Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I did a Ridesmart track day/track school on the 5th at Motorsports Ranch in Cresston, TX. I know there was at least one other forum member who attended - maybe he got some pics, too.

I rode in Level 1, since it was my first time with Ridesmart, and my first time to run the track in this particular configuration. Anyway, had a blast and Ridesmart put on a very well organized and fun track day.

I welcome any critique from you guys!

·
Registered
695 Posts
you look crossed up, get your chest on the tank and your head down a lot more...like they say "kiss the mirror". plenty of time to learn though, welcome to the addiction!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I've heard it said a 1000x's by the pro's, there is no such thing as the proper body position. you guys need to get that metality out of your heads. it has nothing to do with how fast you can go through a corner.

take Mic Doohan for example, world champion Moto GP rider. with the craziest body position I've ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paytheon said:
Great pics. Looking good on that R6.
Thanks, man. I agree there is no one correct body position, but do I seem crossed up to anyone else? My instructor said I was doing well, just gave me a few pointers on some lines.

I should probably be over the tank more, and if I was, I would be "kissing the mirrors" as they say. I like to lower my lead shoulder and let that guide me through the turn (thats one of the body positioning points they taught as well).

Anyway, did anyone else make it to Cresson on the 5th, and do you have any pics?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. Try to get your head down where your mirror should be. No pro here, just some advice I've been given. And maybe get your outside leg up against and gtripping the tank in turns.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
prdstm0nke said:
Thanks, man. I agree there is no one correct body position, but do I seem crossed up to anyone else? My instructor said I was doing well, just gave me a few pointers on some lines.

I should probably be over the tank more, and if I was, I would be "kissing the mirrors" as they say. I like to lower my lead shoulder and let that guide me through the turn (thats one of the body positioning points they taught as well).

Anyway, did anyone else make it to Cresson on the 5th, and do you have any pics?
Actually, if you read YamaDan's thread on this subject, he talks about how you slide your butt off the seat by sliding around the tank in the direction you want to go. This means your chest and head will probably not be directly above your tank. To me, you looked like you were more upright and might need to position your chest and head a bit lower. You looked fine to me. You had your shoulder and knee pointing in the direction of the turn. The important part is you were looking out into the turn. You did fine brotha. You know how I know? You had fun!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
one thing about lowering your body and head down more, it lets you hang on and accelerate hard without using your arms to hang on. hanging on with your arms is a no no. it can create headshakes etc..

·
2007 R6
1,019 Posts
Your riding position looks great. There are alot of people that will say you need to do this and you need to do that. Ride alot and that will come in time you have a really good base to start with. My first trackday I looked like I was standing up :dunce: it takes time don't over think it. :cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
Speedfreak_x77 said:
where is cresston tx at? I am in the north dallas area and been looking around for tracks in the area without any luck..nice pics by the way!

Dude, you are like a spit away from there...here is google maps link for it...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=cresson,+tx&ie=UTF8&ll=32.801128,-97.180939&spn=0.786089,1.2854&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1

You should come for the last track day with RideSmart. It is in College Station this time. There will be quite a few folks from your area too. It will be on Nov 24 (Saturday).
Go to their site to see details: www.ridesmart.info.

·
Ride it like ya stole it!
143 Posts
Prdstm0nke, i thought i'd post up a few shots so you can compare your shots, and you get an idea of what these guys are talking about with their advice.

Stoner

And for Blue03R6, Mick before becoming world champ (Prdstm0nke, this is what these guys mean when they say crossed up)

And being world champ! There is a difference!!

The fact of the matter is, any real racer doesn't have "A" set riding style or body position. It's very common to hear of riders changing their style or body position during races to compensate for reduction in fuel loads, tyre wear, a certain corner etc. However there are techniques that do make you go faster, have more control over the bike, minimize negative effects on the suspension, and increase tyre wear.

Max :flex:

·
Registered
21 Posts
mick doohan is special. no one should be compared to him, except for rossi.

the reason that riders are told not to twist their hips around the tank is so that way they don't run into any issues adding input into the bars when they rotate around the tank (which is what most non-mick doohan's do).

yes, good riders have to change their style based on tire wear and changes in weather and sometimes even passing.

however, a new rider riding at a track day should really work on getting the right lines, then body position. once you learn the line, it's your body position that enables you to stay on line. to me, i think your lower body position is more important than your upper body (mostly because i start to rotate my hips because when i started riding at the track, i wanted to be like mick doohan). what i found was i am not mighty mick, far from it. if you get the lower body right, the upper body seems to just naturally fall in line. what i've seen in recent years are a lot of new riders who are "looking through the mirror" and going really slow and not finding the line or staying on line if they do. this is because end up rotating their hips and like to make turns where there's straight lines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:) Hey guy since it was your first track day have some fun and listen to your instructor you paid your money for....!!!!

Now that you have a had a taste of what you are getting into and have an idea what you need to work on, build a plan around what is important to you first...ie body position, lines etc... no one can tell you what is most comfortable to you! This is a serious sport that has harsh consequences if you oops!!!! :scared :jacked

Take your time, technique is more important than speed right now. Get comfortable with that first and before you know it you will be as fast as the best of them.

Their so many applications that go on when entering a corner, exiting etc... little things that you would not believe are essential to making your corner entry exit smooth those are the things I would suggest you work on before anything else.

Like It has been mentioned there is no one riding style better than the one that gives you the confidence to do what you do at your comfort level. Continue to get coaching from an instructor and it will all come together

Twissta, :cool:
P.S all this is easy when your looking in from the outside..but when it is your turn
it can become over whelming when you are trying too accomplish your goals.....all of the seasoned riders went through the very same thing your going through don't rush yourself PACE yourself.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts