Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been doing some research in preparation for doing my first track day next riding season, and one thing that came up is insurance coverage while on the track. I called Progressive, my original insurance provider to check, and they do not cover high speed related claims, so I set out to find an insurance company that did. I called State Farm (my car insurer) and it turns out they do cover "non competitive" riding, and they were able to beat Progressive's premium.

I went from paying ~$200 for liability (~$1400 comprehensive upgrade) to paying $132 liability (~$1200 comprehensive upgrade). The comprehensive coverage is as much as I pay for my car, but I suppose that is normal for a 21 y/o male... :thumbdown

It should be noted that liability coverage would not cover a track day accident - thats what comprehensive is for. I plan to switch to full coverage for track days and trips only - i would rather save my $ for mods and gear (barring an accident, of course).

I do have to give kudos to Progressive though. At the time, they were they cheapest, and they lowered my rate this year, and they've been pretty easy to work with. I also give props to State Farm, as they are local and are always lowering my car rates (and now hopefully my bike).

If you know of any other insurance co's that cover track days, post em up! :toocool:

Add: So far, Allstate and State Farm both (to the best of our knowledge) will cover a noncompetitive track day incident.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I really like State Farm, and I didn't know they'd cover a track day. Thanks for the info, hopefully never need to use it though like ^^^

·
myspace.com/spider1329
387 Posts
I have State Farm and I was told they will not cover the track even if you were taking a track school. I thought that was lame.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
If they do cover you on the track and you crash, they'll either pay you and drop you or increase your rates.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
If they do cover you on the track and you crash, they'll either pay you and drop you or increase your rates.
Same as any other regular accident.

I'm scared to see what it is going to do to my rates. I have never had a wreck on my insurance. Though there is no police report, so maybe if I switch insurance companies they won't be able to have a record of it. Unless of course they have some insurance database like carfax.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
first of all why would you tell your insurance co you crashed at a race track?
secondly, why would you seek insurance specifically for track riding and pay all year for it when you might go once or twice?
third, everyone should know liability doesn't fix your bike no matter where you crash.
fourth, it doesn't matter about police reports. often you just exchange info at crashes in your car on the roads.
well, ok you didn't call the cops when you crashed. same damn thing.
some of you guys back yourselves into corners.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
first of all why would you tell your insurance co you crashed at a race track?
secondly, why would you seek insurance specifically for track riding and pay all year for it when you might go once or twice?
third, everyone should know liability doesn't fix your bike no matter where you crash.
fourth, it doesn't matter about police reports. often you just exchange info at crashes in your car on the roads.
well, ok you didn't call the cops when you crashed. same damn thing.
some of you guys back yourselves into corners.
I think you are misinformed.

Many people don't have TRACK ONLY bikes. So the guy who rides street 90% of the time would like to know that if he does go to the track two or three times a year he will be covered in the event of a crash.

You are definitely right on liability. That covers anyone you hit and their damages....not yours.

Police reports are needed many times at an accident. If there are serious injuries where medical payments will be in question, you better be sure there is a police report if you want your story to have any value to it. Even if there are no injuries, when it comes time to have your vehicle paid for or fixed your insurance can fight you without a police report and usually win.

And no one said anything about telling the insurance you were at a track. But in some cases it has to be like that. There are no two exact same instances.

As always....no disrespect :)

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I think you are misinformed.

Many people don't have TRACK ONLY bikes. So the guy who rides street 90% of the time would like to know that if he does go to the track two or three times a year he will be covered in the event of a crash.

You are definitely right on liability. That covers anyone you hit and their damages....not yours.

Police reports are needed many times at an accident. If there are serious injuries where medical payments will be in question, you better be sure there is a police report if you want your story to have any value to it. Even if there are no injuries, when it comes time to have your vehicle paid for or fixed your insurance can fight you without a police report and usually win.

And no one said anything about telling the insurance you were at a track. But in some cases it has to be like that. There are no two exact same instances.

As always....no disrespect :)

actually I never needed a police report when I broke my leg on my bike.
again, why would anyone tell the insurance they crashed the bike at the track?
if for medical reasons, you shouldn't be relying on your bike insurance at all for that. that's what real health insurance is for. a motor vehicle policy isn't enough by a long shot. my broken leg cost my insurance $20k.
look how much that kind of coverage premium is on your bike..
you'll be paying $5k a year for it.

you never tell them you crashed at the track. I myself and I know plenty of guys that didn't tell them and the insurance co didn't really care where it happened.
they try to get you to give a report so they can deny your claim or drop your ass. if the police report says you were most likely speeding or it was your fault or if it might have been the other person's fault. (anything to get out of paying is the name of the game to them)

I've already been though this shit a few times. I know how it works.
and like I said, some of you guys tattle on yourselves and put yourself into corners with no way out. you guys just need to get wise to the game and play it right.

how stupid is it to tell your insurance company that you were racing it at a track where you lap after lap hit over 100mph? that alone they can drop you for if they want to.
take your bike home, call the insurance co and tell them you did it down the street. how can they prove you wrong? I guess some of you would be dumb enough to call the cops if you did crash and get a nice fat ticket to go along with your crashed bike.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
if for medical reasons, you shouldn't be relying on your bike insurance at all for that. that's what real health insurance is for. a motor vehicle policy isn't enough by a long shot. my broken leg cost my insurance $20k.

you never tell them you crashed at the track. I myself and I know plenty of guys that didn't tell them and the insurance co didn't really care where it happened.
they try to get you to give a report so they can deny your claim or drop your ass. if the police report says you were most likely speeding or it was your fault or if it might have been the other person's fault. (anything to get out of paying is the name of the game to them)

and like I said, some of you guys tattle on yourselves and put yourself into corners with no way out. you guys just need to get wise to the game and play it right.

how stupid is it to tell your insurance company that you were racing it at a track where you lap after lap hit over 100mph? that alone they can drop you for if they want to.
take your bike home, call the insurance co and tell them you did it down the street. how can they prove you wrong? I guess some of you would be dumb enough to call the cops if you did crash and get a nice fat ticket to go along with your crashed bike.
Telling everyone to commit fraud on a public forum...:nono

If they insure track days they will insure it no matter where you fell so what's the deal. Insurance companies usually refer to track days as a motorcycle school, so that's why they insure it. If it was a timed race they would not.

If you tell them you were racing they won't cover you, it needs to be a controlled time event. Going 100mph on the track is no where close to going 100mph on the street.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts

Medical reasons meaning if someone were to hit you. Even low rate insurance policies have decent medical payments for instances when you cause injury to someone. Usually 25k per person 50k per accident is the minimum. Medical insurance added for yourself on your own policy is ridiculous for sure.

Again, the police report can help you or hurt you. If you weren't doing anything wrong why is there a need to be worried?

Like said above, fraud is risky and not worth it in many situations.

·
Pigs can fly!
1,160 Posts
Hmm. Has anyone tried to add collision coverage for a day or two at a time? I'm thinking it'd be good to have for a two day trackday I'm thinking of going to, just in case :sing

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Rider Enhancement course :D My INS covers everything as long as it is not a Timed event. Call and ask, it does not hurt. And I have crashed my bike before, Never made a ploice report, and never had any trouble.....and if you are worried about crashing at the track then you should not do it...Because Now you will crash just because it is in your head. Im just sayin'

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm. Has anyone tried to add collision coverage for a day or two at a time? I'm thinking it'd be good to have for a two day trackday I'm thinking of going to, just in case :sing
yes, you can do it - thats what I did for my 3 week road trip. I asked the State Farm agent point blank if I could upgrade for the event and downgrade back, and he said its cool as long as you dont do it too often. He said it was free but (at least for S.F.) you have to do it during business hours through your local agent.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rider Enhancement course :D My INS covers everything as long as it is not a Timed event. Call and ask, it does not hurt. And I have crashed my bike before, Never made a ploice report, and never had any trouble.....and if you are worried about crashing at the track then you should not do it...Because Now you will crash just because it is in your head. Im just sayin'
What insurance do you have?

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
I have American Family, But In the process of switching as my rate has gone up yet again for no reason. I went from 24 a Mo to 103 and all I get is a Restructure BS....But my Truck/car/house went down a bunch. I still only pay 150 a month for all of it which is were I was at before

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^I would never have guessed that an insurance co would cover a track day incident but after I saw that some members have been covered I started checking around. No, insurance is not in any way mandatory, but if there is a chance you can have a spill covered, especially if injured, why not give it a shot. Of course, this will boost your rates, but like I said, it can't if the option is there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts