Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of taking my act to the track. How much money should I plan on spending for a one day track adventure? I know how to add but since I’ve never been, I don’t want to encounter any hidden expenses or something I didn’t plan for. This is what’s on my mind as far as what I need to pay for:

1. Track day
2. Tire
3. gas
4. lap timer

What does an average track day costs?

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
Tires, entry fees, travel expenses, lodging, food, fuel, tire change fees, miscellaneous consumables. Also potentially budget for mechanical failures, repairs, and injury expenses. Make sure you have good health insurance, and that the inability to show up for work on Monday isn't going to be devastating to you financially. Also consider your motorcycle insurance and what they will and will not cover.

If you cover the big things, you can usually count on others in the pits to get you through your first weekend. There will be things you will forget and will need that you don't realize ahead of time, but I find that the track day/race community is very helpful in getting newcomers on their feet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Track day - 100-150 normally
Tires - If you can run whats on there, do it. Normal range of 120-160 for a good set of takeoffs, mounted and balanced at the track. If you want to have your street tires put back on at the end of the day, figure another 25.
Gas - I normally use a full tank, and most of a 5 gallon jerry can in one day. So figure 25 dollars for gas.
Hotel Room - 50-100/night if you have to stay. If the track is only a 2 hour drive, it might be worth waking up early for.
Gate Fee - Most tracks charge 10 dollars to enter, cash only.
Garage(optional) - you can rent an indoor garage with power and air at most tracks for around 100 bucks/day. You can also fit like 6 bikes in there so get together with some friends. This really only helps if you need power for tire warmers, etc and don't have a generator
Food/Drinks - Some places hand out free water, others don't give you anything. Bring enough money to get breakfast, lunch and dinner at a fast food place if you need to. Also, bring at least a 12 pack of water/gatorade with you. Figure about 30 dollars for food for the day.
Pictures(optional) - Most trackdays will have a professional photographer there who normally charges around 60 dollars for the days photos.
Gas- I know I already said gas, but that was for the bikes, not for your truck. Depending on how far away the track is, 50 bucks to fill up your trucks gas tank.

As far as the lap timer goes. You don't need one. The best thing to do is bring a friend along. It's a good idea anyway because if you get hurt, you'll have someone to drive home for you. Then, when he's sitting around bored, give him a stopwatch and a pad of paper.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
DealsGapR6 said:
Tires, entry fees, travel expenses, lodging, food, fuel, tire change fees, miscellaneous consumables. Also potentially budget for mechanical failures, repairs, and injury expenses. Make sure you have good health insurance, and that the inability to show up for work on Monday isn't going to be devastating to you financially. Also consider your motorcycle insurance and what they will and will not cover.

If you cover the big things, you can usually count on others in the pits to get you through your first weekend. There will be things you will forget and will need that you don't realize ahead of time, but I find that the track day/race community is very helpful in getting newcomers on their feet.

Good luck!
+1

Well the first trackday is usually the cheapest. Most people ride their first few track days with street tires.

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
R6SSV650S said:
I’m thinking of taking my act to the track. How much money should I plan on spending for a one day track adventure? I know how to add but since I’ve never been, I don’t want to encounter any hidden expenses or something I didn’t plan for. This is what’s on my mind as far as what I need to pay for:

1. Track day
2. Tire
3. gas
4. lap timer

What does an average track day costs?

First time out is pretty simple depending on the track day organization. I coach for Team Promotion and to get on the track the first time you don't need to safety wire anything. All you need to do is tape up your lights and I recommend removing your mirrors. Other then that 170 or so for the track day, assuming your street tires have some life in them N/C, we don't allow novices to use lap timers. Other then that I recommend coming fully gased and with a five gallon container full. So assuming 3 bucks a gallon for gas you are looking at 10 bucks for lunch and 30 bucks for fuel. 40 dollars extra plus fuel to and from the track.

Are you a crasher? No? How do you know? It becomes much more expensive if you crash. Since you can buy cheap bodywork for 350 bucks, do you really want to risk your expensive street stuff? Everyone crashes, question is what do you want to risk? I paid 150 bucks for a set of tank sliders because I don't have 15g's to build another bike. Do you have 1200-1500 to buy new street bodywork if you crash? I never crashed on the street but seem to average about 2-3 per year racing. That part gets expensive. Oh and the truck and trailer to bring the bike back and forth.

Z

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful. To sum it all up, I guess I'm looking at $500-$1,000 to be safe. With that, how much track time do you actually get?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Most places do 20 minutes sessions. So you'll get 20 minutes in the 9 o clock hour, 20 minutes in the 10 o clock hour, etc. So if people fall alot then you lose out on some time. It might not seem like much, but if they run through lunch, you end up getting 160 minutes of track time, riding as hard as you can, which is enough to wear anyone out. 500 is probably in the right range when you're starting up.

If you're looking to go to a track for the first time, and are from southern cali, I would suggest buttonwillow or streets of willow. The big track at willow is really fast and not that technical, its a fun track, but fast lap times just come from not being a wuss in turn 2 and 8. Fontana is a great track, with lots of runoff room, but it normally runs around 300 for a track day. Streets of willow desperately needs to be repaved, but its a nice little technical track and is really fun. Buttonwillow is amazingly fun run counter clockwise and is pretty smooth, its just a farther drive from the LA area than the other tracks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
R6SSV650S said:
Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful. To sum it all up, I guess I'm looking at $500-$1,000 to be safe. With that, how much track time do you actually get?
MORE than enough! around here theres 3 groups and they each get 20 min sessions that start at 9 and go till 1 then a 1hr lunch break from 1-2 and then more riding 2-5. i know 20 min doesnt seem like a lot but by the end of the day you will be EXHAUSTED!

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
expect to spend 500 bucks. And bring an extra hundred just incase. You will need mostly cash while at the track so bring plenty of SMALL BILLS. Most of the tracks are in B.F.E and local gas stations and stores can't seem to break large bills. Don't ask how I know. Nothing more frustrating than to have money that can't be spent. Just use you'r street tires. You won't rip through them to bad. Keep a cool head. You don't want to crash. As far as track time there seems to be a large number of people that can't make it all the way through the day. I bet you will find that 25%-50% of riders in you'r group will pack up and leave b-4 the last session. Best advise is to come prepared. Don't be tapeing headlights and wheel wheights while at the track. Get there early, set up, get to tech inspection, and be relaxed. The first couple sessions will rack you'r mind a little. about the third one you will start opening up a bit, and the 5-6 session you will be tired but ready to rip the track apart. Most of all have fun....

·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys all comments are greatly appreciated. Hopefully it will stop raining soon. I might wait for a day at Willow Springs since it’s a little cheaper there but I’d really like to hit California Speedway because it’s closer.

·
Registered
695 Posts
fyrefyter0143 said:
60 for photos from Dito (gotbluemilk.com)
umm 20 bucks for food,if you dont bring any food.
food is always the least of my worries

180-220 for TD
80-100 for gas in truck
30 for gas in bike
60 for hotel

2 bags of ice, 4 pack of redbull, 6 gatorades and 6+ waters

·
Registered
204 Posts
:nono this thread is depressing. thinking about the money it costs to go out there, makes me realize that i could nearly own a small house by now.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Watch out. You do a few track days, like it, and get addicted! Next thing you know it's racing, and that will really cost $$$.

·
Dibba daba
3,067 Posts
ill throw my 2cents in.

The most expensive is the first time you hit the track. You need a good lid...full leathers, boots and full wrist gloves. Thats 1k easy.

Change out your coolant with water wetter
Good Tires
Suspension Set up (you want this...$20 is avg i see done at the track)
Remove the Mirros, remove the fuses from your brake lights, turn signals, headlights.
Gass ofcourse for the bike...you'll fun a full take for sure
Gass for the truck when you bring a trailer. (do your best not to ride to the track incase you crash...its been done before)
Food (pack a lunch...dont get Mc D's)

Things you dont need but may want....

Pictures (gotta have your first trackday pics for sure)
Lodging (you could sleep in your truck or throw up a tent, you can usualy sleep at the track)
You souldnt worry about a lap timmer your first few times out.

also make sure you get a good provider that offers classes to start out. you will learn a ton...and be ready man, once you hit the track the street is not the same at all. Your gonna be hooked.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Usually you don't need to track prep the bike (other than lights and mirrors). You can use whatever coolant you use on the street, don't need to worry about safety wiring etc.
Make sure the machine is in good mechanical condition, there is rubber left on tires, and chain is not too tight or loose. You will definitely need full leathers, but some track day orgs will rent leathers at the track for around $50. You do have to call ahead or you risk them not having your size.

·
Dibba daba
3,067 Posts
Nex said:
Usually you don't need to track prep the bike (other than lights and mirrors). You can use whatever coolant you use on the street, don't need to worry about safety wiring etc.
Make sure the machine is in good mechanical condition, there is rubber left on tires, and chain is not too tight or loose. You will definitely need full leathers, but some track day orgs will rent leathers at the track for around $50. You do have to call ahead or you risk them not having your size.
ehh...you dont want antifreez in your coolant from all the providers around here. have to have water wetter

1 - 20 of 32 Posts