Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Touchdown!
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm making this thread to gather input from the veterans regarding spare parts that may continue one's track day in the event of part failure or minor crash. I've seen some A group riders go down, come back to their garage, and be back up running and teched within a session or two.

I'm trying to cover this list keeping in mind about being financially conscious.

What I have gathered so far is which should be in a tool box or storage space:

1. Left & Right Clip On (Either OEM or Aftermarket)
  2. Left & Right Foot Peg (Either OEM or Aftermarket)
  3. Brake Lever
  4. Clutch Lever
  5. Radiator Cap
  6. Stator
  7. Rectifier
  8. Front & Rear Brake Reservoir
  9. Various Hoses
  10. Various Fluids (Distilled Water, Brake Fluid/Hydraulic Fluid, Motor Oil)
If there's anything else you can think of, please let me know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive had to tape my fairings back together once, so a roll of suitable tape (we call it 100 mile an hour tape but dunno what its called over there)
spare lockwire and pliers if you get scrutineered
a spare fairing stay.

depends how much effort youre prepared to put it in to get back on track if you drop it? if its a part that is going to take me more than an hour to repair Id be calling it a day and going home.

so for me the list would be things that can be
1) likely to fail under race conditions, or crucial parts that may break in event of a crash
AND
2) can be fixed in an hour or less

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
dont laugh... when I first got into racing trying to compile a list like yours... my buddy opens his trailer door and showed me his spare collection. It was a whole "B" or "rain" bike ready to ride! :D I laughed. He never needed it... so maybe he was just plain lucky for be prepared.
I actually hated working on bikes at the track, at first. Mostly because it was a mission of improvisation.

·
Touchdown!
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
An entire spare bike makes a lot of sense. However, I don't think the average track day goer has the coin to have a B bike. I was/am still am thinking about picking up a new bike since I paid mine off. That felt good. I could see me trailering two bikes for a track day, but to have two dedicated race bikes - ehhhh! That's a financial challange simply because I need something to ride for the street. I need a solution.

On the flip side, two twin R6s for the track, along with a Grover Cleveland for the street would be spot on, mate. Time to get my money up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts