Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Combination of the photographer's and my pics. I'm still a huge noobie but I think I did better than last time, at least. Kinda sucks my level of progression looks so low in pictures. :thumbdown

You can see here the problem I was doing. Instead of applying steering input, I was relying on moving my upper body off the bike to turn -- or what my instructor called, "muscling the bike." Unfortunately, he didn't tell me this until after the very last session out. :thumbdown

Also, something interesting the track photographer caught:

Dressed and ready to ride.

People's bikes across from us.

More bikes.

Me trying to capture my wimpy tire wear.

And a view you southerners don't get to enjoy: fall.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Damn that guy didn't wanna let his bike go.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Combination of the photographer's and my pics. I'm still a huge noobie but I think I did better than last time, at least. Kinda sucks my level of progression looks so low in pictures. :thumbdown
Hey jw what the name of that track is called. im also from Mich and have been wanting to do a track day someday.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Looking good. I bet your boyfriend is proud. I can imagine the scene.

Friend: Where is your girl at today?

Boy toy: she took her bike to the track to ride it.

Friend: your girl races her bike at the track. How cool is that! Did she go alone?

Boy toy: yeah, she went with a friend, they ride together.

Friend: DOOOOD your girl is soo cool. I bet she gets all kinds of attention from the guys huh?

Boy toy: Yeah it is cool that my girl rides.

Friend: you better hope she doesn't find something more fun about the other guy she went to the track with. Cause if I were him I would be all over that.

Boy toy: STFU A-hole!

Friend: Just sayin..........

Anyway. Back on point. from what I can see you are doing what many refer to as " Riding Proud ". This is where you pretty much plant yourself on top of the bike and don't move around that much. This is an easier way of riding simply because it take less movement to do, hence more attention for other things. You will notice however that your arms are very rigid, and the energy is being transfered more down on the bars, than through them. If you work on getting your chest on the tank, you will see that your arms will bend more allowing you to push through the bars, instead of down on them. This will help make turning the bike easier due to increased leverage. It will also help induce a more relaxed and less rigid grip on the bars.

I would also work on getting that butt of yours off the seat a little more so we can see more of it. J/K...... But seriously get your ass off the seat more. Don't be afraid to over exaggerate the butt off seat thing. It feels like you are hanging off but your really not. Get that but crack over the edge of the seat and stick that knee out.

Doing those two things will help by setting anchor points. If your chest is on the tank you can use your elbow to lock onto the tank as well. This combined with whichever knee is to the outside of the turn, pressed firmly against the tank will stabilize you quite well. This will allow you to do the next exercise much easier. Relax completely your grip on the LEFT handlebar while turning. Do not let go, just let the bar flop in your hand. You should notice that as you let the left bar go the bike will fall into the turn easier. This is a sure way to tell that you have to firm a grip on the bars and that you are to rigid with your upper body. As you put your chest on the tank you can relax the grip on the left handle bar going either left or right. Going left you will just open your hand a little so you can still push on the bar.

To put your chest on the tank and get your arms in a bent and less rigid position you will find that you may feel a little crunched up. To remedy that, don't hesitate to move your butt further back on the seat. This will make it easier to get your chest down and keep your arms comfortably bent and able to push through the bars.

These are all things you can do while riding your favorite roads. The body position you have will work, but if you can work on just those few things it will help add confidence. Looking good either way. Have fun and keep on ridding........

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
AS usual great advice from Luke:cool:LMGM I agree 100% with Luke about the body positioning. Keep working on that, the progression will come in time.

·
cruisin for a bruisin
315 Posts
Luke you just helped me out alot also, thanks..

Great pics also, just dont rush, I have ran off the road once (up a driveway thank god)on purpose instead of lowsiding, because I thought I could run 60-70 thru all the turns on the twisties I ride in Ky with the better riders. But since I remembered where I belong its alot more fun.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey jw what the name of that track is called. im also from Mich and have been wanting to do a track day someday.
It's called Grattan Raceway. It's in Belding, MI, by Grand Rapids. We run witha group called Sportbiketracktime

Looking good. I bet your boyfriend is proud. I can imagine the scene.

Friend: Where is your girl at today?

Boy toy: she took her bike to the track to ride it.

Friend: your girl races her bike at the track. How cool is that! Did she go alone?

Boy toy: yeah, she went with a friend, they ride together.

Friend: DOOOOD your girl is soo cool. I bet she gets all kinds of attention from the guys huh?

Boy toy: Yeah it is cool that my girl rides.

Friend: you better hope she doesn't find something more fun about the other guy she went to the track with. Cause if I were him I would be all over that.

Boy toy: STFU A-hole!

Friend: Just sayin..........
Actually, I go to the track with my boyfriend. I just didn't put any of his pics up. :) When I run the track in my car, I'm sure the above scenario happens, though! :laugh

Thanks for the advice, Luke! I was a little more relaxed than my last track day. My instructor was actually saying that I can use more steering input to lean the bike instead of me using my positioning. I was kind of leaning the top half ofmyself off the bike on the inside side to help turn. He was saying I should focus more on actually counter-steering. Sadly he didn't tell me this until after my last session. :cuss

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Nice pics. I see what you mean about your body...

I don't want to give tips as I'm also a noob but I'm sure with time your BP will get better.

What did it for me was getting closer to the tank and I had a mental note on turns, to align my nipple with the center of the tank.... Same as "kiss the mirror" but it felt more natural.....

I guess I did give a tip.. Well that worked for me and I felt better in turns...

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
Looks like he was willing to sacrifice himself to keep his machine from taking an asphalt beating (LOL), and with the cost of repair, I could hardly blame him.
:stupic Looking food Nancy! Keep it up you will get the hang of it!!

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, guys for being so supportive. I was really beating myself up for not making more progress.

I just wish the season here wasn't ending so soon. I want another track day to progress! I feel I'm going to stagnate over the winter. :thumbdown

1 - 20 of 59 Posts