Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
first post- Ive been going to track days this summer and I've been interested in switching to slicks. In the past I've been using bstone bt003 and i love them but I'm getting to the point where I'm much faster and I'm trying to step my game up. I was just going with battlax slick but I'm all ears. i guess my question is what slick should i be using? (aside from choosing a company) Is there a specific slick that should be used for the yamaha r6?

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Are you able to to maintain a pace that can keep the appropriate amount of heat in that specific tire? If not, you are just wasting money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you able to to maintain a pace that can keep the appropriate amount of heat in that specific tire? If not, you are just wasting money.
the track day i go to is all day. 5 sessions of 20-25 min each. I have tire warmers and the break between each session 40 min. 3 total groups. Novice intermediate and advanced.

Edit- When it comes to the pace yes i believe id be well off.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Which group are you in? I don't really see the need for a full blown slick or race DOT until you mid pack advanced and above or you are racing. Just my .02

There are great trackday specific tires for a fast pace such as the Michelin super sport, Dunlop Q3, or the Pirelli Superbike Pro. Check out sportbiketrackgear track gears website for detailed review on these different brands to chose which is best for you. It mainly boils down to rider preference on brands.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=10692

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
first post- Ive been going to track days this summer and I've been interested in switching to slicks. In the past I've been using bstone bt003 and i love them but I'm getting to the point where I'm much faster and I'm trying to step my game up. I was just going with battlax slick but I'm all ears. i guess my question is what slick should i be using? (aside from choosing a company) Is there a specific slick that should be used for the yamaha r6?
here are my thoughts:

buy the tires from the vendor(s) at the track days you attend. if they have pirelli, get them. if they have bridgestone, get them, etc...

you probably won't see a giant difference between slicks and it's important to support your trackside vendors.

i run michelin because that's what they sell at the track days and races i attend...

s3aturnr

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

Attachments

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
180$ a rear...I can get a set of q3s for that just about. I dread getting faster, my wallet can't keep up.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
180$ a rear...I can get a set of q3s for that just about. I dread getting faster, my wallet can't keep up.
Going fast is expensive...

How fast you wanna go?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I'm still mid pack int. Running q3s, stock suspension, and stock brake system except pads. I wanna be Marquez fast but not happening lol

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Going fast is expensive...

How fast you wanna go?
yup. that's why i backed off and simply started enjoying my seat time. then it got to where i was having more fun the night before and in the pits than on the track. so now i just party with my riding buddies and barely ride anymore... :laugh

i save a ton. :lmao

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I'm still mid pack int. Running q3s, stock suspension, and stock brake system except pads. I wanna be Marquez fast but not happening lol
You can still run Q3's at a slow-mid "A" group pace, but you will definitely notice the additional grip of race DOT's or slicks. I podiumed several times as a Novice and ran my first year in "A" group on stock suspension, so you're already set up. :D

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,059 Posts
The only mod I would do at this point other than making sure your suspension is setup is an aftermarket brake line. You can go well into advanced group with that setup.

As far as OP my first year racing I used Pirelli SBK Pro trackday slicks. They are an endurance compound so they'll last you a while and they have a decent enough amount of grip to run some good times on. They won't compare to a proper race compound but they'll last a hell of a lot longer and save you some $$$.

And yes....going fast is freaking expensive....I'm down to just control riding for now and might get back into some regional races next year.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts

TD slicks will last a hell of a lot longer than q3's. Especially at Jennings. I don't think one or the other will
Give you any better lap times tho.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad I saw this.
Im also currently thinking of going to slicks-- but not sure I need them. I am in the upper tier of the intermediates, and running a stock R6 on Pirelli SuperCorsa SC and warmers. I was fine until my last track day (5th track day with these tires) and my bike was really sliding on me-- front and rear tire... mostly exiting corners and some on highspeed braking. I looked at the rear tire and it looks like the sides are really worn... you can see the lightning bolt pattern groves completely gone on the side, but the tire has maybe 500 miles of track days... So what do you guys think?

I was looking at the bridgestone Batlax V01 or V02 but I noticed the V01 come only in 190 rear and the V02 in 200.... isnt this taking away from our quick turning? The R6 comes with 180 so this kinda raised a flag.

Any suggestions?

·
Rad Ass
333 Posts
If you want Slicks for the maximum track performance, then look no further than the Bridgestone Race Battlax SLICK !
If you want a 180 size for the rear in the Slick that part number should be MCRR4728 180/640 R17 (Soft Compund) / MCRR4729 180/640 R17 (Medium compound) / MCRR4727 180/340 R17 (Ultra Soft). Also Make sure your suspension is up to par for your riding style and pace, a good suspension set up will make your tires last longer and maximize tire performance and your overall track experience !
COMPLETELY DISAGREE. For one, if you got 500 miles out of a Pirelli SC, you got your money's worth. There is no need to switch brand names of tires, which would most likely require suspension tweaking, for what seems to be a shot tire.

Stay with the Pirelli SC's or the new Michelin EVO's. DO NOT switch brands because you are experiencing tire slipping after 500 track miles. I am lucky if I can get 3 sprints (21 laps including warmup) out of a rear before it is toast.

Side note, if you went to a Stone, you would be switching to an inferior tire. Not trying to start a debate, just stating a fact that is proven by lap times in club races.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Glad I saw this.
Im also currently thinking of going to slicks-- but not sure I need them. I am in the upper tier of the intermediates, and running a stock R6 on Pirelli SuperCorsa SC and warmers. I was fine until my last track day (5th track day with these tires) and my bike was really sliding on me-- front and rear tire... mostly exiting corners and some on highspeed braking. I looked at the rear tire and it looks like the sides are really worn... you can see the lightning bolt pattern groves completely gone on the side, but the tire has maybe 500 miles of track days... So what do you guys think?
Uhh... 500 miles on a SuperCorsa SC is a SHITLOAD of miles. I assume you are running the SC2?

#1 the difference in grip between the slick and the DOT (for the SuperCorsa) is negligible
#2 you are nowhere even remotely near the limits of those tires at your pace
#3 those tires are DEAD -- you even point out that they are completely gone! There is a wear bar in the middle of that side groove; you have gone completely beyond that. Now, to the credit of the Pirellis, I love how they wear as, while they become slower, the fall off in grip is very predictable.

Now, should you still go to slicks? Sure. The primary benefit is they wear better. If you like the Pirelli SC (and you should, they are awesome :YEA ), then just get the slick. Why are you considering switching to Bridgestone?

And are you running the 180/55 or the 180/60? FYI the Pirelli 180/60 = the 190 from "the other guys".

·
Motosylum Racing #132
911 Posts
Im also currently thinking of going to slicks-- but not sure I need them. I am in the upper tier of the intermediates, and running a stock R6 on Pirelli SuperCorsa SC and warmers. I was fine until my last track day (5th track day with these tires) and my bike was really sliding on me-- front and rear tire... mostly exiting corners and some on highspeed braking. I looked at the rear tire and it looks like the sides are really worn... you can see the lightning bolt pattern groves completely gone on the side, but the tire has maybe 500 miles of track days...
You could honestly be running street tires and no warmers. Those tires are roached, sir. Very roached. On top of that there are a bunch of heat cycles on them. There are wear bars in those "lightning bolt" grooves and once you are level with them then you are down to base rubber. That is not as sticky. You got your dollars out of that tire. I might get 2-3 track days IF I flip the rear and it isnt a abrasive track.
The SC slick and DOT are essentially the same compound (0, 1 or 2) and there are guys and girls running silly fast times on those tires. Toss on a new set, start thinking about shocks (the correct spring and new valving on the stock one is good for now, or purchase a good used one) and tear up the track. Oh, and don't let your tires go past the wear bars too much. Think tires are expensive? Try crashing! That is expensive! :lmao

1 - 20 of 31 Posts