Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing my homework on exhaust fitment, before my wood craft armour bodies track bodywork arrives, and it seems like it'll be a tight fit. I've already bought some heat shield to throw on the fairings.

I'm running a stock exhaust system, with only a m4 gp style slip on muffler. Is this cheapest, with doing it right thing to do? cut the back of the headers off, and weld a connector pipe to the muffler and get a power commander since theres no back pressure w/o a cat?

I've heard several people talk about grabbing a set of 03-05 headers, any input on what thats all about?

thanks.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
So I'm doing my homework on exhaust fitment, before my wood craft armour bodies track bodywork arrives, and it seems like it'll be a tight fit. I've already bought some heat shield to throw on the fairings.

I'm running a stock exhaust system, with only a m4 gp style slip on muffler. Is this cheapest, with doing it right thing to do? cut the back of the headers off, and weld a connector pipe to the muffler and get a power commander since theres no back pressure w/o a cat?

I've heard several people talk about grabbing a set of 03-05 headers, any input on what thats all about?

thanks.
i think you're over thinking it. i have an 09 r6 with armour bodies race fairings and a stock exhaust and there were no fitment issues at all. none...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the pictures once again man. i plan on painting my track bodywork in the same vivid orange color. do you know the color code?

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
thanks for the pictures once again man. i plan on painting my track bodywork in the same vivid orange color. do you know the color code?
nope. and, my advice is this; don't bother. the problem is if you paint it with exactly the stock paint, you will likely pay double what the fairings cost you. my paint guy looked around and got a paint that was "close enough" and saved me a shit-ton of $$$. even in direct sunlight, the best i can do is tell that there's no metal flake in the race fairings paint.

if you do the same, you'll be happy you did. i'm a TOTAL perfectionist about goofy things (like paint) and i was worried that it wouldn't look right. i was very happy...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i sorta figured that. do you know who atleast makes the paint so when i go to a painter i can give him somewhere to start looking ? and btw, seems like you and i have similar personalities, lol. will the stock windscreen work with the track bodywork? sorry for all the questions man.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
thanks, i sorta figured that. do you know who atleast makes the paint so when i go to a painter i can give him somewhere to start looking ? and btw, seems like you and i have similar personalities, lol. will the stock windscreen work with the track bodywork? sorry for all the questions man.
no worries. i'll check with my paint guy and see what he used. it may be a day or two before i get back to you on that, tho.

as far as the windscreen; there is a tab at the bottom of the stock windscreen that isn't notched out on the race plastics. so, you either need to notch the race fairings or grind off the tabs on the stock screen to make it fit right. the aftermarket screen i got from puig does not have the tabs, so it was a direct fit. also fits on the stock fairings without any problems...

s3aturnr

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
nope. and, my advice is this; don't bother. the problem is if you paint it with exactly the stock paint, you will likely pay double what the fairings cost you. my paint guy looked around and got a paint that was "close enough" and saved me a shit-ton of $$$. even in direct sunlight, the best i can do is tell that there's no metal flake in the race fairings paint.

if you do the same, you'll be happy you did. i'm a TOTAL perfectionist about goofy things (like paint) and i was worried that it wouldn't look right. i was very happy...

s3aturnr
Any dupont paint dealer should have the color matching machine they can use to match the paint exactly. U just need to bring em a flat piece of the bodywork. The front fender I brough had an area just big enough.

That sucks you couldn't get the exact paint color. It's out there, trust me, we just painted 3 sets with perfectly matched and identified paint colors. Dupont reproduces ALL the colors yamaha uses. :fact

And it's only like $60 a pint and $23 for the reducer.. For 140-150 you got all the paint you need to do a 2 color paint scheme..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts