Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting an 04 R6 to a track bike and I'm wondering about all the extra wire hanging off the wiring harness that I'm not going to be using. Branches for the headlights, taillights, brake lights, horn, stuff like that. Some of it involves relays that are going to be without anchor points in the race fairings.

Since such a big deal is made of shedding as much weight as possible can I safely eliminate branches of the wiring harness, those extra relays and blinkers without mucking up the wiring in a way that will interfere with the bike's running?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
the only reason i'd suggest cutting all the excess off is for simplicity. it's nice to know that there aren't any extra unnecessary wires when you're working on the bike. it makes it especially easy when swapping engines so there aren't any extra plugs you think you forgot. it can also help when you crash... less to damage. and if you save all the extra wire, you can have it with you in case you need to repair a broken connection at the track.

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
You can snip of the ends that come off the harness, but the best thing to do is unravel the electrical tape or whatever is around the harness, and strip back all the unnecessary wiring to get every ounce you need gone.

I'm with Snowbiz though. Not so much about the weight, but about the simplicity of taking fairings off, working on the bike, etc.. with less connectors in the way.

-Ant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My real point is getting rid of the clutter, not shedding a few ounces of weight. The headlight relays have lost their mounting points and the wires for the tail and brake lights, turn signals, etc are just useless, dangling wire appendages now. I put in a new rear brake line yesterday and took out the rear brake light switch while I was at it. That helped a little bit to clear up the rats nest where the Power Commander plugs in. And I'm concerned that lose, useless wires are easy to neglect, until one day you idly thumb the high beam switch or knock the turn signal switch and something shorts out.

Besides, I'm kind of a neat freak about somethings and all the extra wire is chaos.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
zip ties?

if you ever are considering racing though, one snip of any of those lines and you'll lose superstock eligibility. just something to consider if you are, if you aren't then unwrap the electrical tape and trace the unnecessary plugs back and snip where appropriate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip about race rules. I looked up the WERA rule book and it does say that you have to be able to plug in a head light or what ever and turn it on. So yeah, snipping the harness would make the bike ineligible.

I don't know that I'm actually going to race. I just want to get a race license as a way to celebrate turning 60 this year. Seemed like a cool thing to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts