Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Which gloves should replace my Teknic full gauntlets

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
"MEA R6"
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had a pair of Teknic gauntlets for the past 3 years now. Never had a problem with them. They fit great and they have been extremely durable. I could not be any more satisfied with a pair of track/street gauntlets. I only wear gauntlets when I ride. I believe safety on the street and track is of the utmost importance. When I started riding, I wasn't this way. I lowsided my 02 r6 in 2011 and have stressed to all riders to wear their gear since then....not to go into the full story but it was a low speed no injury accident that made me more conservative in my riding gear.

Fast forward to last weekend, I lowsided the same R6 (pictures to follow) and my gloves did a great job protecting my hands. The problem is that now I need a new pair of track gauntlets.

I'm undecided what brand to go with because Teknic no longer makes the gloves that I had, or any gloves that I can find for that matter. So far I am interested in the RS Taichi GP-EVO, Alpinestars GP Tech, Held Phantom II, and the Knox Handroid.

I cant stress how much I love the scaphoid protective pucks that my Tecknic gloves had. The pucks did their job and as such, I didn't have any injury on my hands, not even so much as a sore wrist. Therefore, my concern is that if I go with the Phantom II, I'd miss the palm pucks. If I went with the A* GP Tech or Handroid, I'd still get the palm puck but not a signficant patch and spend a little more....From the pictures you can see how much the Teknic pucks wore down from contact with the pavement.

The price point from the Held to the RS Taichi isn't much, but the Knox is moderately more and the A* is considerably more expensive. So, I need help. I am leaning toward the GP-EVO, but I've always wanted the Phatom II, I just think I'll miss the pucks. And go.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
My alpinestars gloves (GP tech)are nice but I did not pay full price... more like 1/2 price. I wouldnt pay $300 for them.

Ironically my <$100 Arlen Ness gloves have been crashed at least 20 times... and are still good enough to use. :lmao

My previous teknics lasted about 2yrs with 1 crash. Mostly I sweated through them alot so the stitching was the weak point. I could have them restitched but they are in the old gear pile now.

My old Helds are still kicking and Id trust them in a get off.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
be sure to check out ballistik apparel gloves. they're ama proven, and crash like a champ. haha... the boys i know that race in the ama, when they crash, they crash like it's their job. and both the suits AND gloves walk away without a single issue other than scuffs. PLUS they're the most comfortable glove i've ever put on my hand, and i wear the helds currently - just haven't worn through these yet. :)

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
...Ironically my <$100 Arlen Ness gloves have been crashed at least 20 times... and are still good enough to use. :lmao ...
You have crashed your motorcycle at least 20 times? You should consider doing something about that.

My brother told me to check out Insurrection Performance...Anyone purchase these or try them out yet?
Insurrection Performance (used to be called Insurrection Racing) was located in the Thunderhill Pro Shop for a short while a couple seasons ago. These gloves had generally positive feedback amongst all the AFM racers who tried them.

·
"MEA R6"
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are all awesome suggestions and options. I'm definitely going to do more research before I settle down into a decision. Good discussion guys!

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Just to add more research for you to do... My wife and I have been wearing the Racer R-safe gloves since last fall. I really like them. Once broken in the fit and comfort is excellent. It's got great protection features including Knox sliders on the palm.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I think I am going to stay away from Alpinestars gloves from now on. They protected my hands from major injury during my highside, but both my wrists and several fingers felt like they had been beaten with a hammer.

Worst part is that even though they stayed together pretty well, after the next time I wore them they started coming apart at three or four finger tips. My crash was mostly tumbling without much sliding at all. I doubt that the gloves would have held together very well had I slid for any distance.

I would also expect more than one crash out of a set of $200 gloves. I'm not saying they should be invincible for that price point, but to literally have my fingers sticking out of the tips after one accident with minimal sliding is just unacceptable for something that is billed as protective equipment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the RS Taichi EVO and had two crash on them. They held up great and if it weren't for the marks on the palm sliders and some rash on the wrist you wouldn't be able to tell that they were down twice.

Also, they are very comfortable which goes along way.

Good luck on the search.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
I've had two pairs of Taichi Gp-Evos. I went down at the track in the first pair at 90 mph and they held up great and protected my hands perfectly, insurance bought them off me otherwise I would still have them. Still on the second set and they are just as comfortable as the first pair and a great quality glove overall. Love the knox palm sliders on them too!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the RS Taichi, haven't crashed yet (knock on wood) but they feel great, quality leather and overall protection.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Just so you know the a* gp pro are on closeout for 200. I can't remember if it was riders discount or stg. I'd rate them better than techs but my last few a* gloves were disappointing. No crashes and seems starting to bust.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
In my experience A* gloves are hit and miss. I have a pair of GP Plus that I've been riding on some track, but mostly street since 2010. They have A LOT of miles on them. I also have a pair of Octane shorty gloves that have help up OK, but there isn't a ton of use on them.

I also had a pair of GP Pros that fell apart after like 4 track days. A riding buddy had a pair of GP Pros that survived THREE crashes; then he finally bought another pair.

Not really worth the gamble when there are so many other good choices, IMO.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts