an issue thats ruined multiple trackways and a saved me a lot of money. Cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In regards to being able to start the bike in gear. It is essential if you are planning to race in some organisations. Not an issue for track day heroes. It can be very dangerous if you stall it on the grid and can't get it started quickly. Being able to start the bike in gear helps by giving the stalled rider at least a small chance of getting away before someone runs up their backside. There have been some terrible accidents from these types of incidents at club level.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
yes stalling can be dangerous if you are at the front of a grid. Ive seen guys forget to put the bike in gear and its the same result. I know CCS & WERA stagger positions to keep it as safe as possible. Most times everyone is "shooting gaps" on the grid and 90% of the time riders are timid... so a strategy to gain some positions off the start.
If there were some way to gauge adrenaline... a starting grid would be a pretty fertile area for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts